Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start changing my own oil -- I like to go full-synthetic for the best protection but I don't know exactly which oil I should buy? Or does it even matter? I'm at almost 78,000 miles and do like to rev her up fairly often...

Also, what oil filter should I use?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
You will receive many different recommendations.
My two cents.....just go to walmart and buy their super tech synthetic oil and anything but the cheapest oil filter. Change oil at reasonable intervals and check the oil often.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will receive many different recommendations.
My two cents.....just go to walmart and buy their super tech synthetic oil and anything but the cheapest oil filter. Change oil at reasonable intervals and check the oil often.
Sounds good, and yup I do make sure to check my oil occasionally and do full synthetic every 4,000-5,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,481 Posts
Sounds good, and yup I do make sure to check my oil occasionally and do full synthetic every 4,000-5,000 miles.
4000 miles is on the excessive side. 5000-6000 is fine, just check the dipstick and make sure it's not consuming oil.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
WM 5-30w full synth, it's Dexos approved. Put 190k miles on my old '09 and sold it running like a top. It's what I use in the 3.6's in my fleet listed below.
The 'nox has 80k on it now and maybe uses a half a qt. between changes and it gets changed by the OLM.

·
Registered
09 Malibu, 2.4L Engine, 6T40 Transmission, LT Package - Retired Fleet Vehicle
50 Posts
Any Dexos 1 certified synthetic oil is fine. No conventional.

I used mobil 1 oil and either a wix or mobil 1 filter.
This is exactly what I used for my oil change today. Wix has a solid reputation, and I have rarely seen complaints about M1.

·
Registered
09 Malibu, 2.4L Engine, 6T40 Transmission, LT Package - Retired Fleet Vehicle
50 Posts
I have no idea why my msgs keep getting duplicated. Apologies, all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I want to start changing my own oil -- I like to go full-synthetic for the best protection but I don't know exactly which oil I should buy? Or does it even matter? I'm at almost 78,000 miles and do like to rev her up fairly often...

Also, what oil filter should I use?

Thanks in advance!!
I’ve owned my 09 3.6 since new. All I’ve ever put in it is synthetic. Runs like a champ. 113K.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any Dexos 1 certified synthetic oil is fine. No conventional.

I used mobil 1 oil and either a wix or mobil 1 filter.
Mobil 1 is a great choice. If you are a Costco member, you may want to try their very similar Kirkland synthetic at almost half the price (and spend the $$ on a good filter, especially if you run 10k miles between changes).

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can double your 4000-5000 miles with synthetic oil, unless you have severe driving conditions. Spend the extra $$ on top tier gasoline instead (which will keep your engine cleaner).

·
Registered
3 Posts
WM 5-30w full synth, it's Dexos approved. Put 190k miles on my old '09 and sold it running like a top. It's what I use in the 3.6's in my fleet listed below.
The 'nox has 80k on it now and maybe uses a half a qt. between changes and it gets changed by the OLM.
Phillip :)
That's the oil I use

1 - 14 of 14 Posts