Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, All

Just want to verify something...I think I know the answer, but humor me nonetheless :)

When the car is started remotely before the key is put into the igintion

1. The rear window defroster comes on if the outside temp is below certain point

2. It cannot be turned off until I put the key into ignition at which point to turns off and I can use the button normally.

The manual doesn't do a good job explaining this specific behavior. In fact it says that the buttons should all be disabled (which is simply incorrect) and there's nothing about brigning the defroster on.

3. Before the key is in the ignition the button acts a little funny. When pushed it's either stays solid or if flickers momementarity and a click from the back of the car is heard. Flicker or not seems pretty random. Either way the net result is the same - the defroster stays on until the key is in the ignition.

Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the head's up, I'll have to check that out. I love the RS feature.

·
Registered
569 Posts
At What temp does it automatically come on?

I remote start just about every morning, The lowest being 24F and only the front defroster/heat comes on. Nothing else

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
At What temp does it automatically come on?

I remote start just about every morning, The lowest being 24F and only the front defroster/heat comes on. Nothing else
I actually presumed it'd come on based on temp and wanted someone else to confirm.

Temps are about 3 C (37.40 Fahrenheit) these days here (give or take) and it comes on all the time.
I think someone mentioned the temp dependency but I am not too sure. Also maybe it's trim dependent? Your LTZ has an auto climate control, maybe there's a difference there. And the year is different too and as we know the 08s and 09s are not exactly the same.

At first I was a little baffled, but when I started thinking about that I came to realize that this does not seem like a defect, it's too deliberate and I can think of logic behind that - i.e. there's no harm in starting the car remotely, letting someone in and letting them adjust the temp inside the car. But the defroster has no bearing on comfort, it's a driver's feature, therefore no key - no control over that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah with mine.. You cant control anything while its in RS mode.. other than turning it off.. I cant even turn the seats on when the RS mode is activiated. I have to put the key in and normal controls start working again but even set full auto only that comes on.. No seats or rear defroster

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah with mine.. You cant control anything while its in RS mode.. other than turning it off.. I cant even turn the seats on when the RS mode is activiated. I have to put the key in and normal controls start working again but even set full auto only that comes on.. No seats or rear defroster
that's more consistent with the manual...If memory serves it says that you can control the temperature but the buttons are disabled.

the manual has 2 sections - for a system like mine and yours with auto climate and the Remote Start paragraph looks like it was copied and pasted, it's identical.

Btw, can someone look in their 09 manual to see if says anything about auto defrost in Remote start mode for a manual system? I have a feeling my manual has an error in it.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Btw, can someone look in their 09 manual to see if says anything about auto defrost in Remote start mode for a manual system? I have a feeling my manual has an error in it.
Just checked my 2009 manual. Looking in both the remote start and climate control sections, there's no mention of any operation connection other than in the climate control area a small blurb about when remote started, the HVAC system will run whatever the settings were left on when the car was last turned off. If off, they'll remain off (well, at least with the manual controls) when started, and that the controls are "dead" if the car has been remote started and you're inside but haven't yet key turned. Zero mention of the rear defroster, except in its own section and not in relation to the RS.

I've seen my rear defroster come on with the remote start from temps at least in the 40's and below, and also seen it not at some slightly higher and above temps, but have yet to figure out at what specific one it's on/off.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked my 2009 manual. Looking in both the remote start and climate control sections, there's no mention of any operation connection other than in the climate control area a small blurb about when remote started, the HVAC system will run whatever the settings were left on when the car was last turned off. If off, they'll remain off (well, at least with the manual controls) when started, and that the controls are "dead" if the car has been remote started and you're inside but haven't yet key turned. Zero mention of the rear defroster, except in its own section and not in relation to the RS.

I've seen my rear defroster come on with the remote start from temps at least in the 40's and below, and also seen it not at some slightly higher and above temps, but have yet to figure out at what specific one it's on/off.
Yours is a 2LT so it seems to act the same as mine. In reality, are your controls dead in RS mode or just the defroster? In mine I can turn on/off AC and recirculation, but not the defroster.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Yours is a 2LT so it seems to act the same as mine. In reality, are your controls dead in RS mode or just the defroster? In mine I can turn on/off AC and recirculation, but not the defroster.
I think that's the way mine are, too, so I don't think they're "dead" per say. Heated seats and all else is...not sure on the rear defroster, as far as kicking it off/on manually while in RS mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I just found out this morning that my Rear defrost comes on I do the RS and when it reaches a certain temp and that temp is COLD!!
While not North pole cold, it's cold enough around here right now, so I'll keep an eye on it as the week and weekend goes and see if it comes on all the time.

Hey, this car tells me when it's cold enough to have "Ice Condtions", so I'm sure it's smart enough to know when the rear window needs some Heat.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Well, I just found out this morning that my Rear defrost comes on I do the RS and when it reaches a certain temp and that temp is COLD!!
While not North pole cold, it's cold enough around here right now, so I'll keep an eye on it as the week and weekend goes and see if it comes on all the time.

Hey, this car tells me when it's cold enough to have "Ice Condtions", so I'm sure it's smart enough to know when the rear window needs some Heat.
Precisely, yes;)

Essentially the system is programmed to kick the rear defroster on below a certain temp assuming the car is likely parked outside in such a case and, at when that cool, there's at least fog on the rear window to clear. Just don't know specifically what that temp is, but I think it's in the 40's.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

absolutely it's smart enough :) I think it takes the temp into account deciding whether to run AC in defogger mode as well, there's something about that in the manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.