Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a 1.5 leak oil externally from the head gasket? It appears i have an oil leak coming from the head gasket but no other signs of a head gasket failure. Oil is on both sides of the engine (exhaust side and intake side) tracking down both sides. The Hughes point of the leak is below the head.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Has anyone had a 1.5 leak oil externally from the head gasket? It appears i have an oil leak coming from the head gasket but no other signs of a head gasket failure. Oil is on both sides of the engine (exhaust side and intake side) tracking down both sides. The Hughes point of the leak is below the head.

Technically you do have a head gasket failure. Its a problem I knew would come up with these
new turbocharged motors.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,517 Posts

I read maybe 90% of the posts here in gen9 and haven't read a single report of leaking from the head gasket for either the 1.5T or 2.0T. Apparently @Chevyman4life knew about these issues so perhaps he can point to other examples I missed.

EDIT: upon further searching, I found 1 bulletin about leaks from the rear crank seal in the 1.5T and 1.4T but it is related to excessive pressure tied to a P0300 code. You'd have major symptoms with that. The only bulletin I found requiring inspection and possible replacement of a head gasket was in the 1.8L used in the Hybrid, which is not a turbocharged engine. There is also 1 forum report of head gasket failure in the 1.8L used in the Hybrid here (along with other confusing issues): Poor Communication & Blown Head Gasket on '17...

Regardless, significant oil leaking needs to be corrected wherever it comes from. If still under warranty I'd take it to the dealer ASAP. If warranty has expired you might consider a trusted local independent shop.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Could it be the valve cover leaking and not a head gasket? I thought head gasket leaks are coolant, NOT oil.

Valve cover leaks are common in other cars (Toyotas used to be notorious for it) and tend to be more of an annoyance than a major issue. I'd think if there were a head gasket leaking you'd have other bigger issues, like the white smoke/fog out of the tail pipe and dilution of the oil from the coolant.

And what is a "Hughes point"?

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
And what is a "Hughes point"?
A beautiful location just west of Jack Beach in St. Croix! Kidding aside I think "Hughes" Point is highest point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem verified. It is the head gasket. 90k miles, all highway. Haven’t even replaced the brakes yet and still on first set of tires. Probably should start thinking about buying a Toyota.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Toyotas aren't without their problems. Or Hondas. Just ask the owners with the big fuel/oil dilution issue with the latest generation of Civics and CRVs.

Were you seeing dilution of the oil also? I thought a head gasket would leak coolant before oil and have white smoke from the exhaust too.

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
Problem verified. It is the head gasket. 90k miles, all highway. Haven’️t even replaced the brakes yet and still on first set of tires. Probably should start thinking about buying a Toyota.
Thanks for the update. That's really unfortunate. How much do they want to fix that?

Good luck with whatever you do or whatever car you pursue - definitely can't blame you for a brand switch.

2 Posts

2016 Chevrolet Malibu Lt 1.5l
68000 miles head gasket failure same thing oil leaking from head gasket externally dealership is suppose to be doing overhaul as we speak.
very unsatisfied that at 58000 miles vehicle developed the oil leak and gm decided to push me away as just an oil pan gasket leak. They replaced oil pan gasket which is just rtv gasket maker and sent me on my way. Luckily I had a lifetime powertrain warranty through dealership as well as extended warranty through same dealership they’re taking care of me but it shouldn’t fail especially for the main factor that it hasn’t been dogged or redlined by some teenager either. Adult owned since brand new and half ran full syntheticDEXOS approved oil from the start and ran full synthetic filters as well just waiting for them to pull the cylinder head and it have a cracked piston as such others have had issues with. Just putting it out there that these Malibu’s are still having the head gasket and possible cracked piston issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
Glad to read they are fixing the gasket under the dealership warranty! It might be a blessing for them to find cracked pistons too if it is covered by a warranty. Let us know if they find cracked pistons in addition to the failed head gasket... I like to keep track of that.

Thinking this is the first head gasket failure report since Nickca1989 back in 2019, I searched gen9 using advanced search. This is indeed the 3rd head gasket failure report the forum has seen over gen9's 6 model years (2x 1.5T 1x 1.8L). Good reminder for me to go out and check for leaks on mine while still under service contract.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just noticed my 2016 Malibu 1.5L leaking oil the other day when I was changing the oil. Thankfully I only had 57,000 miles on it, so still covered under warranty. It was also a head gasket leaking according to the service technician. Looks like its time to trade it off.

2 Posts
2016 Chevrolet Malibu Lt 1.5l
68000 miles head gasket failure same thing oil leaking from head gasket externally dealership is suppose to be doing overhaul as we speak.
very unsatisfied that at 58000 miles vehicle developed the oil leak and gm decided to push me away as just an oil pan gasket leak. They replaced oil pan gasket which is just rtv gasket maker and sent me on my way. Luckily I had a lifetime powertrain warranty through dealership as well as extended warranty through same dealership they’re taking care of me but it shouldn’t fail especially for the main factor that it hasn’t been dogged or redlined by some teenager either. Adult owned since brand new and half ran full syntheticDEXOS approved oil from the start and ran full synthetic filters as well just waiting for them to pull the cylinder head and it have a cracked piston as such others have had issues with. Just putting it out there that these Malibu’s are still having the head gasket and possible cracked piston issues.
Glad to read they are fixing the gasket under the dealership warranty! It might be a blessing for them to find cracked pistons too if it is covered by a warranty. Let us know if they find cracked pistons in addition to the failed head gasket... I like to keep track of that.

Thinking this is the first head gasket failure report since Nickca1989 back in 2019, I searched gen9 using advanced search. This is indeed the 3rd head gasket failure report the forum has seen over gen9's 6 model years (2x 1.5T 1x 1.8L). Good reminder for me to go out and check for leaks on mine while still under service contract.
Update low spots on block side and definitely poor machining on cylinder head tolerance was 0.0025 actual was 0.0040. Dealership installed another engine and haven’t had any issues almost 5k miles so far. Perhaps the term good apples and bad apples may apply but only time will tell.
Side note. A colleague of mine had same issue and another dealership installed a new engine as well around same mileage as well.

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Malibu LS 1.5L Turbocharged, 6 cylinder
14 Posts
I purchased my 1.5L Chevy Malibu in July of 2016 with 54 miles on it. I absolutely love the look and feel of the car but unfortunately I haven’t been impressed. I’ve always taken care of the required maintenance on my vehicle and seemed to have issues.

At 15k miles the rear suspension knuckle was causing a popping sound when accelerating after a stop that took multiple times in the shop for them to figure out.

At 52k miles the transmission would slip upon accelerating. Took it into the dealership and they did a flush and reprogrammed the computer and it has been fine since.

At 54k miles I was driving down the freeway and the car went into limp mode and threw a check engine light. Was able to get to work that day and planned to take it after but had a close call when it went into limp mode after accelerating from a stop sign nearly causing an accident. The dealership diagnosed this as a bad pedal position sensor and they had no idea when it would be in stock since it was after the strike. They refused to put me in a loaner vehicle although it was a safety issue. Called a dealership in a small town and they were able to order it and install it within 3 days.

At 68k miles the headliner and trunk started leaking and had to take it to the dealership to get it repaired.

Two weeks ago at 78k I noticed a small oil leak on my garage floor. Took it into the dealership to find that it is a bad head gasket and upper oil pan gasket. They wanted 3700$ for the repair. After talking to the CEM they were able to get it down to 1100$. It’s currently in the shop being repaired and then after that I’m selling it and getting something else. Haven’t been too impressed with GM and most likely won’t ever own one ever again.

2016 was the first year that GM’s power train warranty went from 100k to 60k miles so repairs such as this head gasket would’ve been covered.

Also forgot to mention I had the infamous “shift to park” issue I had to get repaired.

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
@BlinkNLD The gasket and upper pan gasket aren't too common but might start to be as the cars age. My 2016 has been through some of the other stuff (leaking CHMSL, knuckle replacement, shift to park). Good luck with your trade and next vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts

My '16 LT had 2 oil leaks repaired within 2 month of each other, with 55K miles on the odometer.

First one last December was "Oil leak from camshaft cover gasket protrusion". For that one I noticed a slight burning smell inside the car and after having a look, saw that the oil pan was sweating oil but not dripping onto my driveway.

Second one was "Oil leak at back of cylinder head to block surface" . Same burning smell and this time oil was dripping onto my driveway.

Both were fixed under the powertrain warranty, so no cost to me. Gaskets replaced in both cases, and most of the time and cost is labor to access the respective covers and gaskets. The 2nd one was 2 weeks before the 5 year powertrain warranty expired! No leaks now...and I'm hoping it stays that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read maybe 90% of the posts here in gen9 and haven't read a single report of leaking from the head gasket for either the 1.5T or 2.0T. Apparently @Chevyman4life knew about these issues so perhaps he can point to other examples I missed.

EDIT: upon further searching, I found 1 bulletin about leaks from the rear crank seal in the 1.5T and 1.4T but it is related to excessive pressure tied to a P0300 code. You'd have major symptoms with that. The only bulletin I found requiring inspection and possible replacement of a head gasket was in the 1.8L used in the Hybrid, which is not a turbocharged engine. There is also 1 forum report of head gasket failure in the 1.8L used in the Hybrid here (along with other confusing issues): Poor Communication & Blown Head Gasket on '17...

Regardless, significant oil leaking needs to be corrected wherever it comes from. If still under warranty I'd take it to the dealer ASAP. If warranty has expired you might consider a trusted local independent shop.
My 16 malibu lt 1.5 has 42000 miles on it and leaking oil to the ground and have warranty and they tell me its my head gaskets about 2500$-3000$ job its at the chevy dealership now getting fixed!!This car is not even broke in and it seemed to be running fine just leaking oil!!I have had the 11,13 and now 16 and this is way to soon for this kind of problem i got it in 17 with 15000 miles!!

I purchased my 1.5L Chevy Malibu in July of 2016 with 54 miles on it. I absolutely love the look and feel of the car but unfortunately I haven’t been impressed. I’ve always taken care of the required maintenance on my vehicle and seemed to have issues.

At 15k miles the rear suspension knuckle was causing a popping sound when accelerating after a stop that took multiple times in the shop for them to figure out.

At 52k miles the transmission would slip upon accelerating. Took it into the dealership and they did a flush and reprogrammed the computer and it has been fine since.

At 54k miles I was driving down the freeway and the car went into limp mode and threw a check engine light. Was able to get to work that day and planned to take it after but had a close call when it went into limp mode after accelerating from a stop sign nearly causing an accident. The dealership diagnosed this as a bad pedal position sensor and they had no idea when it would be in stock since it was after the strike. They refused to put me in a loaner vehicle although it was a safety issue. Called a dealership in a small town and they were able to order it and install it within 3 days.

At 68k miles the headliner and trunk started leaking and had to take it to the dealership to get it repaired.

Two weeks ago at 78k I noticed a small oil leak on my garage floor. Took it into the dealership to find that it is a bad head gasket and upper oil pan gasket. They wanted 3700$ for the repair. After talking to the CEM they were able to get it down to 1100$. It’s currently in the shop being repaired and then after that I’m selling it and getting something else. Haven’t been too impressed with GM and most likely won’t ever own one ever again.

2016 was the first year that GM’s power train warranty went from 100k to 60k miles so repairs such as this head gasket would’ve been covered.

Also forgot to mention I had the infamous “shift to park” issue I had to get repaired.
So funny my 16 malibu has had all these same issues and with 42000 miles now its in getting head gasket repaired these cars must be pieces of!!

CMF edit: removed profanity

1 - 20 of 21 Posts