Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey first timer here so be patient. I've got a knock in my rear suspension when I hit a bump. The roads are very rough where I live and I just replaced the rear shocks and springs because one shock was completely gone and one spring broken. I was thinking this would fix the problem but there is still a bit of a dull thud on the passenger side whenever i hit a bump. Thinking maybe a bushing is gone?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,229 Posts
That description sounds plausible.

Also, if the springs were replaced and the rubber isolators were not put back or installed the wrong way, the spring could be hitting the perch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That description sounds plausible.

Also, if the springs were replaced and the rubber isolators were not put back or installed the wrong way, the spring could be hitting the perch.
No I replaced the isolators when I did the springs. It sounds more like a loose connection.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Stabilizer bar bushings will make a clunk noise. Use a pry bar to see how much play yours have.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a clunk noise issue in my 16 Malibu. The dealer replaced almost every part of the rear suspension and it still exists. The clunk noise occurs when I pull off and sometimes braking. I wish I can locate the noise....

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a clunk noise issue in my 16 Malibu. The dealer replaced almost every part of the rear suspension and it still exists. The clunk noise occurs when I pull off and sometimes braking. I wish I can locate the noise....
That almost sounds like a sticking caliper. If the caliper sticks when you stop and then suddenly releases when the car starts moving, it could clunk open. I had a car that did that, almost felt like you'd been lightly rear-ended when it released.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue! Were you able to get this resolved?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have taken mine in for much the same problem. They said there is a bulletin (i've seen it but don't have it now) for the two bolts in the trailing arm. The followed the bulletin to a tee, even replacing the bolts, and it was fine for about a few hours. Then it came back worse than ever! Now instead of a intermittent popping noise, it's doing it every time I take off from a stop. Basically any time I stop and wait a moment and then as I take off and the suspension settles a little bit, it will do it.

So I took it upon myself to look at it today. While I'm not a certified mechanic, I do troubleshoot and repair things for a living. I took out the lower bolt that holds the spindle to the lower spring perch to split the suspension in half. At this point, all of the bushings and movement of the wheel hub assembly was like butter. Up, down, in and out, it moves around without any noise and is as smooth as can be. LIfting the spring perch, there was a very little and faint noise, but I don't think it was the same. I think that is just a little stiction of the shock. I tried everything without the shock, but that really didn't tell me anything.

The one thing that I did notice is the lower bolt of spindle, the one that I removed, goes through a ball joint. This heim-type of ball joint is sandwiched between the U-channel of the spring perch. This ball joint barely moves with the up and down of the suspension but does have to rotate as the suspension moves up and down. I put a long punch in the bolt hole of the ball joint and moved it around. Ii is very sticky for lack of a better term. I has terrible stiction! You have to pry on it pretty hard to get it to move and then all of a sudden it lets go and moves, until you do it again. I think this may very well be the noise! It sounds like something is in a slight bind and then pops and lets go, much like this ball joint.

I put the bolt back in (the correct way this time, thanks to the dealer) and over-torqued it a bit. I wasn't sure if it's moving around a bit on the bolt or not. I drove it to the store and back and never heard the sound. I'm sure it will be back again, but I wonder if I touched on it and disrupted it from making the noise. The next step is to try and replace the ball joint but it's integrated into the spindle and I believe the spindle will have to be replaced as a unit. I'm sure it will be expensive to "try". On top of that, this is actually a company provided vehicle and I'm not sure how I want have this paid for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon. Could you accompany your steps with photos of problem parts? Thank you. At me Malibu LT 2017. There was a knock on 13.000 km. The reason was in the rear shock absorber.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good afternoon. Could you accompany your steps with photos of problem parts? Thank you. At me Malibu LT 2017. There was a knock on 13.000 km. The reason was in the rear shock absorber.
When I work on it again, I can take pictures and a video.

Since my post, I removed the driver side and found out the lower ball joint of the knuckle is much, much easier to move and does not make the noise. This has convinced me that the passenger side is bad. So I ordered a new knuckle unit with the ball joint only to find out they are on national backorder status with no ETA. That along usually means something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been following this cursed noise for a very long time on our 2013 Malibu. At first the noise was random and only at passenger side. Now(70k) it happens every time it hit a mild bump(like a speed reduction bump) and it happens both on right and left rear tires. I read somewhere it is related to a improperly tightened bolt on suspension but I checked everything and found nothing. I am almost sure rear struts are not the cause and now I have seen some posts here that make me believe it is not a struts problem. I think it should be something like a wrong diameter bolt that leads to a small movement or "play" on some suspension part,no matter how thightened the bolts are. I will continue trying to spot the problem. Please,if someone finds out the cause let us all know. It is driving me crazy.:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problems. I replaced the shock absorbers and the bearing hub but the the noise is still there. Checked everything in the suspension but nothing is loosed. I need some solution too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have taken mine in for much the same problem. They said there is a bulletin (i've seen it but don't have it now) for the two bolts in the trailing arm. The followed the bulletin to a tee, even replacing the bolts, and it was fine for about a few hours. Then it came back worse than ever! Now instead of a intermittent popping noise, it's doing it every time I take off from a stop. Basically any time I stop and wait a moment and then as I take off and the suspension settles a little bit, it will do it.

So I took it upon myself to look at it today. While I'm not a certified mechanic, I do troubleshoot and repair things for a living. I took out the lower bolt that holds the spindle to the lower spring perch to split the suspension in half. At this point, all of the bushings and movement of the wheel hub assembly was like butter. Up, down, in and out, it moves around without any noise and is as smooth as can be. LIfting the spring perch, there was a very little and faint noise, but I don't think it was the same. I think that is just a little stiction of the shock. I tried everything without the shock, but that really didn't tell me anything.

The one thing that I did notice is the lower bolt of spindle, the one that I removed, goes through a ball joint. This heim-type of ball joint is sandwiched between the U-channel of the spring perch. This ball joint barely moves with the up and down of the suspension but does have to rotate as the suspension moves up and down. I put a long punch in the bolt hole of the ball joint and moved it around. Ii is very sticky for lack of a better term. I has terrible stiction! You have to pry on it pretty hard to get it to move and then all of a sudden it lets go and moves, until you do it again. I think this may very well be the noise! It sounds like something is in a slight bind and then pops and lets go, much like this ball joint.

I put the bolt back in (the correct way this time, thanks to the dealer) and over-torqued it a bit. I wasn't sure if it's moving around a bit on the bolt or not. I drove it to the store and back and never heard the sound. I'm sure it will be back again, but I wonder if I touched on it and disrupted it from making the noise. The next step is to try and replace the ball joint but it's integrated into the spindle and I believe the spindle will have to be replaced as a unit. I'm sure it will be expensive to "try". On top of that, this is actually a company provided vehicle and I'm not sure how I want have this paid for.
I did the exact same thing. 2018, popping sound at slow speeds, random Timing.
the rubber bushing at base of spindle was ‘sticking and popping when forced movement’. I used a big screwdriver to move it around.
everthing else is good, no popping or sticking.
going to replace this bushing and let you know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts