Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
What year and trim is this car? Your previous posts indicate a 2016 Malibu LS - is that a 2016 Malibu Limited LS (gen8 older body style) or 2016 Malibu LS (current body style)? Your previous posts were in the gen9 section and this one posted to gen8. I'm just trying to clarify so I can get things in the right place. Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking, engine and transmission seals are covered under the powertrain warranty as long as the terms of coverage are met.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
The next question I'd ask is, How did you come to the idea that your rear main seal needs replaced?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is a 2016 Malibu LS with 56000 miles and my boyfriend works at a car shop and was driving my car to give it a oil change when he realized that my car was leaking oil all over my engine .

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Based on that info I moved this discussion to the gen9 section. That is an interesting leak location; I have not read of that yet. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Yup, all good and in the right place now. Get that thing in pronto while still under the powertrain warranty. They will probably do some testing to verify the leak location and figure out what if anything caused the seal to fail. Usually crankcase pressure variances, both positive and negative, lead to leaks and compression / leakdown testing is necessary as well as checks to the air induction system. They also had clogged PCV valves causing that years ago but not on these as far as I know. Either way bad that it is leaking but good news on the timing.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Thanks for answering that question. Too often we hear of folks who scam others, leading them to spend $$$ that wasn't needed. It's good that you can trust your BF.

+1 on what @campb292 recommends. Get it in there ASAP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for answering that question. Too often we hear of folks who scam others, leading them to spend $$$ that wasn't needed. It's good that you can trust your BF.

+1 on what @campb292 recommends. Get it in there ASAP.
Brought my car in yesterday and hopefully they get back to me soon to let me know if it’s covered under warranty , apperently I bought and extended warranty when I bought the car that I didn’t know about so hopefully that will cover it if my Powertrain doesn’t !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts