Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you turn on the car and start driving, neither the "interior/recirculate" button is on nor the "exterior" air button is on..... so which one does it use if you don't click one and they both remain unchecked?

·
Registered
97 Posts
When you turn on the car and start driving, neither the "interior/recirculate" button is on nor the "exterior" air button is on..... so which one does it use if you don't click one and they both remain unchecked?
I am so glad you asked about this.. it was next on my list.

When the right hand knob is in "auto" mode, you won't see either the interior or exterior air button on since the auto uses what it deems "best" -- at least that is what the dealer told me.

My question had to do with the fact that there are two auto modes: I believe the one on the left controls only the fan to keep the car at a set temp. If you use only the one on the right, it selects the best mode -- does it do that using outside/inside temps? The dealer wasn't sure HOW the RHS auto button actually works. I have noticed that if it's colder outside, when I have the cabin temp about 70 it blows from the floor mostly. If I bump it up to 72, it changes and blows from everywhere.

In the manual, it says if you have it in full auto mode (both buttons on auto) that the A/C will come on if the external temp is 40 or higher. Last week it was 32 outside and the A/C came on anyway. Anyone else having those issues?

The auto does not seem to work the same way it did in my Grand Prix, which was great. This full auto doesn't seem to keep the cabin temperature constant at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a control freak and like to manually set it anyways, but I agree the full auto mode seems inconsistent when I have tried to use it. We're just getting into Spring here in MN and whenever I tried the Auto mode it would turn the A/C on in the middle of butt-cold MN winter...I didn't like it and basically just stopped using it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A few thoughts about this--

One of my main reasons for buying an LTZ (as opposed to an LT or LS) was the Automatic Climate Control (ACC). I've had it on my last four GM vehicles and had come to really enjoy being able to set a temperature and forget about it. In my wife's car--and in other cars with manual systems--I found I was always fiddling with the controls and I enjoy not having to worry about that in my Malibu.

Mine works just like I expected it to. Although the book says the A/C compressor is inoperative below 40 degrees, in actual practice I've found that it will run whenever the outside temperature is above 35 or so. The reason the A/C compressor runs--besides its primary purpose of cooling the car on hot days--is to dry the air, and in the winter that's a useful feature, at least to me. Even when the ACC is in full auto mode, you can always override it by pressing the A/C button (but a small gripe is that, if you do override it, it will be back on following the next ignition cycle--my previous cars would "remember" your setting).

There are three ways the ACC regulates the temperature: 1) By controlling the temperature of the air coming from the outlets; 2) By adjusting the flow of air between the outlets; and 3) By adjusting the fan speed. As has been previously pointed out, you can allow automatic control of fan speed, outlet selection, or both.

I find that full auto works for me. It always seems to keep the car comfortable. You have to be a bit patient with it, though. When you first start the car, I've found it takes a minute or so for the ACC to "stabilize"--meaning that until all the sensors get a good read on ambient conditions, the air blowing might be too cold, or coming from inappropriate places, etc. Usually, within a few seconds, in my experience, it's doing what it's supposed to.

One of my favorite things about the ACC is that on cold days, the heater doesn't come on (blowing cold air) until the engine warms up enough to heat the air. Then it gradually comes up to whatever speed necessary to warm the cabin. I think that's cool (er, warm).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone on this thread ever had problems with their climate control system? Mine (2005 Maxx) has gone completely haywire, keeps reverting to full-on hot air no matter where I set the controls on auto or manual, and I have no clue what's wrong with the system. Neither do the"mechanics" at muy local dealer...

Dan in MD

·
Registered
586 Posts
A few thoughts about this--

One of my main reasons for buying an LTZ (as opposed to an LT or LS) was the Automatic Climate Control (ACC). I've had it on my last four GM vehicles and had come to really enjoy being able to set a temperature and forget about it. In my wife's car--and in other cars with manual systems--I found I was always fiddling with the controls and I enjoy not having to worry about that in my Malibu.

Mine works just like I expected it to. Although the book says the A/C compressor is inoperative below 40 degrees, in actual practice I've found that it will run whenever the outside temperature is above 35 or so. The reason the A/C compressor runs--besides its primary purpose of cooling the car on hot days--is to dry the air, and in the winter that's a useful feature, at least to me. Even when the ACC is in full auto mode, you can always override it by pressing the A/C button (but a small gripe is that, if you do override it, it will be back on following the next ignition cycle--my previous cars would "remember" your setting).

One of my favorite things about the ACC is that on cold days, the heater doesn't come on (blowing cold air) until the engine warms up enough to heat the air. Then it gradually comes up to whatever speed necessary to warm the cabin. I think that's cool (er, warm).
I have the LT2, so this is my first car since 1989 that doesn't have Auto Climate Control. It was the only feature that I would have wanted that wasn't available. And when you've had it for some 20 years, it takes some getting used to.

With Auto Climate Control, I found that the Automatic Heating was better than the Auto Air conditioning. With the heating, I set a temperature and basically forgot about it. With Air-conditioning, I found that it would blow at full strength too long, so I always over-rode the Auto operation and lowered the fan speed manually. And I loved the feature stated above that you can hit the Auto Button in the winter time when the car was ice cold and it wouldn't blow air until the coolant was warm enough.

My first car to have this feature was an '86 Toronado, and every car since then has had it, so having manual climate control was an adjustment, but I'm getting used to it. It has a pretty flexible manual system, so it's not too hard to get used to.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I leave mine in full auto all the time but I tend to manualy turn off the A/C when it is cold since it is just waisting fuel at that point. If I need extra cooling I just turn the A/C button back on. The only time I adjust the knobs is when I need the defrost. Mine is always set at 68-70 degrees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone on this thread ever had problems with their climate control system? Mine (2005 Maxx) has gone completely haywire, keeps reverting to full-on hot air no matter where I set the controls on auto or manual, and I have no clue what's wrong with the system. Neither do the"mechanics" at muy local dealer...

Dan in MD
Yes, I experienced this tonight in my 2010 LTZ while driving home (over 70 miles) in the rain. What a pain! We had to continually keep regulating the temp by rolling down the windows. :mad: Let's hope the dealer can fix this ASAP as it's suppose to rain all week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx LT that has developed a problem with the automatic climate control system.

The garage did a diagnositc and of course it worked just fine for them. I have to take it in when its not working.

It appears that the pattern is that after driving for 30 - 60 minutes, the system decides only to blow out hot air. The lower or higher temperature settings is nauseatingly hot. I get the least heat at 21 -23 and absolutely need the fan turned off to minimize. The systems didn't reset itself after sitting all afternoon - but did after sitting overnight.

I'm not sure how I'm going to get it fixed - especially when its on the long drives that you really need temperature moderation.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,196 Posts
I take it you're in Canada? (Centigrade references)

There are some pretty knowledgable folks on here. They should be able to give you some good input once they read this.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm a control freak and like to manually set it anyways, but I agree the full auto mode seems inconsistent when I have tried to use it. We're just getting into Spring here in MN and whenever I tried the Auto mode it would turn the A/C on in the middle of butt-cold MN winter...I didn't like it and basically just stopped using it.
Well that would depend on the temperature you have the system set at. If it's set at 75 and it's 35 outside, you shouldn't get A/C unless there's a sensor problem. Once the car approaches the set temperature, the air will cool down to maintain that temperature and it should warm up again as the car cools down. I have the LT2, so I don't have the Auto Climate Control. But all my previous cars did have it and I thought it worked great, especially in the winter. It always kept the car at a comfortable temperture and I liked the sunload sensor which keeps it a bit cooler by the upper vents to compensate for the heat from the sun.

In the summertime, I always used the manual setting. I didn't like the big blast of air that the automatic setting produced when you first turned it on.

I was kind of disappointed the LT2 didn't have automatic climate control, but the manual system works pretty good and I've gotten used to it.
And I didn't realize until this past winter that with the remote start, the rear defroster turns on automatically. By the time I got outside, the rear window would be totally cleared of ice or snow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wasn't too concerned with the auto climate control when I bought my 2LT. My previous car was a Buick Regal GS that Had it and I was always fiddling with it too. It seems that the temp you have it set at on a cold morning won't work for you when it warms up in the afternoon. My wife has a 2011 Mazda3 GS and she pretty much leaves it in manual so it doesn't keep kicking on the AC compressor when you don't really need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.