Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want wood on my steering wheel.

Is there anyway to possibly get this set up? As in I pay someone to do it...without messing up the steering wheel's function?

I know it's not generally accepted by the average population to do this but I'm not average >=D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cool idea! I'm sure it can be done but will require a good mechanic/woodcrafter. This would make a great winter project. Probably easiest to get an assembly from a JY, dis-assemble and see what can be done. It might be better to start with a 'generic' steering wheel you like and then modify that to integrate with the Malibu electronics (and air bag?!?). Maybe a Haynes/Chiltons will give details on what may be involved with the electronics and all.... Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Yes it can be done and a few companies actually do it and sell them for not much. The common practice is you send in your wheel and/or they already have a few spares in stock, one with wood is sent back to you and ready to be installed. They also offer extra choices as far as leather wrapping like factory, changing the leather color, etc.

The biggest issue is just the uninstalling and reinstalling, which, with a steering wheel is not a task for inexperienced people to try, but of course is doable.

I'd post a couple links but seem to be having Google issues at the moment...try some searches for wood steering wheels. It's a few of the places that also sell wood dash kits that generally offer it, as well as some who just do wheels alone. This is a biggie of the latter & probably the most reputable:

http://www.american-stitches.com/

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would think a Cadillac wheel would fit and then have it rebadges somehow. problem is cost, cosidering the airbag and getting the buttons to match up.

Wood looks great but in my opinion isnt practical for the function of driving. This is why alot of car makes have gone to wood and leather wheels, placing the leather where you most likely grasp the wheel.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Keep us posted...if the Camaro doesn't work out, there's a few Buick Lucernes on the market that I'd love to own and I want wood on the steering wheel...

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
You cannot cross-swap wheels of other designs from other new GM vehicles. While some of the parts may be similar or the same, there's still an incompatibility of controls, mounts, wiring, etc. more so than one may think.

If you want a wood wheel in the 'Bu, you're going to have to stick with the same 3-spoke it currently has. Unless you really want to venture into a more expensive, costly, and difficult swap.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The steering wheel in the post-facelift (2008/2009) STS is SEXY!

·
Registered
512 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.