Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of a 2005 Malibu LS V6. It has 88k, power driver seat and doors and windows. It has spoiler, moon roof, AM/FM/XM & CD and remote start. Plus new tires and new windshield and new rear disc brakes.
Seller is asking $8500 - KBB is $6410 - $7810 and NADA is $6650 - $9525. I am thinking of offering $8000.
My question/concern is this: I put about 20 - 25k on a car in a year. How well can I expect a Malibu to hold up? How many miles can I reasonably expect this car to go?
I am looking for any information and quick because I go to look at the car on Tuesday.
Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seems like pretty high mileage for wanting top dollar... If you aren't 'racing' it you should get good life out of it. There will be some expenses just like any other used car. Earlier V6s were notorious for blowing intake gaskets, this one should be fine. Good luck, I'd offer 7 and barter a bit, pretend to dislike the color or.....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not liking the color actually can give you an edge, especially if it is a buy-here-pay-here joint and not an actual dealer. Nit-pick and offer the 7k, and let him work you up. You might get away with 7.5k if you're lucky :D
Pointers:
Say you would prefer a white since it shows less color (if it is not white...if it is a dark color or yellow, pick at how hard it is to clean). It'll discourage him and allow him to be pushed down a bit.
Nit pick every little scratch and detail (if it is more than just clear coat smear...bare metal and obvious touch-up paint marks are worthy mentions :D)
If there are hub caps and not rims, complain about how he's asking to dollar for stock hub caps, and how he should include a pair of alloy rims.

Just come up with a few things. Smoker's pains (yellow tar stains, burns, smell) also are good points to argue. Looking around the B Pillar (support beside front driver and passenger) and the ceiling will tell you quick if it was smoked it regularly. If so, that's 800-1,200 off the price easy.

Otherwise, the Malibu has been a good vehicle, used very often in fleets (which drive A LOT). I personally bought my 2008 Malibu due to their reputation of being long-term vehicles, as I put about 14k miles a year on it regularly. Only had it since May and I already have 10,300!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided against that particular Malibu b/c of high mileage.
I am going to two different dealerships today and pit them against one another. each lot has a 2005 Malibu LT - V6, leather, sunroof, spoiler, power everything - loaded.
One has 62k and is priced $11,208. The other has 54k and is priced $11,500. Of course my preference is the lower mileage vehicle but I am going to use this to work to my advantage. Any other tips?

Thanks! I can't wait to be a Malibu owner!

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you prefer the one with the 60k, just throw out the info on the 56k one and tell them how just "for a few hundred more I get six thousand less miles!" That may make them drop their price down another 1,000 if you're strong in your stance.

It's all about degrading their product by putting a nicer, but very similar, product alongside it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got my Malibu today! Thanks to those who responded with advice. 2005 Malibu LT 53k, white w/tan leather interior, sunroof, spoiler, power everything and MAN I love that V6! I got it for $10,900 - a little more than I wanted to pay but still a good price. The car is in GOOD shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.