Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Malibu LT 2.4L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 LT with no factory remote start. I'm not sure how the system works so I was wondering if someone could explain how it works and If it would be possible to add the remote start system. I'm good at soldering so if chips need to be reprogramed or replaced I can do that.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,042 Posts
There's an RPO code that needs to be present. If not, then the dealer can't add it, either. I don't know the code, but it has been discussed on CMF before.

Knowing you, you can probably find the right chip and add it to your car if the RPO isn't there.

·
Registered
2009 Malibu LT 2.4L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's an RPO code that needs to be present. If not, then the dealer can't add it, either. I don't know the code, but it has been discussed on CMF before.

Knowing you, you can probably find the right chip and add it to your car if the RPO isn't there.
True lol but it will probably take some time to figure out what chip holds the RPO code.

I’ll post again on this thread about what I find out and if I can add the new RPO code

·
Registered
2009 Malibu LT 2.4L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Do all LTZ cars have remote start? If they do I have a BCM from a LTZ. I have put it my car before and the car starts but I just can’t unlock or lock the car doors with the key fob so if I just program key fobs with remote start would it work?

·
Administrator
20,042 Posts
To my knowledge, all Gen7 LTZ models have RKS.

The vehicle needs the RCDLR and VCIM to use the fobs. Your car may already have one or both, but they may need some adjustments, which you're capable of doing.

·
Registered
2009 Malibu LT 2.4L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To my knowledge, all Gen7 LTZ models have RKS.

The vehicle needs the RCDLR and VCIM to use the fobs. Your car may already have one or both, but they may need some adjustments, which you're capable of doing.
My car never came with VCIM. how does the VCIM relate to the remote start? From my knowledge the only things I need are the BCM and the immobilizer to get remote start to work

·
Administrator
20,042 Posts
RCDLR talks to VCIM, which then talks to BCM.

That statement should be accurate, but if it's not, please let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts