Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just tried to plug my household vaccuum into the rear power pack - boy am I a dumbass. Didn't work and I was like @#%#%? Looked at the manual and you can only have a max of 150 watts - think thats very low AMP voltage - so my car still needs a good vaccuuming today - guess I have to buy that new dustbuster after all!!!

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Well I just tried to plug my household vaccuum into the rear power pack - boy am I a dumbass. Didn't work and I was like @#%#%? Looked at the manual and you can only have a max of 150 watts - think thats very low AMP voltage - so my car still needs a good vaccuuming today - guess I have to buy that new dustbuster after all!!!
Bummer! :( I'll try my small shop vac and see what happens.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Darn, that's what I planned to use it for :mad:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just tried my small Dirt Devil. When I plugged it in nothing. I turned the key to Acc. the little light lit up and the vac worked for 3 or 4 seconds. It must have a breaker and not a fuse because it reset itself after I turned the key off and back on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does an inverter do?

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
From Wikipedia:

An inverter converts the DC electricity from sources such as batteries, solar panels, or fuel cells to AC electricity. The electricity can then be used to operate AC equipment such as those that are plugged in to most house hold electrical outlets.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty sure a cell phone charger would work in there...

·
Registered
795 Posts
My guess is they plan on it being used for laptops and portable DVD players.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used it to charge my Blackberry and my GPS system. It worked just fine for that.
It looks like it will be relegated to small charging type items. Cell, Ipod etc. If you want to do some real work, go to Amazon and they have Inverters that are good for up to 1500 watts and more. Can be wired in and put under seat as Ive seen before for people that camp etc alot.

I need a larger capacity for a small portable medical oxygen accumulator device and I will get one of the higher capacity versions and have it hard wired into the 12 volt system.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't think it was designed to handle appliances like a vacuum. Probably just a convenient cell phone charger, as stated previously.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Before anybody goes & buys an inverter.....just buy an extension cord (for your vacuum) for $5 instead, LOL

·
Registered
421 Posts
You can find inverters in many electronics stores (and Wal-Mart) now too, and they don't cost a lot. Still, I don't have a problem with the outlet in my LTZ. I considered doing the Xbox thing with the Avalanche, but that won't be happening with this car. Cell phones and Game Boys are about the most taxing things that'll be seeing that plug in action with this vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.