Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear Shocks for 2010 LTZ V6

Everyone

My original rear struts have gone soft. The rear end is a little bouncy and handling has become sloppy.

Any ideas what struts I should get. Mind you I drive this car like its a race car.

Your thoughts and expertise are all welcome.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
No struts on the rear, it has shocks. I went with KYB when I did my suspension refresh 45k ago and no issue with KYB front or rear.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Rear Shocks for 2010 LTZ V6

Guys

Today I went to buy shocks for the Mailbu. I went to a reputable parts store , who never steered me wrong.

I asked for KYB's he did not have them -- he tried selling me on TRW Shocks. He also had Monroe but he said the TRW were better.

The parts guy saw I hesitated and said -- look go home look them up, if you want them I have them in stock , if you want the KYB's I will order them.

Can any one tell me if these are worth going for or hold out for the KYB's?

The difference in price $5.00 more for KYB.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Rock Auto will give you a selection of shocks. I wouldn't go with TRW shocks myself. I get RA part# and shop between them and Amazon to compare costs as I'm a prime member.
RA even lists AC shocks. RA will always beat the parts store price including the shipping.
Parts store will sell the highest profit margin/in stock part. It is a business after all unless he's your family.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
When I lowered my Gen7 I was not able to disassemble the first front strut (driver's side), so I bought all of the parts except the springs to build 2 complete struts using my lowering springs, but no shocks for the rear. When I chose the shocks I went with KYB and chose a "higher level", figuring that it'll last longer or be better at doing its job. Boy, was I wrong!

I love how my car handles but I pay for it on every bump, including the tar strips and even minor changes in pavement elevations. Were I to do it again, I'd get ones that are closer to OE specs so I could keep the nice ride, but then again, maybe this wouldn't out-corner that Bimmer anymore, either...

Consider your choices and then have fun! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*******UPDATE *******

So I went back thru my notes to see what front struts I had. They are Gabriel Ultra. Gotta say they been on for about 30,000 miles and no issues. They respond quick and can take NY City Streets. So I went with the Gabriel Ultra Shocks. At first they seem a little stiff. Did 200 miles this weekend some of the mile with a total of four passengers , some of the miles with a total of one passenger. Now with two big passengers in the back , the car did not lower a lot just a bit still leaving me with plenty of room between the tire and the body. I took some hard turns -- No leaning , No floating car felt pretty stable. Some of my driving was in the rain, still was a pretty good ride. Went over a couple of street humps and didn't even feel them.

These are a little better than the originals.

Now I was going to go with KYB's I have them on two of my other cars, but I did not want that "hard over the bump" ride.

So -- I give these Gabriel's a thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I'm glad you are happy with your new shocks but some of the things you attribute to your new shocks are jobs done by springs (ride height) and sway bars and their related bushings (body lean)...

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
SilverSport
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing