Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought rgb lights to put inside my 2017 Malibu lt. I want to hook the lights up to where they come on when my headlights auto turn on at night time or in the dark. I found a live wire in the exterior light control but it was for the dimmer, we tried hooking the lights up to that but they would not turn on. Anyone know which wire would be the power? Help lol

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,672 Posts
Unless Chevy changed how they're activating relays, the BCM sends a ground to the headlight relay under the hood, which then sends power to the headlights.

What you need are the following, and I would argue in the order presented:
  1. The ability to test various wires in your car without damaging the GM LAN's computer data circuits, or the knowledge of which are the LAN wires and then stay as far away from them as possible.
  2. A schematic of the wiring for your car so you'll stand a better chance of not messing it up just for some RGB lights. Try a subscription to AllDataDIY for those and see if they're helpful.
  3. The ability to read schematics, follow the logical wiring and switching in the drawings, and then determine which is the best candidate wire to test for the signal you need.

Lacking any of the above, go out to the headlight(s) and tap into one of their power wires, then add an appropriate fuse, and run the wire to your RGB accessory.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.