Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had a 1.5 leak oil externally from the head gasket? It appears i have an oil leak coming from the head gasket but no other signs of a head gasket failure. Oil is on both sides of the engine (exhaust side and intake side) tracking down both sides. The Hughes point of the leak is below the head.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this.
Currently dealing with this but can't pinpoint an actual leak you end up having to replace your head gasket?

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
159 Posts
My 16 malibu lt 1.5 has 42000 miles on it and leaking oil to the ground and have warranty and they tell me its my head gaskets about 2500$-3000$ job its at the chevy dealership now getting fixed!!This car is not even broke in and it seemed to be running fine just leaking oil!!I have had the 11,13 and now 16 and this is way to soon for this kind of problem i got it in 17 with 15000 miles!!

So funny my 16 malibu has had all these same issues and with 42000 miles now its in getting head gasket repaired these cars must be pieces of!!

CMF edit: removed profanity
Again, wondering due to mixed recommendations of oil change intervals (5000 miles or 5 months or waiting to 10-20% OLM as per some Advisors) is this a factor? Should Chevy/GM recommend earlier changes?

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Again, wondering due to mixed recommendations of oil change intervals (5000 miles or 5 months or waiting to 10-20% OLM as per some Advisors) is this a factor? Should Chevy/GM recommend earlier changes?
My old '09 2.4 went 200k miles on full synth. oils done via the OLM when it was below 5%. Sold it running fine BTW.
Full synth. oils are the key to long life. A couple more bucks per change will still be less than an engine repair in the long run.
My old 'bu never even had the problematic VVT valve solenoids changed in that time either. Only thing touched on that motor was a EVAP purge valve, MAF sensor and spark plugs at 85k miles over the 200k miles put on it.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
159 Posts
My old '09 2.4 went 200k miles on full synth. oils done via the OLM when it was below 5%. Sold it running fine BTW.
Full synth. oils are the key to long life. A couple more bucks per change will still be less than an engine repair in the long run.
My old 'bu never even had the problematic VVT valve solenoids changed in that time either. Only thing touched on that motor was a EVAP purge valve, MAF sensor and spark plugs at 85k miles over the 200k miles put on it.
I should’ve specified that I was referring to earlier oil changes for these delicate Gen 9 Turbo engines-not naturally aspirated engines

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had a 1.5 leak oil externally from the head gasket? It appears i have an oil leak coming from the head gasket but no other signs of a head gasket failure. Oil is on both sides of the engine (exhaust side and intake side) tracking down both sides. The Hughes point of the leak is below the head.

Mine is now warranty ran out 70,000 miles and a head casket is leaking oil wth

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,981 Posts
Mine is now warranty ran out 70,000 miles and a head casket is leaking oil wth
A head casket? Oh no! What kind of car/model/year/engine?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thursday, 3/24/2022 @ 7:46p CST
Please view the attached link. I just found it last week. I am experiencing the same issue. I was quoted $3600 from a repair shop. The dealership price was 😠. My car is 2016, 1.5, turbo. My oil leak apparently began at end of the year, because I started smelling smoke. I already had the turbo replaced in May of 2017, and then again, After warranty, on last year, April 2021...$1800. NO MORE CHEVY'S!!! Trina M.

Also, read the comments. We Are Definitely Not The Only Ones With This Car. IT SHOULD BE A RECALL!!!

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
159 Posts
Thursday, 3/24/2022 @ 7:46p CST
Please view the attached link. I just found it last week. I am experiencing the same issue. I was quoted $3600 from a repair shop. The dealership price was 😠. My car is 2016, 1.5, turbo. My oil leak apparently began at end of the year, because I started smelling smoke. I already had the turbo replaced in May of 2017, and then again, After warranty, on last year, April 2021...$1800. NO MORE CHEVY'S!!! Trina M.

Also, read the comments. We Are Definitely Not The Only Ones With This Car. IT SHOULD BE A RECALL!!!

May I inquire what brand oil and what % of OLM (or mileage) were oil changes performed? Asking cuz high calcium oil & infrequent changes could be factors

·
Registered
Chevrolet Malibu 2016 LT
20 Posts
'16 LT here, bought at 30k miles in May '19 and currently sitting at 118k miles. Back in December '21, discovered that the oil was leaking. Got the valve cover inner and outer gasket replaced and was on my way thinking that'll solve the issue. Got my engine bay and undercarriage steam washed to get rid of the gunk and oil residue. Turns out, it didn't solve the issue. Since I moved to London and frequently travel back and forth, didn't get the opportunity to take a look at the extent of it along with research. Upon further research, I've found posts on this community and user Trinaminnie2013's video on YouTube. I have also tried to take a video with the flash on, here's a screenshot to highlight the leak.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

I've recently got the steam wash done, and have taken it for inspection at three different independent shops. They are all pointing towards getting the head gasket replaced. I was advised to procure the Head Gasket Kit (ACDELCO 12709179) but it isn't available in the region (Middle East). Instead I'll have to now procure the bits, piece by piece. So far, I've put in a RFQ for Head Gasket, Head Gasket Bolt (x10), Intake Manifold Gasket, Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid Gasket (x2). Apart from the Valve Gaskets, I couldn't figure out the remaining two from the ACDELCO 12709179 picture. I've been quoted $400-$700 for the Labor. Would appreciate everyone's thoughts, since they will be opening up the head.. at current mileage what other pre-emptive maintenance would you suggest to be carried out?

Some history:
  1. 90% highway mileage
  2. Humid Climate (113-127* F)
  3. Oil changed every 6k miles (thrice let is go to 8.5k)
  4. Engine Oil of Choice: ACDELCO Full Synthetic 5W-30 DEXOS1
  5. Engine Oil Filter: ACDELCO PF64 (you don't find UPF64R here).

·
Registered
Chevrolet Malibu 2016 LT
20 Posts
Update for my fellow members, the independent shop that I've contracted to carry out the job opened up the engine today.

Automotive air manifold Camshaft Motor vehicle Gas Machine

Motor vehicle Aircraft Vehicle Engineering Airplane

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Engineering Auto part

Automotive wheel system Service Engineering Circle Auto part

I went to a couple of parts store including the local dealer responsible for Chevrolet in this region, they don't keep stock of the Headgasket Kit. The dealer took the order to have one shipped within five days, they ordered GM 12687228. I couldn't understand why they didn't find ACDELCO 12709179. Since they pulled the engine apart, I ordered a few more parts such as 12661527 [Crankshaft Front Oil Seal] and 12658091 [Accessory Belt].

Now apart from the parts mentioned, I went back to order a few more gasket and seals. I also noticed my passenger-side engine mounting was bad, this corresponds with 84034329.

All the parts are expected to reach here next Tuesday. I shall post the next update accordingly.
Edit: Today is 26th April Tuesday, parts aren't here yet. I'm told to expect it by Thursday afternoon. Dang!

·
Registered
Chevrolet Malibu 2016 LT
20 Posts
Hello all, I can confirm that I've received the parts today. It's been an anxious wait this week. I was expecting to having received it yesterday but they informed me I'd only be getting it tomorrow. Quite surprised when the phone rung informing me the parts are here today! Well.. better late than never but never late is better.

This is the entire consignment, the list of parts that I've ordered will be mentioned in the end. There appears to be a limit of pictures I can post under a single post, I'll be posting it on the third post. *

Gas Font Machine Audio equipment Electrical wiring

Sculpture Art Font Wood Personal protective equipment
Automotive tire Wood Auto part Automotive wheel system Nut

Material property Font Wood Rectangle Art

·
Registered
Chevrolet Malibu 2016 LT
20 Posts
Continued

Font Number Circle Monochrome Document

Font Gas Electric blue Auto part Number

21 - 32 of 32 Posts