Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Malibu LTZ 2.5 L
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 LTZ - I was reading the other day on Cars.com a question someone had about replacing the O2 sensors on their 2015 Malibu 2.5L. As I was reading the response, I noticed a couple of things mentioned sounded like my car. I've got 99K and change on my engine and am thinking I should replace the top sensor. What do you guys think?
Font Line Parallel Motor vehicle Circle

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
At 99k miles you are ready for new sparkplugs also. When O2 sensors totally fail they do set codes when inoperative.
Changing the O2 sensor, the one before the cat closest to the engine is good preventative maintenance as they do slowly wear over the miles getting less accurate / sensitive and that will affect mileage and performance.
I change mine when replacing spark plugs.
Cars.com looks like they are clueless about vehicles and just put out generic information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
At 99k miles you are ready for new sparkplugs also. When O2 sensors totally fail they do set codes when inoperative.
Changing the O2 sensor, the one before the cat closest to the engine is good preventative maintenance as they do slowly wear over the miles getting less accurate / sensitive and that will affect mileage and performance.
I change mine when replacing spark plugs.
Cars.com looks like they are clueless about vehicles and just put out generic information.
Hey man!
I just had the O2 sensor replaced (downstream) to get rid of P0138 and everything works well now...I didn't touch the sensor up front, car is currently at 46K miles (2015 LS)...Should I go ahead and do the sensor up front (upstream?) or wait it out until spark plugs? Also, is it weird that I had to make this change at 46K or nah? Thanks dude

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Hey man!
I just had the O2 sensor replaced (downstream) to get rid of P0138 and everything works well now...I didn't touch the sensor up front, car is currently at 46K miles (2015 LS)...Should I go ahead and do the sensor up front (upstream?) or wait it out until spark plugs? Also, is it weird that I had to make this change at 46K or nah? Thanks dude
Unless your losing MPG or it sets a code, I would wait until you change spark plugs at the recommended interval. Any sensor can fail at any time. Sensor issues are common in anything that uses them, cars, appliances, etc.

Reactions: itsideal
1 - 5 of 5 Posts