Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone-

I cleaned up the hubs, lubed the pins, and replaced the hardware, rotors and pads on the rear of my 2012 LT last night.

Took the car for a test drive and immediately noticed that the car was dragging and wouldn’t even creep forward with my foot off the brake. There seems to be little to no play between the calipers and rear pads upon inspection. I disassembled everything this morning, screwed the calipers in and pressed on the brakes and the pistons both came out. Screwing them back takes some effort but not terribly so.

Does this sound like a caliper issue? Or is this part of the normal break in for rear brakes? I have done this a half dozen times before with no similar issue in my memory.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,848 Posts
What method did you use to retract the caliper pistons? They're also used for the parking brake so they may just need to be taken apart, the piston retracted, and then put back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, DrivenDaily - I used a pair of needle nose pliers to gently twisty the pistons back into the caliper (righty-tighty). I've never had this problem before. Is there something I should check to see if it's the ebrake? I did notice it takes a lot of effort to engage the ebrake after the job was done...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I sure did. I even used a file to remove some of the corrosion as the surfaces were pretty bad. Hardware fit snuggly but not too tight into the slots, and I used purple Permatex on the hardware and pins...

sounds like rust jacking. Prior to assembly, did you remove any and all rust on the caliper brackets where the hardware is mounted?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Since you did screw the pistons back in I would say the pistons themselves are sticking in calipers.
Looks like it's time for some reman. calipers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had an issue with my rear brakes a while back (around 100k miles). I use the e-brake a lot when parking on inclines, and my issue was the rear calipers just seized up and was not fully releasing when i disengaged the e-brake.
2nd set of calipers has been fine for about 50k miles so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts