Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any real engine mods? Ported heads, cams, headers? All of my forum searches for 'port' comes up with subwoofer boxes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
for a second, i thought i was back on the GTO forums. im not too sure theres much of a market for mods like that. hell, there really isnt a CAI.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
for a second, i thought i was back on the GTO forums. im not too sure theres much of a market for mods like that. hell, there really isnt an aftermarket CAI to replace the factory CAI.
Fixed that for you.

RwP

·
Registered
574 Posts
No man, its not really the best engine to build up like that. I haven't seen anything like that and probably never will. Plus, theres no real tuning solutions, so those types of mods would probably hurt more than help.

I think the few of us with Intakes and Exhausts kinda top the lists for "engine" modifications.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hah, I thought I was back on the G8 GT boards for a minute!

You bought the wrong car if you're looking to go fast. I bought the Malibu instead of a used '08 G8 GT because I don't trust myself. I'd spend $20k on the car and $10k or more on mods within a year. lol

At least all the little "personal touch" mods I do for the Malibu are cheap.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm not looking to drag everyone at every stop light :) the ecotec is a great motor to mod - if the bu had tuning solutions. peak horsepower is too high up in the rev band to be accessible for normal driving - i don't usually see more than 4000 rpm. i hate the lag below 3500 rpm, and the late downshifts, and shifting in turns. when i step on the gas i expect it to go. some of it is the tranny tuning. i really should have gotten a six speed.

a good porting job will increase flow, and hence velocity, and will boost power everywhere, and sharpen throttle response - it will be nicer to drive. i believe there's at least 20% more power in this motor just in the heads and headers. not having to downshift to pick up some speed, or going up hills, will improve fuel economy too.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You have the 4 banger? List things like that from the start to get better responses.

The ectotec is GMs most popular engine good up to around 1000 horses, maybe not your particular one though. You can do an incredible amount to these engines, but without tuning it's just gonna make it worse by trying to flow more air than the car is expecting and skewing your AF ratios and more. I don't know if there is anything out for these 4 cylinder computers yet either.

And... I can't imagine your serious about fuel mileage, because no one who looks for a 20% improvement keeps there foot of the throttle enough to benefit from it... It sounds like something i said to my parents when I was 16 haha

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
You really expect people to do internal engine work to a Malibu? If you want big power gains, you shouldn't have bought a Malibu. There is nothing out there for these cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20% is not a big gain. that's going from 169 hp to 200 hp. CAI, headers, and exhaust should get you close...before touching the heads. it's a nice boost over stock - close to one second quicker in the quarter.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
20% is not a big gain. that's going from 169 hp to 200 hp. CAI, headers, and exhaust should get you close...before touching the heads. it's a nice boost over stock - close to one second quicker in the quarter.
That will not get you anywhere near close to a second on the 1/4 mile. It takes A LOT to gain a second, and that small gain will get you maybe 3 tenths....

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,162 Posts
That will not get you anywhere near close to a second on the 1/4 mile. It takes A LOT to gain a second, and that small gain will get you maybe 3 tenths....
20% on the street would be plenty effective! If I could take my V6 up 20% it'd go from 252 to ~300 and I'd smoke anything I wanted to.

But on the strip 20% of a paltry 169 just ain't gonna cut it. You need another 100-400% to be competitive.

The Malibu's 2.4 doesn't like CAI's. Unless or until you can find a way to tune the computer it'll throw codes 'til yer blue in the face. On the street that matters in states with smog inspections. Kentucky ended theirs in late 2005 so we are not burdened with one anymore. On the strip it doesn't matter if emissions are controlled or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
https://www.trifectaperformance.com/supportedvehicles.aspx

These guys claim to support out vehicles. I'm seriously considering ordering a tune. I'm just a bit weary since i haven't been able to find anybody else with a tuned Malibu. Here is an email they sent me a while ago.

Hi Jesse,

We can definitely tune your vehicle for you, with surprisingly good gains (2.4 owners see a gain of 10-20HP and up to 20TQ at the wheels!)

The tune is $300, the security deposit is $200, and shipping fees depend on what equipment we send to you. We can send you either a GT Tuner handheld, or an EZ Flash USB cable. You can optionally purchase the EZ Flash cable if you like (requires a laptop with Windows on it). Shipping on the tuner is $35, and shipping on the cable is $15.

If you’d like to order, just fill out the order form at https://www.trifectaperformance.com/order and we’ll take it from there! Thanks!

- Vince Geglia
Trifecta Performance, Inc

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
20% on the street would be plenty effective! If I could take my V6 up 20% it'd go from 252 to ~300 and I'd smoke anything I wanted to.

Thing is to get those gains on a 3.6 the amount of work wouldn't be worth the investment. Even with about 300 ponies the 3.6 probably would be a low 14 sec car. Quick yes, but many cars on the road are quicker then that.

·
ASE Certified Technician
3,072 Posts
We can definitely tune your vehicle for you, with surprisingly good gains (2.4 owners see a gain of 10-20HP and up to 20TQ at the wheels!)

The tune is $300, the security deposit is $200, and shipping fees depend on what equipment we send to you. We can send you either a GT Tuner handheld, or an EZ Flash USB cable. You can optionally purchase the EZ Flash cable if you like (requires a laptop with Windows on it). Shipping on the tuner is $35, and shipping on the cable is $15.
With California emissions, an ECM calibration alone is going to get you 20 ft. lbs. of torque and 10-20 HP? I wouldn't count on half of that and even then, you're going to be WOT to get most of the gains anyway. If you were in an area where you didn't have emission tests, I could see trying it. In California, I just don't see the gains being anywhere close. See if they'll refund your money if it doesn't give what they said. I'd be interested to know what you did actually gain on a dyno test.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,162 Posts
Thing is to get those gains on a 3.6 the amount of work wouldn't be worth the investment. Even with about 300 ponies the 3.6 probably would be a low 14 sec car. Quick yes, but many cars on the road are quicker then that.
I agree - way too much money for what you'd get. And true again - too many cars out there are way quicker than even a 300-horse 'Bu could overcome. But if I picked my battles intelligently... ;)

With California emissions, an ECM calibration alone is going to get you 20 ft. lbs. of torque and 10-20 HP? I wouldn't count on half of that and even then, you're going to be WOT to get most of the gains anyway. If you were in an area where you didn't have emission tests, I could see trying it. In California, I just don't see the gains being anywhere close. See if they'll refund your money if it doesn't give what they said. I'd be interested to know what you did actually gain on a dyno test.
If you have a track nearby you can possibly make an appointment to run your car stock and record all the data. Get the temp, barometer, humidity, etc. as well as ET and reaction time. Then if you tune it, do it all again with the tune. If you can turn the tune on and off, do it at the same outing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm more than a little bit skeptical of a custom tune without having the car on the dyno.

There is a LOT left in the cast ports. porting lowers air resistance, hence pumping losses, and improves efficiency. increasing velocity/flow also increases tumble and improves combustion efficiency. so you get more air/fuel in, and burn it more completely.

a maf just wants smooth airflow. nobody can really say how the computer will like modifications - certainly no worse than other cars. remember, we're not changing cams and causing more reversion.

30 hp doesn't seem like much, but for a high 16 second car, it brings ET down about a second! the gear spread in the 4t65 is horrendous. cutting shift times can take a tenth or so off (need to crack the computer!)

·
ASE Certified Technician
3,072 Posts
If you massage the exhaust ports to smooth them out, yeah I agree you'll probably make a marginal improvement but you have to take material out of the right place or you'll see little or nothing. Playing around with the intake side you're going for the same thing but now you're more likely to affect the MAF readings, how much, I don't know. Will the ECM notice or care? Maybe, maybe not. The first inch under the valve seat, the seat transition to the throat of the runner, a 5 angle valve job, less restrictive valves, sure you might make improvements but just keep your expectations in line, you might not get all what you think. These engines aren't like they were years ago, the intake and exhaust are more free flowing, heads are pretty good right out of the box. Remember you're getting more power out of that 2.4 than was coming out of a 5.7 25- 30 years ago. The bang for the buck was higher in the 5.7 of yesteryear because it WAS a poor setup right out of the box. Do what you want but pull some runs at the track or get some dyno numbers, otherwise it's all what you tell yourself you got. Best of luck to you whatever you do.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
I'm more than a little bit skeptical of a custom tune without having the car on the dyno.

There is a LOT left in the cast ports. porting lowers air resistance, hence pumping losses, and improves efficiency. increasing velocity/flow also increases tumble and improves combustion efficiency. so you get more air/fuel in, and burn it more completely.

a maf just wants smooth airflow. nobody can really say how the computer will like modifications - certainly no worse than other cars. remember, we're not changing cams and causing more reversion.

30 hp doesn't seem like much, but for a high 16 second car, it brings ET down about a second! the gear spread in the 4t65 is horrendous. cutting shift times can take a tenth or so off (need to crack the computer!)
Why go through all that to make a slow car less slow? You would be better off, and it would be more cost effective to trade it for a V6.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
because i want an efficient daily driver, and a second fast toy. you're right, the malibu isn't good at either.

the 2.4 may have more PEAK hp than a 350, and HALF the torque.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.