Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys do you know if the side moldings can be removed? the dealership said they can be but they have studs that would leave holes and require filling but I think they might have just been saying that because they didn't want to deal with it. any one know for sure? thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
hey guys do you know if the side moldings can be removed? the dealership said they can be but they have studs that would leave holes and require filling but I think they might have just been saying that because they didn't want to deal with it. any one know for sure? thanks
Umm...I think they do...it's a possibility. I've seen many old cars with the molding coming off that have holes left in the body panel.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I am pretty sure they are stick on's. However may I ask why you want to remove them? When I ordered my 09' I originally didn't want them, but the more I thought about them the more I decided to add them on. They will really help keep door dings out of your car. I think the moldings blend very well with the lines of the car and are not that noticable. Plus if they get scratched or anything they are alot easier to get "painted / cleaned" up.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Most body side molding on late model vehicles is attached with double sided tape.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i work at the gm lordstown plant, where we make the cobalts.... theres no holes in the doors for the body side moldings. theyre stuck on by a machine on the final line. it aligns itself with the wheel wells, and the rocker panels on the car, and it flips the moldings up, and sticks them on with some pressure.

let me say it again... theres NO holes on the cobalts. and im equally positive theres no holes on the malibu. peel them off if you dont want them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ya there are holes for sure, I bought the car and asked to get them removed and the dealer said that there where holes behind them....boo

·
Registered
144 Posts
Guy above me you are wrong there are holes, 1st day i took everything off and went for the molding only to find holes.
what did you take them off of? cause i just talked to my cousin who is the service manager at a local chevy dealer, and shes been there for years, and she just told me that there ARE NOT any holes. i agree with her, and stick to my original claim. no holes. if there were, there would be so many problems with water leaking into the holes on the side of the door panel. i work at a plant where we make 500 cars a shift, and i see EVERY cobalt before it goes to the finish line, and theres never ever been a single car go by with holes in the door. but, what do i know, i just work there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
would it be any different from 08 model year to 09? AND also why would they build 2 types of door panels or go through the trouble of punching out holes for those with or without molding strips!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im really curious now, because my dealer specifically said that they went to take it off and realized that there was holes underneath the molding. But so many people on here think that there isnt any. I wonder if there really isnt any holes at all!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
well, you could take off your door interior panel, and look inside the door to see if theres any holes with pins through them - if you really think theres holes in the door.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I really don't want to get drug into this argument, but I'll give my two cents. I purchased my car brand new. It is an 08 and it did not have side moldings on the car. The dealership tried to sell me body side moldings when I purchased my car to "protect from door dings and shopping carts". I however, politely said no thank you as I liked the clean look of the car without the plastic on the side. Yes this means that I always have to park at the back of a parking lot but I need the exercise anyways.

I do not believe that there are holds under the side moldings. Why would the deaership drill holes into my car to attach a piece of plastic? They are attached with double sided tape, just like 'almost' every other piece of plastic on the outside of the car. If you go to a GM accessory website it is something that you can buy and install yourself.

Bodyside Molding
Part Number: 19166633
http://www.greggyoungchevrolet.com/Content/pageone.cmf

By the way...for comparison, some new Fords are shipped to the dealership with the body side moldings in the back seat. All you do is take off the double sided tape and stick on.

Even the HUGE plastic side moldings on my old 00 Grand Am (that took of half the door) did not have holes in the door behind them. I agree that it would cause way to many issues with rust and paint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just about every door ding I've seen on this Malibu, around town,is a good twelve inches or so above the moldings.Usually just below the character line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.