Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the extra $550 for the Premium Audio System worth it. My dealer only has the standard system and it sounds very good. Anyone compare the two? Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I haven't heard the base system, but I love the Premium setup in my LTZ. It's got 8 speakers w/2 subwoofers, a 210 watt amplifier, and includes a six CD MP3 changer. The basic audio system is a single disc unit, but also plays MP3's. If you like the sound and don't care that it's a one-CD-at-a-time unit, save the money. I personally like being able to create custom MP3 CDs from my collection at home, then load up six discs worth of them (uh, LOTS) and not have to fool with it anymore. The changer can do random play across multiple MP3 CDs (and WMA!) as well as normal CDs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I haven't heard the base system, but I love the Premium setup in my LTZ. It's got 8 speakers w/2 subwoofers, a 210 watt amplifier, and includes a six CD MP3 changer. The basic audio system is a single disc unit, but also plays MP3's. If you like the sound and don't care that it's a one-CD-at-a-time unit, save the money. I personally like being able to create custom MP3 CDs from my collection at home, then load up six discs worth of them (uh, LOTS) and not have to fool with it anymore. The changer can do random play across multiple MP3 CDs (and WMA!) as well as normal CDs.
I would go with the premium sound system because music is very important to me (musician). And I was not real happy with the base system in my Grand Prix. I don't know if I will use the 6-CD player much, because I have a MP3 player that I mix my CDs on to, and will be able to just plug into the system. I also want XM, as I have a XM external receiver in my car now. I look forward to being able to control XM from the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm a bad one to ask about the premium audio. Sounds good to me, but my ears are not as good as they used to be. We have the 6 disc player loaded with MP3s, but we both listen to XM most of the time. The radio stations are poor in this area and it's great having all this music available to us now.
First time for XM for us. I was glad to learn I could listen to XM on my computer at no extra cost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...in the end I ordered the Premium audio. I have a hunch it will play louder than the standard system. There are certain songs I love to play loud :D. If nothing else my soon to be driving son really thought it cool to have a 210 watt system with 8 speakers including two sub-woofers.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Would anyone happen to know where the amp is located?
I'm trading in a Ford Fusion, it had the upgraded Audiophile system with 6 speakers and 2 "subwoofers" on the rear deck. I added an amp and a Rockford Fosgate 10" subwoofer, and it was awesome.

I took the amp and sub out and would like to put it in the Malibu, as the "2 subwoofers" are nothing but 2 6x9's (not sure of the size) on the rear deck.

I looked at the setup, and it seems that GM covered the access to the rear shelf speakers from the trunk. That is where I piggy-backed from in my Fusion to get the sound to my sub. I don't know how to remove that covering without tearing it up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Would anyone happen to know where the amp is located?
I'm trading in a Ford Fusion, it had the upgraded Audiophile system with 6 speakers and 2 "subwoofers" on the rear deck. I added an amp and a Rockford Fosgate 10" subwoofer, and it was awesome.

I took the amp and sub out and would like to put it in the Malibu, as the "2 subwoofers" are nothing but 2 6x9's (not sure of the size) on the rear deck.

I looked at the setup, and it seems that GM covered the access to the rear shelf speakers from the trunk. That is where I piggy-backed from in my Fusion to get the sound to my sub. I don't know how to remove that covering without tearing it up.
I'm sure you know this, but Just make sure the power input can be handled by those components. Also, what does that do to the warranty of the sound system?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm sure you know this, but Just make sure the power input can be handled by those components. Also, what does that do to the warranty of the sound system?
Well, I didn't have any problems out of my Fusion, and it went in for several warranty repairs. I used a mono subwoofer amp that was connected to the battery terminal for power. It hit pretty hard and there were no fluctuations. Now, in my 07 Jetta, every time it hits when the headlights are on, they dim....kinda like my own little strobe-light show (even though it's not good for the car).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Update--
Now, I haven't heard the base system, but I am not blown away by the Premium system in my 'Bu. It's very clear, just not enough punch to it. That may be good though, because with more punch comes more rattles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Update--
Now, I haven't heard the base system, but I am not blown away by the Premium system in my 'Bu. It's very clear, just not enough punch to it. That may be good though, because with more punch comes more rattles.
I tested it out at the dealer and I didn't think it was that spectacular.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have the Premium Audio in my LTZ and am not that impressed with the sound. The bass lacks impact, especially for having 2 subwoofers even if they are only 6x9's. Luckily,I have a 10" JL sub from my previous vehicle that I will be installing to improve the sound system. You might think about not buying the premium system and take the money to go out and buy some better aftermarket speakers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.