Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Thanks for letting me join your forum. I have a 2016 Malibu Limited. Today I started to change the rear brake pads on the rear.
It appears I don't have quite enough clearance to get the caliper over the new pads. I removed the thin clip on backs that came on the pads
and I screwed the piston back but I still need just a little more clearance.
I can still turn the piston but it don't seem to go back any further, it just spins. Should the piston stop turning when it gets all the way in?
I ran out of daylight and will continue work in the morning. It was getting tough to see, but it seemed like the piston and the fingers would go
part way over the pads but it stopped. I may could help it along with a rubber mallet, or bl;ock of wood and a hammer but I am little nervous doing that.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I am praying that when i get back to it tomorrow it will be something simple like I didn't have it lined up straight, I was getting frustrated and felt like walking away for a little while was best. I know ya'll have more experience on these cars than I do and any suggestions are truly welcome.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day, GOD Bless all of our troops those that gave some and those that gave all.

oletrkguy in SC

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
You might see if cracking the bleeder will help any. All you need is a tiny bit more and that might provide it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Is removing the cap from the reservoir different from opening the bleeder?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
There is a bleeder on each caliper. The cap on the reservoir does nothing when bleeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. After praying and cracking the bleeder I finally got them to slide on, I did remove the thin little snap on plates that came with the pads. The old pads didn't have them so I didn't use them. I made a tool to help with screwing the cylinder in. It would have been really aggravating with out it. I was wondering, would that cylinder eventually bottomed out without causing damage to the rubber boot and would WD or brake cleaner hurt anything? Thanks again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. After praying and cracking the bleeder I finally got them to slide on, I did remove the thin little snap on plates that came with the pads. The old pads didn't have them so I didn't use them. I made a tool to help with screwing the cylinder in. It would have been really aggravating with out it. I was wondering, would that cylinder eventually bottomed out without causing damage to the rubber boot and would WD or brake cleaner hurt anything? Thanks again.
My 2015 calipers have stops, there isn't any free spinning of the cylinder as you mentioned. Once it's retracted fully, there's no issue with the boot. And it is quite compressed, but not recessed on the caliper face. I have always used some type of lubricant to help with spinning the boot while retracting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your reply. I was finally able to get it back far enough to slide over the pads. Thanks for posting, have a good weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts