Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where i can find instructions to change these headlights out. I am going to put 10k or 12k hid's in as soonas i find out how.

·
Registered
574 Posts
That diagram is pretty helpful. You just have to figure it out first. Lol

Jack up the car and take off the wheel.
Take off all the pop-rivots and screws holding the wheel well in place.
Take the wheel well completely off.
The front bumper is held on by two bolts/screws, take those out and that side of the bumper will slide out (you will have to give it some force.
The headlight is held in by two bolts. Take those out, and then the headlight will slide out (with a little bit of force).
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
holy s$#t all that for a HEADLIGHT what is wrong with ten minutes of work. well guess i know what i am doing this weekend
thanks guys

·
Registered
574 Posts
No problem. Lol

Good luck with it. It is time consuming, but you will find that it is pretty simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea, I had a loose connection on my 09 bu headlight when we first got it. I took it to the dealer figuring it was a quick fix...... they ended up keeping the car overnight. I stopped in at the shop and looked at it and it looked like the whole front end was off of the car.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ahh... don't bother paying that much, it is really not that bad of a job. Set aside a little bit and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought there was a federal reg for how long it it should take the average person to change a broken headlamp, like 15 minutes. It should not take an hour to change a bulb, especially at night in the middle of nowhere! Something has to be done!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I think all of those instructions were to change the whole headlight assembly out, not just the bulb. ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Haha... Nope... It was to just change the bulb. Lol

The entire top engine cover has to come off, then the inner wheels wells, the wheel, the front bumper, the headlight bracket assembly... Then and only then can you get to the headlight. Lol

Reactions: Avidsky

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Are you serious? You have to completely remove the headlight assembly just to change the bulb? WTF!

I just looked at the owners manual for our 06 and it says you just have to lift the hood then unscrew the 2 bolts holding the headlight in then take the headlight out and replace the bulbs.
Why the hell would they make it so damn complicated on the newer Malibus?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, which is it? Do we really need to "The entire top engine cover has to come off, then the inner wheels wells, the wheel, the front bumper, the headlight bracket assembly..."?

I can't tell from under the hood how changing the "light sources" can be accomplished.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yea... By engine cover I meant that piece that goes from the bumper to the frame.

And, you can ONLY access that headlight from behind them, not from on top.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't all you new Bu owners feel like this is the only car that you have to take the front bumper off to change a bulb. I used to own a 02 Nissan Altima that you also had to take the bumper off to change a bulb. Just look at the configuration of most of the new cars and just how many do you think have the same problem?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Form over function I guess. I do remember my dad had a Sentra that required removal of the entire air intake to replace one of the headlights. I am not looking forward to this process on the Malibu, maybe they just want to ensure repair shops get some business. Does anyone have a picture guide to the bumper removal/light bulb change out process?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where can I find the Instructions on how to change the Headlight bulbs? With all of this Daytime Driving Lights; they are already Burnt out!
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.