Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to prevent headlight plastic clouding and fading of exterior black bits?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So many views, and not one?.....I saw an episode of 'Dream Car Garage' on SpeedTV a few years back, where they showed some treatment for the headlights to keep them from going yellow and cloudy.....Now...Can't find any info.:confused:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
For the lenses just keep them waxed and they'll stay new looking as for the black trim Mothers and Meguiars make a trim treatment that works real well :D

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
For the lenses just keep them waxed and they'll stay new looking as for the black trim Mothers and Meguiars make a trim treatment that works real well :D
Yes. The same polish & seal/wax you do to your paint, should always be done simultaneously on the lights. Preferably, the most hearty sealant/wax you have, post the cleaner polish every once in a while on them, for the best protection.

There are some cases where the lense plastic is less than stellar and yellows/hazes regardless of care, but that hasn't seemed to be the case on any GM vehicles from the past few years when they're at least decently cared for.

You don't need any treatment beyond this, such as the drill attachments and harsh polishes, unless it's too late and you're already into the yellow fogged stage. Polish & seal, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
durahine works really well on plastic and headlights and rubber. it is clear and you just let it stand for about 30mins then wash it off. unlike waxes that dissipate in temperatures above 90degree . temp has no affect on it and it is the only product that guarantees that bird droppings will not hurt the paint if it is applied. so after clay baring i use it. you cannot stand with an umbrella over your car as birds fly over and zero in on your car. and i have that kind of luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a Flitz kit from MATCO it came with a buffer that goes into any cordless drill. I have polished anything from my old iPod to the lightbar lenses on my squad. I polished up the headlight on my wifes other malibu and it restored the headlights to brand new condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.