Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
@susiequeenawhorton

I am glad your head gasket is being fixed under warranty! There have a been a half dozen or so reports of head gasket failure since the OP posted about this back in 2019. Not everyone gets lucky enough for it to occur under warranty. Doubly lucky that warranty is intact on a preowned car.

Having read a bulletin about this, a couple tips you might relay to your dealer while they have it apart: it could just be a bad head gasket that randomly failed but it could also be from pre-ignition. Check piston rings carefully. Have them double-check the front and rear seal and the PCV orifice in the camshaft cover for clog. That might save a repeat head gasket failure or other problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had a 1.5 leak oil externally from the head gasket? It appears i have an oil leak coming from the head gasket but no other signs of a head gasket failure. Oil is on both sides of the engine (exhaust side and intake side) tracking down both sides. The Hughes point of the leak is below the head.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this.
Currently dealing with this but can't pinpoint an actual leak you end up having to replace your head gasket?

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 16 malibu lt 1.5 has 42000 miles on it and leaking oil to the ground and have warranty and they tell me its my head gaskets about 2500$-3000$ job its at the chevy dealership now getting fixed!!This car is not even broke in and it seemed to be running fine just leaking oil!!I have had the 11,13 and now 16 and this is way to soon for this kind of problem i got it in 17 with 15000 miles!!

So funny my 16 malibu has had all these same issues and with 42000 miles now its in getting head gasket repaired these cars must be pieces of!!

CMF edit: removed profanity
Again, wondering due to mixed recommendations of oil change intervals (5000 miles or 5 months or waiting to 10-20% OLM as per some Advisors) is this a factor? Should Chevy/GM recommend earlier changes?

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Again, wondering due to mixed recommendations of oil change intervals (5000 miles or 5 months or waiting to 10-20% OLM as per some Advisors) is this a factor? Should Chevy/GM recommend earlier changes?
My old '09 2.4 went 200k miles on full synth. oils done via the OLM when it was below 5%. Sold it running fine BTW.
Full synth. oils are the key to long life. A couple more bucks per change will still be less than an engine repair in the long run.
My old 'bu never even had the problematic VVT valve solenoids changed in that time either. Only thing touched on that motor was a EVAP purge valve, MAF sensor and spark plugs at 85k miles over the 200k miles put on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My old '09 2.4 went 200k miles on full synth. oils done via the OLM when it was below 5%. Sold it running fine BTW.
Full synth. oils are the key to long life. A couple more bucks per change will still be less than an engine repair in the long run.
My old 'bu never even had the problematic VVT valve solenoids changed in that time either. Only thing touched on that motor was a EVAP purge valve, MAF sensor and spark plugs at 85k miles over the 200k miles put on it.
I should’ve specified that I was referring to earlier oil changes for these delicate Gen 9 Turbo engines-not naturally aspirated engines

21 - 25 of 25 Posts