Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished an hour ago.

Quite pleased. My first set of coilovers. Do not regret anything!

PROS:
They function great. Tons of adjustments can be made to fine tune suspension. Turn in is sharp. Overall handling is tremendous over stock. Plus the look when it's lowered!

CONS:
This was on the outside of the box...I almost called the company to make sure these were the right ones lol.

Other than that, the package was terrible.

And none of the brake line mounts matched the stock location. Nothing a hammer and zipties couldn't fix (y)

Had the initial dampening settings 4 clicks from the hardest setting. Bouncing all over the place, feel every microscopic imperfection in the road. Backed off to 15 clicks from HARD, wow what an improvement! I could only adjust the fronts but still made a world of difference! I will probably go 20 clicks from HARD on all 4 corners since this is my daily driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After commuting for 2 days, the ride is stiffer than stock but that is not a negative and there is also 32 settings to adjust. I am 15 clicks away from soft on the front and still 4 clicks away from the hardest setting on the rears. The rear is too low to adjust without jacking up the vehicle, so I haven't got around to it. The car looks low but I don't get that sensation while driving. I mean drive-ability feels the same as stock, in a sense that I don't have to baby the dips or worry about speed bumps too much. Which makes me think I can go lower with no issues but just be more cautious.

Once I soften the rear to match the front I feel it will ride mint. BUT I do not bottom out. I have been hitting nice potholes too and there is no violent crash bang sounds. In fact, I feel it takes the bumps better because the suspension is more firm. Also, don't know if this is coilover related but the car does feel more direct when accelerating and braking. Almost as if the Malibu is waking up to it's potential. Next a tune for sure.

I never ridden in or drove a car with coilovers so I have nothing to compared it to but I am extremely pleased with the purchase.

I googled Rev9 coilovers for weeks before taking the plunge. From the intel it seems Rev9 is the sister company to Godspeed.

Godspeed's were around $630 compared to $497 for Rev9. My assumption is the only difference between them is the color and the brake line mounts might be correct on the Godspeed's? Is that really worth extra $133?

Rev9: $497
GM lowering springs: $295
Storm springs: ??? don't know exact amount but lets say $290 plus $60 shipping from Korea. $350
Godspeed coilovers: $630
ISC coilovers: $881 (These are the most professionally presented coilovers in my opinion)

You do usually get what you pay for (especially off Ebay) and Rev9 is the cheapest coilover. But I still think they are very underrated and would recommend them as an entry into the coilover world, no hesitation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very cool. I wondered about these.

Vogtlands can be had for $190 on ebay. See below. But it you have 75k+ miles on the car, it probably makes sense to upgrade shocks, struts and end links, in which case you are around the price of coilovers.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Malibu LT 1.5T 2016
8 Posts
Seems like Godspeed is what most use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PROS:
They function great. Tons of adjustments can be made to fine tune suspension. Turn in is sharp. Overall handling is tremendous over stock. Plus the look when it's lowered!

CONS:
This was on the outside of the box...I almost called the company to make sure these were the right ones lol.
View attachment 68623

View attachment 68624

And none of the brake line mounts matched the stock location. Nothing a hammer and zipties couldn't fix (y)

View attachment 68625

View attachment 68626

View attachment 68627

View attachment 68628

Had the initial dampening settings 4 clicks from the hardest setting. Bouncing all over the place, feel every microscopic imperfection in the road. Backed off to 15 clicks from HARD, wow what an improvement! I could only adjust the fronts but still made a world of difference! I will probably go 20 clicks from HARD on all 4 corners since this is my daily driver.

View attachment 68629

View attachment 68630

Hello brother, I am in the situation that you were recently, I have been deciding between installing air suspension or coilovers, the pair of coilovers cost around 600-700 and mounting the air suspension is around 3000 dollars, where you bought the suspension and how much did they cost you?

Can you send me the link?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got them from ebay, $539 after tax. I personally wouldn't go bags cause of the cost but it would be cool to see it on our cars. I feel for the "low" cost and the amount of adjustability, coil overs are the way to go.

UPDATE: Softened the damping settings on all four corners and holy crap is the ride perfect now! Lowered, not bouncy, ride is smoother than ever! Soaks up bumps perfect! Ride is better than stock. I am probably 1 - 1 1/2 inches lower than stock but have no issues with speed bumps or pot holes.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Malibu LT 1.5T 2016
8 Posts
Got them from ebay, $539 after tax. I personally wouldn't go bags cause of the cost but it would be cool to see it on our cars. I feel for the "low" cost and the amount of adjustability, coil overs are the way to go.

UPDATE: Softened the damping settings on all four corners and holy crap is the ride perfect now! Lowered, not bouncy, ride is smoother than ever! Soaks up bumps perfect! Ride is better than stock. I am probably 1 - 1 1/2 inches lower than stock but have no issues with speed bumps or pot holes.
Thank you for the information, but I called the dealer and they said that I cannot make that modification because i lose the warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts

PROS:

CONS:
View attachment 68623

View attachment 68624

View attachment 68625

View attachment 68626

View attachment 68627

View attachment 68628

View attachment 68629

View attachment 68630
Do you happen to have the torque specs for the hardware front and rear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
anyone have any issues with the dampening being locked up at 26/32 all my other ones max out at 32 but cant figure it out as well as if anyone is looking to go lower you can just remove the lock nuts in both front and back if your worried about the font you can get away with just one ive had no issues
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello brother, I am in the situation that you were recently, I have been deciding between installing air suspension or coilovers, the pair of coilovers cost around 600-700 and mounting the air suspension is around 3000 dollars, where you bought the suspension and how much did they cost you?

Can you send me the link?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts