Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unhappy with the Bose system in my hybrid, I decided to install a powered sub under the driver seat.
Some things are easier in the hybrid because the 12V battery is in the trunk, but so is the traction battery, and you need to work around that.

I connected to the low level inputs of the factory amp, which are all that's on the green plug of the Bose system.
This works good for the audio, but the ANC is still a problem.

What's sort of perplexing is that the sub freaks out the ANC system only the first time the engine starts, and not at all thereafter.
In other words, when I first start to drive the car, and it's in EV mode, everything is fine, but the first time the engine starts, the ANC system freaks out. This is definitely a "make it stop" scenario. After it does this once, and I stop it, either by turning the head unit on and off, or by opening the door, it won't do it again for the rest of the drive, no matter how many times the engine cycles, which is continually on the hybrid.

I am thinking at this point that the electronics in the car turn off the ANC system once it senses a problem. If this is the case, I don't notice the car any louder, so I think it would be fine with the ANC disabled.

Based on info I got from other threads, I am going to pull all the pins except #1 from the top connector on the amp to disable the ANC system.

For those that have disabled the ANC on their cars, do you notice the car being much louder in terms of road noise, etc?
I'm thinking the system doesn't make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out the ANC microphones and various chime inputs and outputs are on the black plug (second from top).
In theory, disconnecting either the positive or negative side of the mics would disable them, but I disconnected both sides of all three mics.
This leaves 2 wires active on the black plug. These are for the various warnings, chimes, and tones that use the audio system.

For those interested, the mic wires are
Positive Negative
GN/BN GN/BK
BU/YE BU/BK
GY/BU GY/BN

There is a very minimal increase in road noise with the ANC disconnected, but hardly noticeable. The system really doesn't do much. I won't miss it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for this info. I'm adding a small sub this weekend and I'm going to disconnect the ANC mics just for good measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts