Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey has anyone had any problems with the power steering on the 08 ls model? i did. at first the car was making a whirring sound. then it started to lock up on me while i was driving. and sometimes the steering wheel would just start to move from left to right all by itself. I took it to the dealer and they told me they couldnt duplicate the problem so they gave it back to me. I wasnt satisfied but i let it slide. but then the problem got worse as i would notice the issue more and more because it would lock up more often. so i took it again and they said GM posted a service bulletin and suggested to recalibrate the power steering sensor. IT DIDNT DO ANYTHING. the car kept doing the same thing it was doing before and now, on the information center the power steering sign came on. And to make things worse now it would make a grinding noise when i made turns. so i took it back, called GM, and complained. The people at the dealer ordered a new power steering motor and replaced the old one. they also did some other electrical work on it while they had it.In the end, the issue was solved. It was the power steering motor that was defective.

so if anyone has this problem, its probably because of a defective p.s. motor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
shame to see it happen in the new body style malibu. in the older body style malibu we used to have problems with the column assembly itself. we replaced these regulalry for the same issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
While the electric steering makes for effortless driving especially inthe city, to me it has very little road feel especially in Winter driving on roads that are not clear.

I had this same steering on an Equinox and it tended to wonder within the driving lane during highway driving rather than keep a staight path. Add some snow and you really can tell if you are in low traction or if the steering is just too light.

The V6 models get the hydralic steering which has more road feel feedback through the wheel.

I think GM cut corners by using this electric steering. Like I said it's not reassuring on snowy roads or in windy weather conditions.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It wasn't cutting corners, it allows the cars to be more fuel efficient. But the tuning for the EPS has always seemed to be an issue for GM, which is why all of the V6 cars went back to regular hydraulic steering somewhere during the last body style car's run. Our 04 V6 had the electric assist, and as a result, got even better fuel economy than later V6 cars, but we also had the exact same issues mentioned in this thread, resulting in a column replacement.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It wasn't cutting corners, it allows the cars to be more fuel efficient. But the tuning for the EPS has always seemed to be an issue for GM, which is why all of the V6 cars went back to regular hydraulic steering somewhere during the last body style car's run. Our 04 V6 had the electric assist, and as a result, got even better fuel economy than later V6 cars, but we also had the exact same issues mentioned in this thread, resulting in a column replacement.
By cutting corners, I meant it used an inferior product that reduced the driving experience. Didnt mean that they saved money but that could be the case too since it has come back to bite them in warranty costs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey has anyone had any problems with the power steering on the 08 ls model? i did. at first the car was making a

so if anyone has this problem, its probably because of a defective p.s. motor.
I wish this forum would link posts so that it is not necessay to do entire quotes.
Thanks for your post. There is one aspect you mention that mine seems to mimic. To start, it just feels loose like worn parts.
But sometimes, at slow speeds it feels like the rack and pinion gears are binding when the teeth become fully meshed. It results in a bump-bump sensation when the steering is slowly turned. Turning slowly it will suddenly jump to like maybe to the next cog suddenly and with a bit more force jump to the next and so on.
Is there somewhere that explains this power steering system in detail?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.