Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently bought a malibu and i’ve already done plenty of mods to it but i’m new to the car scene u could say and only 16. So with that being said is it possible to put a second turbo into the engine or could i replace the factory one with a bigger one?

·
Registered
179 Posts
You may get more responses with more info on you vehicle and mods. Also there are tons of post already written I would say start there. This is a great place to get good advice but you gotta help yourself before others will help you......I cant even really get into some of the questions in your post without wasting breath. Which is probably why there are 37 views on this post with no replies I would avoid posts with titles like this they are very vague.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
so i recently bought a malibu and i’ve already done plenty of mods to it but i’m new to the car scene u could say and only 16. So with that being said is it possible to put a second turbo into the engine or could i replace the factory one with a bigger one?
NO and NO.
Here's some advise from someone who's blown up a lot of stuff over the years with modifications and beating on them.
Is this your only car, your main wheels? Leave it stock so you have a ride, modifications are for second cars which are toy cars to mess around with. Every thing you see or read is not done on the car that gets them to the one they are playing with.
You will need to be super maintenance crazy just to keep your stock motor running as they are maxed out from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,196 Posts
@Tyler34 bud, you didn't even tell us what model year or engine you own.

Reactions: Mynewbu87

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,196 Posts
You may get more responses with more info on you vehicle and mods. Also there are tons of post already written I would say start there. This is a great place to get good advice but you gotta help yourself before others will help you......I cant even really get into some of the questions in your post without wasting breath. Which is probably why there are 37 views on this post with no replies I would avoid posts with titles like this they are very vague.
Fixed the title, still waiting on the car details though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NO and NO.
Here's some advise from someone who's blown up a lot of stuff over the years with modifications and beating on them.
Is this your only car, your main wheels? Leave it stock so you have a ride, modifications are for second cars which are toy cars to mess around with. Every thing you see or read is not done on the car that gets them to the one they are playing with.
You will need to be super maintenance crazy just to keep your stock motor running as they are maxed out from the factory.
It’s not my only car. This car was passed down to me and is my second car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,878 Posts
My bad thought i put it in there. It’s an LS sorry if it’s a dumb question and this is a bad model to mod but this car was passed down to me and idk as much abt american cars.
Which year of gen9? Knowing year I can probably tell you the realities you are up against when it comes to mods. LS of any gen9 year means the 1.5T. You can do a little to the 2016-2017 and absolutely nothing meaningful to 2018+.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which year of gen9? Knowing year I can probably tell you the realities you are up against when it comes to mods. LS of any gen9 year means the 1.5T. You can do a little to the 2016-2017 and absolutely nothing meaningful to 2018+.
I have a 2017. l wasn’t expecting to do anything crazy i just wanted to give it more power than it has rn.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,878 Posts
I have a 2017. l wasn’t expecting to do anything crazy i just wanted to give it more power than it has rn.
I don't normally recommend much for the 1.5T, but being a 2nd car with some interest you can look at a tune. Several companies offer tunes for the 2016-2017 1.5T. One well known and a vendor/sponsor of this site is Trifecta. Among the ability to disable Auto Stop if you don't like that it gets you to about 200 hp / 200 torque at peak among some other features. You can read specifics, testimonials, risks, terms etc here: 2016--2017 Chevrolet Malibu - 1.5L Turbo - Advantage 2016--2017 Chevrolet Malibu - 1.5L Turbo - Elite

If you go that route let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't normally recommend much for the 1.5T, but being a 2nd car with some interest you can look at a tune. Several companies offer tunes for the 1.5. One well known and a sponsor of this site is Trifecta. Among the ability to disable Auto Stop if you don't like that it gets you to about 200 hp / 200 torque at peak. You can read about it include the testimonials, risks, terms etc here: 2016--2017 Chevrolet Malibu - 1.5L Turbo - Advantage

If you go that route let us know how it goes!
Thanks i’m definitely gonna look into that soon. If u don’t mind me asking what about an exhaust or maybe an air intake?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,878 Posts
You will not get meaningful performance benefits from intake or exhaust mods. The intake is already optimized as well as it can be for performance in the 1.5T. Likely just noises and fault codes with those changes.

The "advantage tune" I linked is actually meant for stock vehicles. If you want to add intake and exhaust mods and want to see if specific tuning can be done to benefit, the "elite" tune can be looked into. If going the tune route I'd stick to the advantage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will not get meaningful performance benefits from intake or exhaust mods. The intake is already optimized as well as it can be for performance in the 1.5T. Likely just noises and fault codes with those changes.

The "advantage tune" I linked is actually meant for stock vehicles. If you want to add intake and exhaust mods and want to see if specific tuning can be done to benefit, the "elite" tune can be looked into. If going the tune route I'd stick to the advantage.
Alright thanks. I’ll have to look into both.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,196 Posts
Intake and exhaust are a waste of money on the 1.5T. The thing you need to understand is even if you were able to find the parts to make serious power gains (like a turbo swap, downpipe, etc), your transmission is the light duty 6-speed auto and it will eat itself if you get carried away.

If you want your 4-cylinder to fart louder, by all means just get a $100 muffler job, but intake modifications are more trouble than they're worth. The factory cold air intake is already better than the 1.5T needs.

You're new to the car community so there's a lot to learn about, starting with what makes sense for the car. The trifecta performance tune will take the power levels as far as you should try to go.

Reactions: Mynewbu87
1 - 15 of 15 Posts