Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a stereo expert but I would like to sound at least halfway intelligent when I go see the dealer.

Driving along a nice smooth road listening to XM and the signal cuts out for a second and then a fairly loud "pop" sound. The XM signal returns a couple of seconds later and it sounds different. I played with the fade and it sounds like there is very little bass coming from the rear speakers.

The volume was not loud and I never crank it up. When listening to music it is never above 1/2 way on the volume indicator and usually about 1/3 so I know I didn't blast the speakers out. In fact 75% of the time I am listening to sports radio (ESPN etc.).

Anyone who is a stereo buff have any idea what might have happened? I tired the search function but didn't find anything like this problem.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I am not much of a stereo buff, but it does remind me of an issue I had. In my case I had rare unexplained cutouts (radio, XM, MP3 cd) with sound coming back in an instant and becoming "different", a but louder and...fuller. No particular pattern, it would cut out once a day for a week and go away for a month.
The dealer replaced the head unit, no questions asked. Haven't had the problem since (knock on wood :)).

A day or two before the new head unit I also noticed brief XM cutouts but not followed by a change in the sound. Could've been bad reception, but it did go away after the replacement and was fine until I canceled XM a couple of months later.

I also had a loud pop followed by loss of sound from the front speakers. That happened only 2 times, once with the old head unit, once with the new one. Both times the front speakers recovered after I turned the radio off and on again. The pop was pretty loud...kinda scared me both times. It's been a while since that happened, hope that was the last time :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.