Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question is it safe to run my tire pressure 3 -4 PSI higher than what is on the door placard? I have heard follow the owners manual? I'm trying to get the best MPG from my hybrid. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
749 Posts
From what I've heard, optimum tyre pressure should be 32 PSI for the front two, 30 PSI for the rear two.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Duh forgot to answer your primary question.. over-inflating your tyres could result in damage to those tyres and a rougher ride.. especially when going over bumps or tight turns.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Duh forgot to answer your primary question.. over-inflating your tyres could result in damage to those tyres and a rougher ride.. especially when going over bumps or tight turns.
Use the tag inside the drivers door. Remember that pressure is when the tires are COLD. Once warmed up and running they will increase 2-4 psi depending on your weather.

Purposely over inflating your tires caused more wear and is unsafe. What ever you gain in mileage will be lost by having to replace your tires sooner.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
yeah, overinflation is a thing a lot of people to to gain mpg....however the problem with is that you won't feel a difference with a slight overinflation. I tried doing 2-3 psi over, no difference whatsoever. So you have to go beyond that and that's where you're affecting the tire longevity and ride quality...I decided no to do it, too little gain for too much trouble.
Besides with me choosing power over mileage by choosing a V6 saving few drops of gas by compromizing ride quality seemed just silly :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried bumping the cold inflation pressure from 30 to 32 psi. I figured that that little of a change wouldn't adversely affect the ride. I was wrong. I didn't enjoy the car as much and have gone back to 30 psi cold. I didn't see any major mpg change which would justify the ride change either.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
A lot of Aura owner's, at least online, have been running 34-36psi pretty regularly and recommend it. Yes, it does make it stiffer, but the tire max pressure is well above that and it helps with stability and economy, and is not overinflated.

I had 31 in my 18" GY's on my G6 for a long time and it was fine but I wanted to make it more stable and get rid of the flat tire look when parked and bumped them to 34psi cold. Definitely feel it, but I like the added starch in the ride, mostly.

Anywhere from 30-35 is A-ok, fine tuneable to whatever you like ride & handling wise.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A lot of Aura owner's, at least online, have been running 34-36psi pretty regularly and recommend it. Yes, it does make it stiffer, but the tire max pressure is well above that and it helps with stability and economy, and is not overinflated.

I had 31 in my 18" GY's on my G6 for a long time and it was fine but I wanted to make it more stable and get rid of the flat tire look when parked and bumped them to 34psi cold. Definitely feel it, but I like the added starch in the ride, mostly.

Anywhere from 30-35 is A-ok, fine tuneable to whatever you like ride & handling wise.
Same here. Keep an eye on tire wear patterns and you can adjust accordingly. So far at ~34psi mine seem to be wearing evenly across the tread, but if I notice excessive center treadwear I'll air down a bit. I'd add air if I notice too much edge treadwear (unless you do a lot of hard cornering / switchback mountain driving- that'll eat the edges too).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.