Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a somewhat constant squeak in the rear quarter panel area on the passenger side. I have already pulled off the cover back there, and everything is good & tight, nothing is loose. is there anyone else who experiences this? mine does it at interstate speeds, while on relatively smooth roads. other than that, i seldom hear it, but is annoying-as-all-get-out when traveling down this interstate with this squeaking that wont stop!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Are you referring to the lower portion behind the wheel? It's somewhat loose, I found that out when washing the car. Don't know that it would cause any squeaking sounds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No squeaks here and I hope it stays that way. Make sure your folding back seat is fully latched. Mine were not when I received the car and required a firm slam to get them to fully latch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is certainly the quietest car I have owned so far but I do seem to have an occasional squeak coming from the interior rear passenger-side area somewhere - nothing major and It's only after a few rough roads. It's not consistent enough to nail down though...

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
This is certainly the quietest car I have owned so far but I do seem to have an occasional squeak coming from the interior rear passenger-side area somewhere - nothing major and It's only after a few rough roads. It's not consistent enough to nail down though...
Could be the belt buckles hitting the seat surface? I get that, the colder it is the more I get it. It sounds like a buzz.

Also I am getting a tap sometimes when I pull out of the driveway. Usually it happens once per travel :) Sounds like something related to the front passenger seatbelt in the the center pillar where it hangs...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean with the seat belts, I had that happen in my old car. This is a very noticeable, and pronounced squeak, and once it starts, it doesnt stop. Ill nail it down someday, just wondered if anyone else had it.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I know what you mean with the seat belts, I had that happen in my old car. This is a very noticeable, and pronounced squeak, and once it starts, it doesnt stop. Ill nail it down someday, just wondered if anyone else had it.
Another thing I had on my car was a panel popping up on the back. The one that goes around the wheel well. It was not properly seated. It didn't make any noise, but maybe it does on your car? The problem was that there was a wire harness stuck in between the panel and the body keeping a small plastic peg near the floor from engaging. As a result the panel was held at 2 points only - by another panel on the door sill and a screw under the back cushion of the seat leaving the rest of this long plastic part loose.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just got my car back from the dealer today, and the culprate was an "improperly mounted, and incorrectly secured wheel well liner"

They removed the liner, reinstalled, resecured, and returned it to me, and the squeak is gone. thank god! it was terrible!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an '09 LTZ with about 450 miles on it and I'm experiencing a squeak similar to the one described in this thread. It is kind of random, but when I hit a substantial bump, especially when cornering, I hear a very pronounced squeak or chirp. At first i though it was coming from the interior of the vehicle, but I could not locate anything that was the obvious cause.

How long did your wheel well repair take?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer was busy the day i dropped it off, so it took all day. However, as i mentioned that my squeak was fixed with the liner repair, it came back the next day. This weekend I decided that I was going to find/fix this sound myself. I had already diagnosed that it would happen on smooth roads at high speeds, and would go away if it rained.

I did some research online, and in older malibu's people were having issues with where the rear strut was seated on the body, and it was not lubricated and making sound. I talked to my dad about it, and we had an old cavalier that did the same thing. his friend (who owns his own inspection station) suggested that i pour a small amount of automatic transmission fluid on the strut mount from inside the trunk, and it would run down, and lubricate between the body and mount. I did that, and then sprayed the outer parts of the mount (in the well) with white lithium grease.

So far, its been gone. It didnt take too long to fix myself, and i didnt have to have go go without my car all day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've got an appt. at the dealership tomorrow and will mention the possible strut issue in addition to the liner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It ended up being an interior problem - the headliner was loose. They also noticed that I have a faulty sunshade for my sunroof which they ordered new parts for. This problem was pretty annoying also - when the shade was open I heard a loud rattle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
strange you just posted your fix, i was just wondering today if you had ever gotten to the root of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
CRM2019,

How did you get to it from the top? Is it exposed? Did you remove the wheel liner in order to spray the grease on it? Is it still fixed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.