Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new here.. I have a malibu 2014 LT. It has 87k miles. Last time I went for a regular oil change I was told that I should change the transmission oil also... Should I take it in to be changed or is it too late? GM dealer or valvoline? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Get it changed. Any fresh fluid is better than nothing. My preference is a full synth. fluid as I do my own servicing.
For long life of the trans. it should be changed every 45k miles.
Took my old '09 to 190k miles and sold it with a perfectly shifting trans. with the 45k mile fluid changes.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,682 Posts
Just be careful that it isn't power flushed. It should be drained by pulling the plug, then filled properly. It's GM that strongly advises against power flushes, nut just us shadetree guys.

I'm kinda on the fence, though, about pulling a hose at the radiator, then letting the transmission itself pump old fluid out while you fill it with new fluid.

You'll get about 50% of the fluid out by draining, but it won't risk any damage to the trans. Many comments on here suggest doing another D/F about 5,ooo miles later to raise that to ~75%, and some (like me) have done it a third time another 5,ooo later to get to ~88%.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Letting trans. pump itself out is a wrong move. Letting pumps run dry puts wear into them from lack of lubrication of a pump that is made to be constantly lubricated. Just like running out of gas hurts fuel pumps. The quest to get every drop of old fluid out is more damaging than just doing an additional change.
Drain and refill, if trans. is that dirty additional changes isn't that expensive and better in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.