Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recommended treatment/maintenance for exterior chrome

13K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Malo83 
#1 ·
Any recommendations for maintaining the exterior chrome? One of my friends suggested maybe applying some kind of wax, so that it would be easier to clean when debris, bugs, road dirt, etc. collect on the chrome -- especially the chrome along the bottom of the sides of the new Bu (but I'm also interested in maintaining the look of all the exterior chrome -- door handles, etc.).

#2 ·
I just use the Mequiars spray wax (the type that waxes as you dry). It cleaned the crome on my 'Bu really web. You just spray it on after you was the car, rub it in, and buff it out with a microfiber cloth. It's greatness!

#7 ·
We had a very nice day here (Seattle) yesterday and I decided to wash and wax the car. It just so happened that I had a small area of my chrome that was scratched. I used some Mothers chrome polish and the scratches are all gone. I followed that up with an entire car wax with Turtle Wax Ice synthetic liquid polish. I tell you what, I swear by this stuff! You can wax just about everyting on your vehicle, including black rubber and plastic. Even if you have previous white reside on your black rubber and plastic, this polish will take care of it. Glass, I hate streaks and spots. I found the best glass cleaner, Stoner Invisible Glass, premium glass cleaner. And my last rave is for the tires, I use Meguiar's Hot Shine tire spray. Hope some of my rants helped. :cool:

#11 ·
When I wash a vehicle I usually use a car wash that breaks down any extra wax. It just so happened that since this was the first wash and wax on the car, I washed it as I always do (never with a brush, always hand wash it) and just before it dried I broke out the Turtle Wax Bar Ice liquid bar clay, followed by another wash and then the wax. To answer your question though, Ice will cover up all of the previous bad waxes and make your car look great. Just make sure to use a micro fiber cloth when you are wiping off the wax. Enjoy!

#16 ·
I am a Amsoil (Mothers) dealer so I have to pitch the mothers wax and polish and all their detailing components. The 2 stage polish covers up and slight imperfections in the paint and makes a nice mirror finish on darker colors. They have a nice plastic polish that will make any plastic (clear or not) shine and look amazing. They have a powerball for chrome that polishes the ever living crap out of it.

#19 ·
I've herd of people using steel wool pads. I've seen them used on chrome around doors panels. Not sure about chrome on the grille of our cars. I was kind of surprised of the results. Steel wool took off all of the "white" (oxidatikon type residue) on the chrome of the door panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.