Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 98 malibu and when i start it the car will rev up to 1500 rpms and then shut off unless i pump the gas. the car will always start the secend time but barly is this the fuel pump? then how do u get the supenten belt off

·
Registered
25 Posts
First, can you tell me which engine you have? This is assuming you have the 3.1L V6...

ok i have a 98 malibu and when i start it the car will rev up to 1500 rpms and then shut off unless i pump the gas. the car will always start the secend time but barly is this the fuel pump?
Sounds like the fuel pump. While it is running does it run erratically any?

IIRC, the fuel pump is in the tank. Have you run out of gas recently? That will kill that fuel pump. I did it to my 96 Lumina.

then how do u get the supenten belt off
Why do you need to get the serpintine belt off?

If you must get the serpintine belt off, you need a large open-ended wrench to pull up on the tensioner. They inverted the pully on that car for some stupid reason.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My 04 Grand Prix has developed an issue recently where it is occassionally difficult to start. I need to actually press down on the accelerator to get it to start, like in the old days before fuel injection. I was thinking of trying a can of injection cleaner in the next tank of gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 04 Grand Prix has developed an issue recently where it is occassionally difficult to start. I need to actually press down on the accelerator to get it to start, like in the old days before fuel injection. I was thinking of trying a can of injection cleaner in the next tank of gas.
Use a rag and some throttle spray on your throttle booboo. May just be some carbon deposits on there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
BKCamaro. I had this problem once it turned out to be my plugs. Check to see what plugs you have in your car? If there BOSCH plugs change them right away, those plugs are know to cause major problems in the 3.1 V6 engines. I use AC-Delco plugs now. There pricey but there good. Another brand is NKG plugs

Also to see if you fuel pump is working sit in your car with the door open. Turn the key to the ON postion on the ignition, don't start it. Listen for a hum/whin noise coming from the gas tank. If you here it, your pump is working at time at least.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What specifically are you referring to as the "throttle"?
Take loose the ring on the hose leading from the air box (circled in red) and then follow the black hose out of it towards the engine. Where it meets the engine there should be a ring around the hose with a screw. Loosen the screw and pull the hose away from the engine. What you see on the engine is the throttle body. (Shown in picture to right) You can push the butterfly valve open where I circled yellow. Take a little throttle spray and a rag and clean the deposits off the inside and the valve.

This isn't a sure fix, but a possibility and always a good spring cleaning procedure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know much but there would be a few things I would take a look at. The O2 sensors are a heated O2 that assist in starting the car on high idle and then switch to low idle. I would check these to see if they are carboned up or not. I would also check the Throttle Position Sensor to see if it is working properly. This is the sensor that sends a proper signal to the computer to allow the correct amount of fuel pulse for the injectors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Some older engines (no idea what gm used in 98) had idle control injectors in the throttle body. We had a plymouth 3.0l that had the idle injector gumming up every few years. The engine would begin stalling unless you keep fluttering the peddle. Just as ChevEE suggests hitting the right spot in the throttle body with cleaner would always solve the problem. The first time this cost me $100 to watch the mechanic squirt a few shots of spray at it, (actually he first connected the roll away computer system to the car and that accounted for most of the bill.)

DrD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
some guy said that my head gasket or my intake gasket is junk could that be the problem y its haveing problems starting then how hard would it to replace eather one and the car is a 3.1L

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the fuel pump. While it is running does it run erratically any?

only when it first starts

IIRC, the fuel pump is in the tank. Have you run out of gas recently? That will kill that fuel pump. I did it to my 96 Lumina.

no i keep gas in the car i have to go 80 miles round trip to work and back so i dont want to run out of gas

Why do you need to get the serpintine belt off?

If you must get the serpintine belt off, you need a large open-ended wrench to pull up on the tensioner. They inverted the pully on that car for some stupid reason.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
25 Posts
some guy said that my head gasket or my intake gasket is junk could that be the problem y its haveing problems starting then how hard would it to replace eather one and the car is a 3.1L
I've replaced the lower intake manifold gasket on 3.1's before and it's not too hard. But it really doesn't sound like that to me at all. If it is the intake gasket, check your dipstick. It will be letting coolant into the crankcase and you will find what I can only describe as what looks like thick Yoo-Hoo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cuz the car is losing coolant but not leaking

·
Registered
148 Posts
cuz the car is losing coolant but not leaking
You have a bad gasket. This is from the Dexcool Coolant. Dexcool is known to eat away the gaskets that GM used on the 3.1 and 3.4 engines. What is happening is the coolant is mixing with the oil making a caramel colored goop. Get it fixed soon you will have worse problems on you hands.

And with the starting I was talking about the Spark Plugs will heres a picture of my BOSCH plug that came out of my car. The plug snapped in while in the car. I hope its not to big.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i checked my oil it fine no carmle color or dunznt smell sweet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.