Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick one about replacing the rear speakers of my 2012 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT, with OnStar, non-Bose.

This thread will include photos of removing interior panels to access and replace the rear 6x9 speakers. I will also include pictures of the OE wiring polarity of the rear speakers.

Pics to follow...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
PIC 1: Fold down the rear seat

PIC 2: Remove (4) 10mm bolts

PIC 3 & 4: (optional) remove the seat end bolsters, there's a large clip that you have to depress on top (put some effort into it)

PIC 5: showing the 10mm bolts are removed and the bolsters are removed, Now pull the metal framing toward to the front of the car to access the C Pillar (sail panels) trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PIC 6: Pull the top of the sail panel trim out, wiggle up and out

PIC 7: There will be a plastic tether that (I assume) keeps the trim from striking occupants when the C pillar air bags go off. Remove the tether by twisting it 1/4 turn and pulling

PIC 8: Sail panel trim removed, inside view

PIC 9 & 10: Remove the round push clips

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removing the main deck trim. With the two push pins removed (see previous post), you need to pull the side plastic away from the main deck trim.

PIC 11: Rear main deck trim

PIC 12: Side trim being pulled away from main deck trim

PIC 13: Lift main deck trim pick and wiggle it free, you'll see a connector for the third brake lamp

PIC 14: Close up of the connector

PIC 15: Rear main deck trim removed

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
PIC 16: Backside view of rear deck trim

PIC 17: View of the OE rear speakers exposed

PIC 18: Closer view of OE speakers in the vehicle

To remove the OE speakers, you have to remove (1) 7mm screw, then pry the speaker up, it takes some effort to pop it free.

PIC 19: Backside view of the OE speaker removed from the vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ready for install of the new speakers.

New speakers: Rockford Fosgate P1690 (2 way full range 6x9")

PIC 20: Side view of OE and Fosgate

PIC 21: Top view of OE and Fosgate

I needed to drill holes for the speakers, so...

PIC 22: I put down masking tape to make my markings easy to see, then sat the new speaker in place

Marked and drilled the holes.

PIC 23: Rear speakers installed

PIC 24: Top view of rear speakers installed

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally, here's the OE wire polarity (of my 12 Malibu, might be different on other years)

Driver Rear (Left Rear) - PIC 25

Yellow = Negative (-)
Gray = Positive (+)

Passenger Rear (Right Rear) - PIC 26

Light Blue = Negative (-)
Dark Blue = Positive (+)

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,129 Posts
How do they sound compared to the stockers?

·
Super Moderator
722 Posts
How do they sound compared to the stockers?
+1, several times I've considered replacing my rear speakers so I'm curious what kind of improvement comes from it. I couldn't care less about boomy boom like the teenagers seem to love but I do appreciate bigger ranges of frequency that stock speakers may not really provide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Excellent! I've had various vehicles/setups in the past. But this is by far the best sounding system I've owned.

A couple things to consider,

1) JVC KW‑V830BT head unit is loaded with sound enhancement technology, not to mention a 13 band equalizer. At $400, it seems like a bargain for what you get, IMO. This head unit will enhance just about any speaker setup.
2) Most the sound stage and kick comes from the door speakers (Rockford Fosgate P1650 6.5")

I would recommend upgrading the rears, even if they're not Fosgates. If you do the math, $65 for my door speakers, $75 for the rear speakers = $140.

Take $140 and track down a subwoofer, box, amp and wiring. Plus you need to take apart your interior to route the power wire to the battery (not to mention the firewall), No thanks. Those days are behind me. If you need extra bass to shake the street signs, then go for it. LOL

I got off point there... What I'm trying to convey is that it actually saves money (and headache) to replace all 4 speakers instead of rolling with stock speakers w/ sub & amp. Not to mention it'll save a little space in the trunk as well.

If I wanted to take it to the "next level" I could do the component speaker route. I really don't want to though. I'm very, very satisfied with my setup. For example, I was listening to the song "Ticks and Leeches" by Tool and it sounds like the drum kit is on my lap, it's really amazing. That song may not be everyone's cup-o-tea, but the drums are very intense.

Cheers!

-Tyler

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did I mention I was satisfied with my setup? I've been taking the long routes to places to allow for extra time to enjoy my music in the car!

·
Super Moderator
722 Posts
I installed aftermarket Pioneer speakers in my front doors but never got around to doing the backs yet. I wouldn't say they are louder but they were definitely better in the higher range of frequency, I can distinguish higher frequency a lot more than I could with the stock speakers. But then I started my interior color transformation and just sort of put any other upgrades on hold, especially because taking that stupid upper rear trim panel out can be frustrating. I will say that I think the 2000-2005 Chevy Impala had really good stock speakers, better than the Malibu in my opinion. But I may return to the idea of replacing the rear speakers once I finish my interior transformation. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
PIC 16: Backside view of rear deck trim

PIC 17: View of the OE rear speakers exposed

PIC 18: Closer view of OE speakers in the vehicle

To remove the OE speakers, you have to remove (1) 7mm screw, then pry the speaker up, it takes some effort to pop it free.

PIC 19: Backside view of the OE speaker removed from the vehicle
Im really having trouble unscrewing the speakers because there’s some metal thing under it how do I unscrew it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts