Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad day for the 'Bu......
I was on my way to an interview and got rear ended...

I had to make a hard stop because the person in front of me made a hard stop. Unfortunately, the lady who hit me wasn't able to stop fast enough. She was in a 98 s10 pickup. Since this interview was really important, we just exchanged info and I went on my way. By the Grace of God, the bumper held on for the 20 mile highway drive. As soon as I got back home and opened the trunk, the bumper fell!

I'm just glad we were both able to walk/drive away. I'm not even mad at her because she was VERY apologetic and has been very cooperative.

I was wishing they would total the car because the wave of impact went all the way to the front of the car. My front bumper looks a little squished at the bottom, and my front wheels camber are completely out of alignment. I'm hoping there isn't any further damage that is hidden.

Pics are below, and sorry for the size:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry, and I felt bad when mine got scratched a little. I'm still dreading the time when I am going to get my first deer with the Malibu. I know it is almost inevitable that it is going to happen.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Damn...

:(

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
So sad.

With a lot of background in auto collision, that's not hardly totaled, although will need significant work and time to do it. We shall see, as it starts through the process of insurance and inspections for you soon. Again, eek, and so sad.

Takes me back to the day we had a black pearl Chrysler 300M and were slam dunked from behind at a red light...that was BAD, and after a $13k repair bill and a little more than a month, all of the rear had been remodeled heavily.

Lest we remember it in its former glory:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to here about your car.

Just a question for you two. What percent tint do you two have that pictured there cars?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, shall we remember it how it once was. I refuse to take pictures of my 'bu with the rear fender in view (that scar still angers me about college students), now I do not feel so bad.

I hope all goes well, and it is restored to the point to where you would never know the difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the support you all! The pictures of when she was a baby brings a slight tear to my eye ...j/k!

It's not that I want it to be totaled, I just want to make sure it will be as good as new when it's fixed.

Good news is, I made it to that interview earlier than expected, and got the job!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Good news is, I made it to that interview earlier than expected, and got the job!
Well, then, not that it helps the car, but that's GREAT. Congrats;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Did that incident cause the OnStar AACN to activate? And sorry to hear about your car!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Partick...

Glad you are OK, as much as we love our cars, at the end of the day we need to remember that they can be fixed / repaired, we can't!

Nice to hear some good came from it, with getting the job and all....Any details you care to share about your new position? Congrats!

Hopefully it is not too long of a process to get fixed or hopefully your insurance company puts you in a decent loaner car while your's is being repaired.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Aww man so sorry to hear.. My last car (Scion tC) was rear ended and they fixed it up good. Hopefully they will return it to new quickly!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, to answer some questions:

Onstar didn't activate because the airbags didn't deploy. I believe that is what triggers it.

The new job is pretty much my same job but with more $$$ ! I currently do desktop support for United Healthcare, but will be doing it for Chase Paymentech...better benefits too!

My insurance isn't touched since it was the other person's fault. They put me in an Impala as a rental....it makes me miss my 'Bu even more! But, the base v6 in the Impala is ok, plus is getting better fuel economy than my 4 cyl. Malibu!

I'm still waiting on an estimate...I'm hoping there is no frame damage. While I didn't take pictures of the front, it looks like the lower front of the car's bumper was messed up because of the impact. Now it's just a waiting game...which I hate!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Huh.. so does that mean our Malibu's do NOT have AACN? It's something I'm kind of interested in seeing how I'm so stupid.. if I were in an accident I wouldn't know what to do, who to call, or where I even am! Could someone please clarify this?

ADDITION: Oh yeah, AACN, as far as I'm aware, is supposed to contact OnStar in a moderate to severe crash whether the airbags do or do not deploy.. that's why I'm confused.. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess it wasn't considered severe enough for it to call....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Huh... well that's good! LOL hope you're able to restore soon!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good News!
The car will be repaired with brand new parts from Chevrolet, to the tune of around $7500. I'm happy because I was worried they would use used/remanufactured parts! Now, I just don't know how long everything will take.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.