Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know wether there is a smaller chrome bow tie that I can use as a replacement for the original gold bow tie?

·
Registered
171 Posts
thanks Pizza Man I really like what Amge63 did with his. I guess it would be difficult to find the vinyl in my blue though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanks Pizza Man I really like what Amge63 did with his. I guess it would be difficult to find the vinyl in my blue though.
Pwinsky, I got mine off eBay, originally made for Trailblazers. I had to trim it to fit. I mentioned to the guy that there are probably more Malibu owners that would want to do what I did, maybe he should start thinking about making them our size. You can write him at: [email protected]. He had a rainbow of colors...Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks Amge63 I will look into that this weekend!! I do not like the gold tie on the back of the car especially!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Amge63...where dod you get the vinyl. What size?

Refbean, for the bowties front and back I had some black high mil tape from my garage. It was not easy to work with, especially bending it into the crevices between the gold and the chrome bowtie frame. The stuff I got for the wheels and steering wheel came from ebay - see two posts above. That stuff was easier to work with because it was thinner. You can probably write that guy and see if he can cut you some custom colors. I won the auction for four bowties to go on the Trailblazer, I asked him for an extra one to put on my steering wheel. He sent it. But I had to trim all of them to fit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Where do you get the vinyl?
You could maybe get some "scraps" from a local sign/vinyl shop or something for cheap

But yeah you'll have to apply it over the emblem & then trim it with a razor blade/knife

It's a cheap & not permanent fix/solution though

·
Registered
30 Posts
Custom Bowtie Emblems

I've seen various discussion on the forums regarding the Malibu bowtie emblems, and I personally don't like the gold. I've seen color-matched, I've heard about chrome.... now I'm wondering if some of you can help me out before I make a decision for my own ride...

1. My first instinct was to color-match the gold to the Black Granite and keep the chrome surround, but I was told by the body shop that the gold is an "unpaintable" surface, which I could see because it's like a soft plastic... but if I was to paint it myself, what's the best way to do this?

2. I've heard some mention that you can literally "peel off" the gold portion to reveal chrome underneath... but doesn't this leave visible holes? How exactly is this done? Does anyone have pictures because I've never seen this...

3. If the emblems are physically attached to the body, how exactly do you remove them?

4. Are there any aftermarket emblems (all chrome) that actually fit a Malibu as of yet?

For anyone who has modified/custom emblems - if you could post any pictures you have to this thread, that would be awesome.

Thanks...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Custom Bowtie Emblems

I really didn't plan on modding mine but using vinyl would be the easiest and easy to undo. Ive looked at them but haven't gotten around to drawing up a design and cutting them yet.

I have cut some vinyl for my side qtr windows for the bisuiness logo and I have color matched vinyl for the red pearl color so I may give it a shot and see what it looks like installed over the chrome.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts

I've seen various discussion on the forums regarding the Malibu bowtie emblems,
I merged two similar Threads. Noise, if you check up thread you'll find the answer you're looking for.

The Search feature is our friend! ;):)

·
Registered
33 Posts
ryan at grafxwerks.com will do up anything for ya - i used him for years on all my pontiacs and the quality is top notch

·
Registered
30 Posts

I merged two similar Threads. Noise, if you check up thread you'll find the answer you're looking for.
I'm not really interested in putting vinyl over the bowties - I would like to have a true chrome option, or I would like to paint mine and want to know the best way to go about it...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Best suggestion would be to order you a set of replacements and get a shop to paint them or paint them yourself.. Its a matter of just taping up / prepping and painting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.