Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I have a couple of questions about getting rims for my car.

I am wanting to get 20's for my car but I have never had or purchased rims for any of my other vehicle. If I upgraded my 17's to 20's would I need any additional parts/modifications to my car, like springs... etc. ?

I have been looking around at all kinds of websites looking for the rims that I want and if you do a quick search on this forum I really like JROC's rims (CLICK HERE) on his malibu. I was also wondering, if anyone knew what kind of rims those are? I would like the same kind of rim but possibly in black instead of chrome, but I will settle for whatever that company sells.

I would ask him myself but he has not been active on this forum for almost 5 months now.

Appreciate any help or feedback I can get.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Moving to correct section.

You can add 20's with no additional mods.
Our cars have a odd bolt-pattern, so selection is not too large. I, am not a fan of those
wheels you posted at all, way to busy IMO.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just bumping this thread.. I would really like to find someone who knows what type of rims those are.

Closest rims to those that I have found so far are the Enkei LF-10's with the chrome insert.

· Registered
7 Posts
Here is a link to a company that has 25 pages of rims that will fit our vehicles. You can upload a picture of the drivers side of your vehicle and see how the wheels will look on your particular car. Don't forget to drag the edges of the wheels you are looking at to fit the wheel well properly.
The link shows just one of the set of rims I previewed on my vehicle.

http://www.wheelsnext.com/preview-wheels-on-my-car/17C93E5B-3048-98A1-6EFC2ED1779519B8.html

Alright so I have a couple of questions about getting rims for my car.

I am wanting to get 20's for my car but I have never had or purchased rims for any of my other vehicle. If I upgraded my 17's to 20's would I need any additional parts/modifications to my car, like springs... etc. ?

I have been looking around at all kinds of websites looking for the rims that I want and if you do a quick search on this forum I really like JROC's rims (CLICK HERE) on his malibu. I was also wondering, if anyone knew what kind of rims those are? I would like the same kind of rim but possibly in black instead of chrome, but I will settle for whatever that company sells.

I would ask him myself but he has not been active on this forum for almost 5 months now.

Appreciate any help or feedback I can get.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Here is a link to a company that has 25 pages of rims that will fit our vehicles. You can upload a picture of the drivers side of your vehicle and see how the wheels will look on your particular car. Don't forget to drag the edges of the wheels you are looking at to fit the wheel well properly.
The link shows just one of the set of rims I previewed on my vehicle.

http://www.wheelsnext.com/preview-wheels-on-my-car/17C93E5B-3048-98A1-6EFC2ED1779519B8.html
Just beware that many wheels can "fit" our cars. What they don't tell you is that they need hubcentric rings to fit. I would NEVER use them....or they have to be specially made and that can get pricey. Just be careful and make sure they are a DIRECT fit.

Also, that is the worst preview system I have ever seen. The wheels look like 26's LOL!

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank m3 I have been looking around there!

And Silver, thanks for the heads up bro because I've been dead set on ordering some rims online. And just for the hell of it I put some in my cart on that site and there is an installation kit for $40 that comes with the rims (but I still gotta pay $40) and it has chrome lugs and hubcentric rings with it.

Why is it bad to use those rings?

And would I be better off ordering rims from a shop in town?

What is the exact specs on the rims I need to be looking for? (And what spec makes the rings necessary? )

· Registered
168 Posts
Rings are necessary because of the offset. If the tire/wheel would rub installed directly, they use rings so they mount further out from the car and have plenty of clearance.

They aren't bad, they just need to be done right. You need special lugs that can pull the wheels snug to the hub. Can you do it? Yes. Should you avoid it? I would. Simply makes sense that you would prefer nothing be between the wheels and the hubs. Lots of people use them, and I have, the horror stories come in when people don't do it properly.

Personal choice, personally I won't ever use them again. For safety and looks. (When the wheels protrude out the side of the car it looks stupid IMO)

· Registered
7 Posts
Silver, I agree with you and wouldn't use a wheel that requires spacers/rings myself. As for the the preview system, the picture I posted is my fault. In a hurry, I didn't take the time to size the wheels down to what they would more than likely look like on a vehicle. I do find it nice that you can upload a picture of your own vehicle to preview the wheels on though.

Chad, one of the good things about getting your rims local is that you see what you get and how they fit on your car before you shell out your money. I'm not knocking online sites...just suggesting that you ensure that you are ordering what you know will fit without problems, as mistakes can be costly.

Just beware that many wheels can "fit" our cars. What they don't tell you is that they need hubcentric rings to fit. I would NEVER use them....or they have to be specially made and that can get pricey. Just be careful and make sure they are a DIRECT fit.

Also, that is the worst preview system I have ever seen. The wheels look like 26's LOL!

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright thanks, but honestly if I just buy the rims online and get the kit from a local store do you think it would be ok, since they would know how to put them on properly?

And most likely I will talk to them about the website and rims before I buy them so they can give me ideas on what they know and other things.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just thinking about something.. If I went to order rims in a store but they did not have the specific ones I wanted, and I had them get it online or whatever, what if they did not fit? Would they deal with getting a refund or would they try to make me pay upfront before the order?

I've never ordered rims before and I know it varies from place to place but I'm sure they are usually about the same.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
I was just thinking about something.. If I went to order rims in a store but they did not have the specific ones I wanted, and I had them get it online or whatever, what if they did not fit? Would they deal with getting a refund or would they try to make me pay upfront before the order?

I've never ordered rims before and I know it varies from place to place but I'm sure they are usually about the same.
If the place you order from has half a brain they should order the correct set with a small deposit. The bolt-pattern and back-spacing is not rocket science.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Like you said here:

Just made me think that it is possible to order some online and have problems like hubcentric rings being a necessity.

EDIT: These are the rims I am very interested in:

IMAGE: http://www.mkwalloy.com/files/vehicles/AVENUE/513804222_300cAve3.jpg
RIMS: http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/Avenue-A602-Chrome.html

RIMS: http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/Black Ice Alloys-Envisio-Chrome w| Black.html

Also, on most websites I have to search for the years 2008-2009 because it says no results for 2010? Does it make a difference at all what year it is as long as it is 08-11 ??

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Like you said here:

Just made me think that it is possible to order some online and have problems like hubcentric rings being a necessity.

EDIT: These are the rims I am very interested in:

IMAGE: http://www.mkwalloy.com/files/vehicles/AVENUE/513804222_300cAve3.jpg
RIMS: http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/Avenue-A602-Chrome.html

RIMS: http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/Black Ice Alloys-Envisio-Chrome w| Black.html

Also, on most websites I have to search for the years 2008-2009 because it says no results for 2010? Does it make a difference at all what year it is as long as it is 08-11 ??
2008-2011 are the same, no worries. When you order you wheels just ask if they fit the bolt-pattern without any rings.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2008-2011 are the same, no worries. When you order you wheels just ask if they fit the bolt-pattern without any rings.
Alright thanks Silver, I am thinking about ordering some Avenue a602's from Wheels Next but I was going to call them before hand anyway to just verify that it will work percectly and without those rings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.