Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got my windows tinted yesterday and i was the happiest guy in the world until i noticed sumthing wierd... my dad accidently rolled down the window today and i noticed that about an inch off the top of the glass has no tint. i looked around outside my car and noticed that all my windows have sum gap of tint and then just my regular windows. i didnt dare wind down the windows to check even further but i KNOW there is about an inch gap. is this normal? i hope i didnt get taken for my money or else tomorrow im heading right down back to that shop....

·
Registered
293 Posts
An inch seems a little excessive...I'd say about a quarter of an inch at the most would be all allowed. They can't get a perfect-fit by hand (no machines can do it either so...) so they have to make it slightly smaller, to ensure it'll fit.

If it's any more, bring it up to them. I got screwed when I took an under-the-table tint job (sales tax around here is 10%) and started finding bubbles all over the edges and how poorly they were cleaned.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ill try to get sum piks up tomorrow, but upon further investigation i noticed that there is also a wierd curve. if you look into your mali from the outside you see a curve kind of on the window. it looks like the rubber tubing thats inside. well they curved the tint under the tubing so you can definitely tell that it doesnt go up. other then that i think its fine but that wierd gap and curve got me a little worried

btw i found out the tubing is called the weather gasket

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah an inch sounds like a lot. Mine has about 1/4 of an inch. It's unavoidable on pretty much any car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i took it to my cousin who has alot of experience tinting and he told me its a terrible job =/ i believe him because my dad even said that he could of did a way better job. i think it looks terrible also. im taking it back to the place i got it tinted because i want my money back and that crap OFF MY CAR!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mashemellow - Good Luck, I hope the shop realizes how shotty of a job they did and really step up to the plate for you and either make things right or give you your money back.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, i just called up the shop and they said to bring it back in on saturday and try to fix everything and this time im gonna be in the garage lookin at the tint job cause im not gonna get screwed over agen

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so today was the day i took my car back to get my tint fixed... LITTLE DID I KNOW I WOOD BE SCREWED YET AGEN. the guy who once told me to come get it fixed back on monday now says that their is absolutely nothing he can do about my problem. he claims that my car has such a wierd curved window that its impossible to fix the tint problem so im out of luck.... wow... just wow...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have no gap of tint, any measure of the window being down or up, you can always tell they are tinted.

It's probably the place you got them installed at.

Fortunutely for me, the place I've gotten my last 2 cars (this one included) tinted the guy is EXTREMELY good at doing it.

pics?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finally here are sum pics, im sitting in my drivers seat looking out of my rolled down window and in the other pic my window is rolled all the way up so you can see the wierd cut of the curve i was talking about

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'd tell him to replace the tint, then, and if he did not threaten to get the law involved in a civil suit.

Does he have any quality guarantee? That was the first thing I looked for for when I got my tint job done. Unfortunately, I agreed to the "under the table" deal of not having to pay taxes (which are around 25%...24.87something to be exact). A few days after the job, I began noticing bubbles and how the tint was poor cut; as if he used a box cutter. I could have done a better job. The windows were not even cleaned, you can make out two finger prints and a hair.

But no worries...I've spread enough word around a local forum about his shotty work and he won't be getting too much more positive PR :D

With all seriousness, tell him to fix it if he has a guarantee. If he does not, ask him to take it off. If he still does not, then threaten the law. It's all you can do to get your way in American society...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, take that back and make them redo it.. Im hopefully getting mine done in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
these guys refuse to redo it when i tokk it back on saturday because they claim the spacing is too tight and if they put it on the tint will roll down, im pissed, i dont wanna take it off cuz ill lose 200 bucks unless if they fix it for free and i have the feeling these guys wont wanna give me my money back =/ they claim that the malibu has such an odd shape that its impossible to tint it correctly. and im gonna call in agen to ask about their quality guarentee because this is not cool at all

·
Registered
569 Posts
Find a couple other tint shops in the area and let them look at it and see what they say.. I plan on getting mine tinted soon so I will ask before I do. I would also contact the BBB in your state if they are not willing to work with you.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Those of us that have tint should post up pics for him to use and take in so they can see that if CAN be done properly....I will try to take some pics tonight of mine so you can see that it can be done with no problems.

Hope maybe this will help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
these guys refuse to redo it when i tokk it back on saturday because they claim the spacing is too tight and if they put it on the tint will roll down, im pissed, i dont wanna take it off cuz ill lose 200 bucks unless if they fix it for free and i have the feeling these guys wont wanna give me my money back =/ they claim that the malibu has such an odd shape that its impossible to tint it correctly. and im gonna call in agen to ask about their quality guarentee because this is not cool at all
LMAOOOOOO

they lyin to you

the guy who tinted mine (who is a friend of my friend, that's how I got in contact with him about doing mine) said it was one of the easier cars to do

and there was no issue with tinting the 'bu LMAO @ them lyin

·
Registered
293 Posts
They're lying through their teeth. Tell them you want it fixed or you want them to remove it. Do not pay them anything, and request your money back if they remove it. If they don't give you your money back, threaten to go to the BBB (which, actually get a hold of BBB right now...they're a good force to have on your side).

EDIT:

For the record, I will take some quick pictures of my tint job (of the back windows, since they're 20% and easier to tell the difference between glass and tint). I got them done at Keltint Crossville, in Tennessee (if you need to cite references :D). Tell them it is a tint shop is the backwoods of Tennessee, and they did a better job than what your tint place did to you. Also, call them out, you can even say "Bullshit" if you'd like. I would. The windows are no different than a Civic or Altima (cars I've seen aftermarket tinted everywhere).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.