Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the 08 was rear ended the other day while sitting at a stop light. Can still drive it, not the worst damage visually but I know there is more than just the bumper that is messed up. Trunk pops hard and doesn't just close like it used to, have to slam it down pretty hard. The car has 182k miles. I have a feeling insurance will total this thing out. Edmunds shows a value between $500 and $3000. Not sure what insurance uses to determine value. It's been a good car, but hauling the hockey gear has been more tricky than something with more cargo space or larger opening would be. Just wondering if y'all think it might be totaled based on value or if you think insurance will fix it. I'm waiting to hear from an adjuster to know for sure, just hard to sit and wait. It's a 2008 LT1 2.4, AT with 182k miles, a couple rust spots at bottom by back of passenger doors.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
According to some quick research, I would expect insurance value to be between $500 and $1500. For example,over the summer a ‘08 LTZ with 117k and similar damage (runs and drives) sold for $1550. It was clean and rust free. I would assume that’s the high end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to some quick research, I would expect insurance value to be between $500 and $1500. For example,over the summer a ‘08 LTZ with 117k and similar damage (runs and drives) sold for $1550. It was clean and rust free. I would assume that’s the high end.

I have the rust spots on the quarter panels by the rear door and it's nice but a few blemishes here and there around the car when you get close. Seats are kinda water stained too. But this is what I was thinking that my car my not be worth $1500 in repair, and with the trunk binding I know it's not just a bumper that needs replaced. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What ended up happening with you car? I was just rear ended and have what sounds like the same problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just took it in to the body shop tonight. I was told the estimate can only include what is seen now so all the hidden issues behind the plastic come up later to adjust the estimate. My insurance also uses used parts for things like bumpers so parts would be less than his new OE parts. All that said they also said they will not order parts until the take it apart to know if it will be repaired or totaled.

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. No word from insurance so I called them, they had not received anything from the body shop so they called while I was on hold. Was told the body shop would get the info to them by last Tuesday and that it would take them 2-3 days to make a decision (being today). I figured I would give them until Monday and call back if I hadn't heard anything. A new discovery with all this, the car is now leaking something from the front (about in line with the wheels toward the passenger side.) I think it's odd that getting hit only in the rear is causing damage to make something leak up front but no issues with leaking until after being hit. I tried smelling the liquid and seeing if there was a specific odor or color to it but nothing jumps out to me as to what it is. I have informed insurance of this so it gets fixed as part of the claim.

@zonaodc How is yours panning out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another update. Insurance said the estimate they received was just under $900 for repairs. Based on what the body shop said, this is only for what can be seen, nothing that could be damaged once they start pulling the car apart. They are fixing the car, so now I have to drop it off and go down to one vehicle for the family for a while. Agent said he did not pull any detail as to the value of the vehicle and I have a $1000 deductible so I can see where they might not really care at the moment.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,949 Posts
Let's hope it all works out for the best!

·
Registered
23 Posts
For $900 the damage must not have been much more than visible and the hood latch. I was bumped at low speed once upon a time and their insurance paid $700 for a bumper and brackets.

I suppose the deductible makes the value discussion moot, as below that amount it’s the value to you that matters :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dropped the Malibu off at the body shop on Monday. Got a call today. Can't say it's good news but they are going to fix it. There was additional damage to the bumper reinforcement so it will need to be replaced. This brings the total estimate up to $1135. Body shop says NHTSA market value on the car is $4200 so this is within the 75% repair cost. Here is why it's not good news, I asked for an additional cost to fix the rust on the rockers by the rear door and he said not worth it. A previous owner had damage under the car and it's full of rust, repairs were not done correctly and everything is a mess. He said to repair that rust would easily exceed the value of the car based on how bad it is. He also mentioned the rear end being full of rust and 'previous damage' that wont be repaired as part of what they are fixing now. So I'll get the car back, with a new shiny bumper but still have all the unseen rust underneath and the two spots you can see.

In addition to all this, the car started leaking something (I'm guessing coolant) after the accident but since it's leaking in the front and was hit in the rear they will not look into it unless I pay an additional $90 inspection fee that is not part of my deductible or repair cost. So I'll have to figure that one out on my own once I get the car back (another reason for the not good news.)

Anyway, just an update for anyone curious. Hope y'all had a Merry Christmas!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,955 Posts
Sounds like your best bet is to get it fixed for its best cosmetic appeal and then trade it in for a different car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,955 Posts
they're going to look up the history and offer him scrap value for the car
That's certainly a possibility, but what's the alternative? Drive till the rusted damaged portion loses integrity?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the update. The quoted value blows me away! Sorry to hear about the leaking. Let us know what you find there

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I'll be 'fixing' the rust areas with spray foam and body filler. At least it will look ok until it falls apart.

I couldn't believe the value of the car either, totally caught off guard on that one. Fixing the rust or not, may just try to sell low to get enough for a down payment on something else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The mystery leak is the water pump. The added coolant and did a pressure test. A quick search shows this is a bit of a chore to change. Anyone do this on their own?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,949 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 2.4 does and looking through older post there is a special tool needed to ‘hold timing in place’ before you completely remove the water pump. Since the car is at the dealership I asked for an estimate just to see. Holy crap they want $725 to do the job (parts and labor). I wish I had know this and would have passed on the rear bumper fix and kept that money to go towards the next car. So even when I get my car back I still won’t be able to really use it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,955 Posts
Sorry to hear your story just keeps getting worse for you. Cars can really drain your finances when bad conditions line up just right. It's a real shame the accident compounded existing issues and insurance just throws up its hands and says "Not our problem."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts