Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumper Plugs came in this morning and I installed them in 10 minutes, simple job that really cleans up the front of the Bu, all you need is a drill and 1/4" drill bit and your good to go :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
You all are lucky!!!!

Nice job, it looks so much cleaner now.

Here in Ontario Canada the front plate is the law, how painful is that for the owners. GM does so much work to make nice lines on the Malibu and do a great job so styling, and than the Gov't goes and spoils it by putting a frikin license plate on the front! :(

Sorry to get off track there....Looks really nice, I like how it turned out.

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bumper Plugs came in this morning and I installed them in 10 minutes, simple job that really cleans up the front of the Bu, all you need is a drill and 1/4" drill bit and your good to go .
Malo: Looks great.

Seems your that M'bu is happy to get that bracket off its face too, I can see it grinning from fender to fender.

DrD

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes sir, that totally changes the look of the front end. Awesome difference. I like it a lot, but can't do the same because of the rules here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Were the original plugs holding the LP bracket to the car made entirely of plastic or were they metal or metal covered plastic. I was wondering how easy they were to drill out.

I'm also guessing you had to order 2 sets of plugs since they sell them in pairs.

I stopped by the local dealership today to see what they would charge to take it off and fill the holes and the bidyshop said $400 to $500 because they would take the front clip off and prep and paint etc. I passed.

·
Registered
701 Posts
billzebub - WOW - That's pretty expensive....Have you considered taking it to reputable body shop in your area and getting a quote?

Personally I don't go to the dealership for anything unless it is warranty related as there rates tend to be alot higher than privately owned companies. Maybe something you want to consider. I suspect a local body shop would do it for a lot less, and probably just as good of a job!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Were the original plugs holding the LP bracket to the car made entirely of plastic or were they metal or metal covered plastic. I was wondering how easy they were to drill out.

I'm also guessing you had to order 2 sets of plugs since they sell them in pairs.

I stopped by the local dealership today to see what they would charge to take it off and fill the holes and the bidyshop said $400 to $500 because they would take the front clip off and prep and paint etc. I passed.
There were 3 metal plastic covered rivet like plugs holding the bracket, I only ordered one set and the guy threw in the third plug, but when I got the plugs they are the same size as the plugs holding all the side panels in the trunk 1/4", cheaper route would be to get a few plugs from the dealer and paint the plugs yourself ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Malo83 - Great tip and good to know....Hmm....Wonder if I would get caught without the front license plate....hmmm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drilled my bracket off tonight. Holes are hardly noticable on the Red Jewel color. I'm not even going to plug them for now and see what I think in a month or so.

·
Registered
178 Posts
it's so cheap to do this......(this was just discussed on saturnfans.com)

The plugs/plastic push pins are like $2 from Home Depot or the hardware or automotive store (in the special fasteners section) & a bottle of touch up paint is like $5-10

·
Registered
246 Posts
You all are lucky!!!!

Nice job, it looks so much cleaner now.

Here in Ontario Canada the front plate is the law, how painful is that for the owners. GM does so much work to make nice lines on the Malibu and do a great job so styling, and than the Gov't goes and spoils it by putting a frikin license plate on the front! :(

Sorry to get off track there....Looks really nice, I like how it turned out.

Cheers
Wish i could take mine off too. In Texas, it's the law to keep the plate on. Very disapointed.:mad:

·
Registered
246 Posts
It really does take away from it. I'm going to replace mine with a chrome plate, but have it lowered so you can see the entire grille. Just have to drill two more holes into the bumper, but it will look a lot better.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Bumper Plugs came in this morning and I installed them in 10 minutes, simple job that really cleans up the front of the Bu, all you need is a drill and 1/4" drill bit and your good to go :D
Hold on. Malo, you're in Cali, right? Arent front plate mandatory there? I know in SF Bay area they are :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.