Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is not a Torrent forum, however I've been having issues with starting my torrent for quite sometime now. It just won't turn over or fire sometimes. When I took it to the dealer they couldn't find anything but an error code which they removed but I have been searching the net and found something about upper-end carbon build up. Its a 2006 the engine should not have any carbon build up!

Does anyone have a Torrent and has had the same issues or knows about them?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an 06 Equinox, that does that every so often. It won' start on the first key cycle, but always on the second. Aways a warm start too. I have seen people saying it could be the BCM, carbon build up all sorts of things. I haven;t heard of any fixes for it though. But since it does it rarely I'm not worried about it.

I doubt its' carbon build up, especially since the 3400 has been around for a long time. I would tend to lean towards a BCM issue, since it seems more specific to just the Nox and Torrents. I'm going to try the Bosch IR Fussion plugs in it. I've had a good results with them in other cars.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I have an 06 Equinox, that does that every so often. It won' start on the first key cycle, but always on the second. Aways a warm start too. I have seen people saying it could be the BCM, carbon build up all sorts of things. I haven;t heard of any fixes for it though. But since it does it rarely I'm not worried about it.

I doubt its' carbon build up, especially since the 3400 has been around for a long time. I would tend to lean towards a BCM issue, since it seems more specific to just the Nox and Torrents. I'm going to try the Bosch IR Fussion plugs in it. I've had a good results with them in other cars.
It's probably irrelevant, but I had similar starting issue in a 05 Vibe. If I would shut off the engine after a while of driving and tried to start it in, say, 30 minutes, it would not start the first time. But second crank always worked ok. GM partially addressed that with a PCM update. They called the issue "Hot soak".

·
Registered
512 Posts
Bad spark plugs maybe? Strange problem...I haven\'t heard of this over at GMI except for one of the admin\'s Equinoxes, but that thing was a lemon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I doubt its' carbon build up, especially since the 3400 has been around for a long time. .
Its been around a long time but it is made in China now. I would hope they are using quality metals but so many of Chinese goods are made cheap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you think it is carbon build up, it is possible. it is cause from excess carbon that wasnt burn when fired. i have had it happen to 4 wheelers. it cause it not to run or start correctly. just take it to a highway or an old road and 'beat' on it a little . open it up a little bit, do it off and on. It good to 'baby' your car a little but it is also good to open it up also to burn the carbon out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This sounds like a Fuel Pump problem... I bought a used Pick Up last year that would only start on the first try when warm or recently shut off. Was easy to deal with untill this spring when it got worse and worse.

Turned out to be the fuel pump not sending enough pressure to fire it up. Thats why it would start on the second try. The Computer only let the pump cycle for two seconds... I thought it would run till the pressure was high enough. So when I tried it the second (or third) time it had almost 4 seconds (or more) running to gain the required pressure.

Try this: turn the key on and listen for the pump... when the pump stops turn the key again (you may have to turn it to where it turns over but quickly turn it off and try again to cycle the pump). Then try to start it... If it works, I say its the fuel pump.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its been around a long time but it is made in China now. I would hope they are using quality metals but so many of Chinese goods are made cheap.
I know. China and quality are 2 words that don't go together.

Already had the lower intake replaced on the NOX due to a leak, which is very common.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.