Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
The display on my 2009 Malibu failed. The radio worked fine, but the screen was dead. I picked up another one for $20 at a junk yard. I wasn't sure if it would work because of the theft deterrent garbage, but it worked fine. About 3 weeks later, the radio stopped working and the word "locked" was displayed on the screen

First of all...Is a failed display common? can it be fixed?

Second.....can a locked radio be unlocked without taking it to the dealer? the dealer wanted $125.00

radio image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Do you still have your old radio? You can actually swap faceplates which includes the display without a problem. Just make sure it has the same frontal features such as aux/USB, otherwise you'll have problems. But if I remember correctly, there were just little screws that held the faceplate on. I'd try that route first and just swap the plates to see if it works. Still better than paying the dealer for a reprogram.

I don't know if there's a way to do it. On the Impala forums I saw a post about how to program a radio without a Tech2 or a dealer but I can't remember where it was. It involved pushing some buttons on the radio and finding a code and then calling a number with the code the radio outputs and acting as a dealer. Not even sure if the number is valid anymore or if these radios are capable of doing something like that despite looking almost identical, or if GM caught on to people doing something like this.

But thank thieves for features like this. It's like transponder keys. It's to help cut down on theft but it's a heck of a lot more expensive and a pain in the rear for the legitimate user of the vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Read this post by “DenverGp” on the Equinox/Terrain forum:

His unit needed replacement, he replaced it with a junkyard unit which then showed LOCKED, tried the dealer but they failed, so he bought an EEPROM programmer and changed the VIN# directly on the chip (versus the dealer using a Tech-2 through the car’s network and failing).

Cost him $10 for the EEPROM programmer (and $200 for the JY NAV radio).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response.
I already tried swapping face plates but the problem appears to be in the radio because the new faceplate didn't work either. I'm thinking maybe its in the power supply that powers the face plate.

I also saw some tutorials about button pressing, but none of those worked either, I think those were for older TDS radios.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts