Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting my car tinted 5% the whole way through in a few days.

But, I've never had a car with auto dimming mirrors.

This will not affect the mirrors in a negative way because with the tint it will allow less light to come into the vehicle so the mirrors will not dim.

Or is it that the mirrors dim depending on how much light is entering the car, so if i get the windows darkened they will be dimmed 100% of the time?

·
Registered
202 Posts
My truck had the auto dimming mirror and with just 30% tint, it made backing up at night very difficult. Are you sure 5% is even legal?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck had the auto dimming mirror and with just 30% tint, it made backing up at night very difficult. Are you sure 5% is even legal?

Well, with 5% backing up at night is impossible to judge so that's why you roll the windows down while doing it [LOL] but my question is do the mirrors auto dim based on the light coming in, or the time of day?

also, 5% is not technically legal, but it doesn't matter becasue I had my other car with 5% tint and I never got a ticket.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Note from Admin:

All off topic posts have been removed and/or edited.

Stay on topic and knock off the vulgar language. The behavior exhibited on this Thread will not be tolerated.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Which mirrors are auto dimming? I am assuming the rear view mirror only correct? Just wondering because "plurals" are being used above when referring to mirrors.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any auto dimming mirrors I've seen usually have a little sensor in the mirror it self and judges the light coming from the rear. The tint would make a difference since it's already dimming the light. So the mirror may or may not react to it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think the driver's side exterior mirror and the rear view mirrors are both auto-dimming. I don't know where the sensor is for the exterior mirror, or whether it simply works off the same sensor as the rear view mirror (basically both dim at once) though.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
You know, if there's a problem with it being too dark when it's on auto-dim... you could just temporarily turn it off via that power button.

·
Registered
701 Posts
OK, Had my windows tinted, and I am finding the opposite problem, it is always on dim it seems, or I just need to get used to it.

If I turn the auto dimming feature off, I also find I loose the ability to have my compass. Anyone know how to turn the auto dim off but keep the compass on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.