Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get it just becasue it looks better than the regular car remote. Stupid reason, I know :cool:

Anyone know if it's available yet?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Yes, it came available as an accessory at least a month or so ago.

To give a better impression of size, here is one next to the current typical GM remote:

The thing is, it's released for all of the big SUV's and crossovers, cars like the Lucerne and even G6, but I've yet to see a part number or any listing for it pertaining to the Malibu/Aura, etc. Don't know if that has changed or updated yet, but I would assume it should be available for them at some point.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Anyone else think that GM's key fobs are lame as hell? I mean, couldn't they spruce them up a bit?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I checked about a month ago and the shop said it now available, but they had not got any in at the time. If I understood the service manager correctly he said they would need to install a new receiver. You get one, 2 way fob, and he is not 100% sure, but he thought the old fobs could be reprogrammed to work with the new receiver.
It was good to see the pictures, I did not realize the new fob was was so thick.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The size of the fob doesn't look to be too bad as far as I'm concerned. I installed an Autopage RS-900 LCD 2-way remote start on my wife's old Trailblazer SS. The convenience of the extended range and remote start confirmation made the large fob seem insignificant. If the GM version works half as well as the Autopage, I'll think it's money well spent.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I checked about a month ago and the shop said it now available, but they had not got any in at the time. If I understood the service manager correctly he said they would need to install a new receiver. You get one, 2 way fob, and he is not 100% sure, but he thought the old fobs could be reprogrammed to work with the new receiver.
It was good to see the pictures, I did not realize the new fob was was so thick.
Correct. You get one remote standard with the base 2-way accessory and can keep a stock remote programmed as well. Or, they also then sell the same 2-way remote as a standalone so you can have two of the 2-ways if you want, effectively replacing all of your stock remotes. I think you can have up to 3 other remote fobs programmed at once.

I know several people who've gotten it installed on Yukons, Enclaves, etc. and they all love it, if for nothing other than the screen and the increased range. The much increased range is due in part to the accessory also including a new antenna and/or transceiver depending on the model it's for.

I still haven't seen it listed for the new Malibu/Aura yet, but have for the G6, so weird. Hopefully a dealer can find it. I was tempted to have it put on my new G6 but it really would be just a toy and I'm unsure about such a thick remote. Still maybe, but probably not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have it on one of my Enclaves, going to have it put on the 'bu. One of the nice things is that one remote can operate 2 cars. They are very nice and the range is incredible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.