Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 malibu 2.4 liter flex fuel six speed automatic transmission. I was driving home and it came on. I got the p2135 and when I was trying to hit my hazards I hit the traction control button. I saw the tsc off on the screen. The code is c0242. Online tells me throttle body or the gas pedal. Any ideas?
Only two codes
P2135 & c0242

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,874 Posts
Indicates TPS system issue.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mechanic found no codes. I accidently cleared the c0242 and the check engine light went away but for me the p2135 stayed. Now it doesn't show the p2135. Only thing he found was water in the intake hose. I'm so lost on it. Said the water could've froze to throttle body and caused it to wig out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update : it did it again. While driving above 35mph. Scanned for codes and the same ones. I did more driving and start driving again and the check engine light went off. I didn't clear the codes. P2135 and c0242 still show when I scanned so hopefully my mechanic tomorrow can see what it is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long would you say that the new throttle body replacement would take to adjust to how I drive? Seems like the new one has rough shifts sometimes and rpm is all over the place?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,963 Posts
Several driving cycles if it wasn't relearned with a scan tool. Make sure you idle in park at least 3 minutes.

Reactions: Doworkscotty

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Several driving cycles if it wasn't relearned with a scan tool. Make sure you idle in park at least 3 minutes.
I found out that they did the relearn. Only been a 100 miles since replaced. When I got off the expressway by work today it's kinda downhill. 1-2 shift is good. 2-3 and 3-4 the rpm will get up to 2200 to 2300 and drop then get back up there and shift. I don't get why the drop then the shift. Like it's delayed? Is it my car is still trying to adjust to how i drive?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope it relearns soon. Got a jerky 2-3 shift coming off expressway to work today. Only been around 200 miles since the throttle body replacement / relearn

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,963 Posts
If the mechanic that replaced the throttle body performed the relearn, the shifts probably aren't related. Throttle relearn will have more of an impact on idle if anything - at least in my experience. Replacing the throttle body will take care of P2135 and the subsequent engine power reduced but it won't change the transmission shift quality issues you've described for a long time.

Now if it is worse than before... it could be a) the relearn actually wasn't done or failed, b) the transmission clutch adaptives are so out of whack from the failing throttle body they are poorly learned, or c) the properly learned and working throttle body is exasperating the previous transmission shift quality. If the problem you describe continues I'd drive to 500 miles or 1 week (don't wait too long) and call the shop. They can scan for codes, learn it again if they think that might help or perhaps forgot, or run the adaptive fast learn on the transmission.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the mechanic that replaced the throttle body performed the relearn, the shifts probably aren't related. Throttle relearn will have more of an impact on idle if anything - at least in my experience. Replacing the throttle body will take care of P2135 and the subsequent engine power reduced but it won't change the transmission shift quality issues you've described for a long time.

Now if it is worse than before... it could be a) the relearn actually wasn't done or failed, b) the transmission clutch adaptives are so out of whack from the failing throttle body they are poorly learned, or c) the properly learned and working throttle body is exasperating the previous transmission shift quality. If the problem you describe continues I'd drive to 500 miles or 1 week (don't want too long) and call the shop. They can scan for codes, learn it again if they think that might help or perhaps forgot, or run the adaptive fast learn on the transmission.
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll give it to 500 miles and go from there. The car runs good and idles good.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,273 Posts
In the past, some people who have issues with the adaptive transmission algorithm have remedied the clumsy shifting by driving the car like they stole it for a day. Heavy acceleration seems to smack the adaptive learning out of bad habits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts