Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 malibu ltz i want to replace the radio in it. The radio do have the bose system and steering wheel controls. However i want to replace the radio with another factory radio from the 2013 malibu, can this be done or have anyone did this. Any help

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,964 Posts
No.

The two models are completely different generations in design and wiring.

To use anything newer, you'd have to find a way to mimic the BCM conversations. Unless you can find something that mimics the BCM, it just ain't gonna fly. You need to look into an aftermarket radio if you don't want the stock Bose offering.

I have a 2011 LTZ and just recently finished replacing the speakers and amp. It was not a chore for the faint of heart and I learned more than I had intended. I still have more work to do, but for now it works well enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just curious if could be done. I do have an aftermarket radio that i plan on installing while keeping the bose sound system and steering wheel control. Thanks for you feedback on it.

Curious about another issue, why is it that you could never link your phone to the radio to play music but you can to make calls. Is it something i am missing or the car company set it up that way

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
That is how they designed it.

The Gen7 Malibu also was left out of a number of other areas. During the time that it was the current model, there was very little aftermarket support for it. Additionally, when GM came out with the smart phone app, most of the GM line-up was able to start their cars and trucks remotely, but the Malibu couldn't and still can't. Its BCM design supposedly prevents it, but the app will lock and unlock the doors, bring you info about the system, etc. It just won't start the engine. Just to be able to start the engine I would have paid to retain OnStar. (No joke.)

It was an award-winning model several times over, but without any support from its makers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the information, you are correct they dont give a lot of support...i got my car from the auction, it was fully loaded, i just dont like the radio aspect of it, like you said good car but left out some of the good features. What if you have remote star on your car (it is the factory one)will the app start you car.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
The app will do just about everything else, but it won't start the car in Gen7 models.

The only way to start the car with RKS is with the fob.

Unless you invest time and money into an aftermarket solution, but that was not your question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your help, i am going to pull the radio out and put in an after market radio....Just need to get the parts for it.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
The 2008-2012 Malibu uses a different interface for its radios. It's been a while so I cannot remember the exact numbers but it has to do with the GM LAN interface. Now, I was actually able to do this very similar thing you want to do with my Impala. Because the Impala and Traverse both used the GM LAN 11 interface, the radios are actually interchangeable and actually plug and play for the most part, except for a few mods I still need to make such as OnStar working with the system and adding a backup cam. The only thing is getting someone to unlock it because the GM Tech2 won't unlock the MyLink radios and I even had verification from one of the Chevy dealerships that they had to send the radio into AC Delco in order for them to be unlocked. I want to say that the 7th Gen Malibu uses GM LAN 45 but I could be wrong but considering the 8th gen Malibu uses MyLink for the majority of its models, it would most likely not work at all with the onboard computer systems. The Traverse used a very similar radio as a base radio to the Impala, which actually looks almost identical to the radio found in the 7th gen Malibu but they are not interchangeable either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts