Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive if this has been posted before. It's a pretty recent video on replacing the headlights, and it's a lot less painful than the documented method. My left low beam is out and I'm gonna give this a go.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,196 Posts
This method can and will save some time and effort.

But let's make a small correction of the information presented: The kind gentleman who posted this said that there is only one bolt holding the headlight housing. There are actually two bolts holding the housing to the car. The other one is accessed from the front of the housing on the other side of it, but this one needs to be removed only if you need to remove the whole housing, which makes it easier to service more of the housing.

It's very likely that all he meant was there was only one to remove to access it from the side like he did.

Either way, this is good information, and thank you @artm for finding it and sharing it with us!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thanks for the video.
So far I have not had a headlight bulb go out on my wife's 2008.
I have not been looking forward to the process, but this method looks doable.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Try that method when its cold you'll be pretty likely to crack the paint on the bumper, the bumper itself, and probably snap the inside mount bolt tab clean off the housing. Flexing plastic that hard can definitely cause some issues. Not worth the risk to me. Once you get the hang of it, taking it off isn't that much worse.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try that method when its cold you'll be pretty likely to crack the paint on the bumper, the bumper itself, and probably snap the inside mount bolt tab clean off the housing. Flexing plastic that hard can definitely cause some issues. Not worth the risk to me. Once you get the hang of it, taking it off isn't that much worse.
I had the same concerns. And then I actually did it.
I wouldn't recommend using a 24" (or any) extension to get to the headlight housing bolt because that's where all the flexing comes into play. I just put socket to ratchet and took the bolt out, rotated the housing and swapped the bulb.

If I had to drop the bumper I might've changed all four to prevent having to do it again next month. Instead it was one and done.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah, if you are careful with the bumper and no extensions, and its not crazy cold you may be ok there, I'd be more concerned about the other mount tab on the headlight housing. If that inside bolt is in fairly tight, its just not going to allow the flex in that housing to pull it part way out and get your hand behind it without twisting or breaking something. Even if you don't break something, you may wind up changing the aim of the light by twisting the panel its mounted to. I actually did that on purpose when I installed my HID since they were off, and that panel isn't hard to twist at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do yourself a favor, remove the front bumper cover and replace all of the headlight bulbs while it is apart. The other headlight bulbs are almost certainly old, and dim as compared to new ones. Keep the bulbs clean, no fingerprints, and use a little dielectric grease of the bulb and connector contacts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts