Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was unable to find anything when I searched. I have an 05 LS sedan. I use it to haul my tools (about 200-250#). With it loaded, there is a considerable drop in the rear. I added some rubber spring helpers, which temporarily raised it back up, but within a week they had settled and it was sagging again. I considered buying the Airlift 1000 kit for it but I feel the airbags would get damaged on some of the roads I travel on. The Maxx springs show to be slightly thicker, with a higher load rating. I have access to a Maxx at my local u-pull. My question then, is it worth it?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,852 Posts
I owned a ½-ton truck about 20 years ago. When I started using it to carry my tools and a lot of other stuff, that is when I invested in air springs. They had a saddle that bolted to the axle tube, with a special plate on top that attached to the frame. I ran individual air lines to Schrader valves, one on each side of my license plate. No matter what I was carrying, so long as the truck looked like it was riding level, it drove and rode like it was supposed to. When I emptied the bed of everything, I also aired them down and it still drove and rode the same, except for the obvious differences in acceleration and braking.

Although it might be a cheaper and/or easier solution, I would think that springs capable of handling an additional 200-250 lbs. over what you currently have will not yield the same benefit of adjustability. The other concern would be how long before those, too, start to sag, and you're back in the same boat?

If you're gonna be able to keep the car long-term, it might be money better spent to go with air springs. If it's short-term, then Maxx springs might be better.

It's a cost/benefit decision that only you can make. Hopefully my input along with that from others will be the help you need.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I had a '00 Sable wagon loaded with tools/part that sagged. I put the air bags in it and had zero issues for the 125k miles I put on that car. Still good when I sold it at 200k miles. Those bags are tougher than you think.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,923 Posts
Seems like air bags are the way to go. If money is an issue and you can get those maxx springs in your car for dirt cheap, it might be an ok stop gap till you save for a proper bagged solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts