Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i live in the middle east and it is very hot here! (yes like in the movies) I have a Malibu ltz 2013 and there is a kind of black rubber button on the radio screen that opens the compartment behind the screen. This button has melted and it seems the same is happening for everyone here, however no one is talking about it in the forum.

I asked a guy in the dealership he said we can replace the whole screen for you! of course i am not doing that.
I want to search for this part online but can't find anything! i don't even know what is called. can someone help with its name or part number or where can I find it online? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, i just wiped the melted rubber completely, there is a hard plastic behind it and works as a button, not a fancy one but looks ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same! I have a 2014 Malibu. It's melted and leaves a black residue every time i touch it! Any luck on replacement?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My latch is melted as well. I contacted GM today and explained there were many people having this issue and they said there is no special coverage warranties or service bulletins regarding the melting button, therefore it would be the owner's responsibility to repair. I would encourage all of you on this forum to go to General Motors and write a complaint on their page. Since this is a widespread issue, they should be paying for the cost of the repair. Here is my post in case you'd like to post something similar:

Dear GM, I have a 2014 Chevrolet Malibu in which the button to open the compartment behind the radio screen has melted and gets black goo everywhere each time I touch it. This issue is not only happening to me, but many others and here are just a few forums that are discussing it: Radio Screen opening button and Driver Information Display Screen latch melting. Given this is a widespread defect, why is GM is refusing to repair this melting button?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
Holler all you want, but GM has bigger fish to fry and I doubt they will ever offer any kind of coverage or special pricing on parts.

We're owners just like you, and we all want our stuff to work right just like you. But this isn't the kind of place to try to rouse a grass-roots support movement. However, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing what they want to do, just like you.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
My latch is melted as well. I contacted GM today and explained there were many people having this issue and they said there is no special coverage warranties or service bulletins regarding the melting button, therefore it would be the owner's responsibility to repair. I would encourage all of you on this forum to go to General Motors and write a complaint on their page. Since this is a widespread issue, they should be paying for the cost of the repair. Here is my post in case you'd like to post something similar:

Dear GM, I have a 2014 Chevrolet Malibu in which the button to open the compartment behind the radio screen has melted and gets black goo everywhere each time I touch it. This issue is not only happening to me, but many others and here are just a few forums that are discussing it: Radio Screen opening button and Driver Information Display Screen latch melting. Given this is a widespread defect, why is GM is refusing to repair this melting button?
Starting of with a grain of maturity would help too. Your username will prevent many from taking you seriously. Good luck with your incredibly rare issue though. This thread has a whole 7 posts including this one. I checked nhtsa complaints... two mentions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.