Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 60 of 200 Posts

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,382 Posts
I understand an oil passage getting blocked if one of the valve pieces breaks off, but why would the cover have to be replaced?
I've gotta confess, I don't even know what a camshaft cover is. I know about an appearance cover, I know about a front cover, I know about a valve cover. Is the camshaft cover and valve cover the same thing? My gut says valve cover and camshaft cover are two terms for the same thing. The engineers in that bulletin call it the camshaft cover, I would have always called it the valve cover. If a valve cover, the problem is the busted parts from the valve can't be found and dislodged - if you just replace the oil control valve and leave one little stuck part, flow is compromised and you get code.

The hope is when removed and inspected the valve has no missing parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2015 Malibu requires repairs, mandatory to pass the emissions test, it is currently drivable but my plate sticker will expire soon. The piece required to pass, valve rocker, which is covered under my warranty, is on back order or not being manufactured currently according to my Service center. This piece has been at this status since Oct 10th.. I have used all available options in my city to keep my license plate sticker current and now it will expire meaning I will not be able to drive my vehicle. There is a warranty clause that is stated on the repair data form but the service repair center does not have information. I need help I use my car for home life and work and as of January 31st I will not be able to drive it. I contacted GM as well no one seems to have answers. Does anyone have any answers??
I have my service receipt where this part was replaced on my 2015 Malibu under warranty in October 2018 if you think it would help you at all I can send you a copy. No clue on where to get the actual part though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Before overhead cams they were valve covers, OHC now it's a camshaft cover, maybe. A rose by any other name.....
I've gotta confess, I don't even know what a camshaft cover is. I know about an appearance cover, I know about a front cover, I know about a valve cover. Is the camshaft cover and valve cover the same thing? My gut says valve cover and camshaft cover are two terms for the same thing. The engineers in that bulletin call it the camshaft cover, I would have always called it the valve cover. If a valve cover, the problem is the busted parts from the valve can't be found and dislodged - if you just replace the oil control valve and leave one little stuck part, flow is compromised and you get code.

The hope is when removed and inspected the valve has no missing parts.
Overhead valves, valve cover. Overhead camshaft, camshaft cover. Or maybe both, Alldata calls the valve cover a camshaft cover on a 2.5

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
you guys aren't the only one's confused by the name...I thought they might be talking about the cam cover but they seem to use camshaft cover valve cover interchangeably so perhaps that's it...

Bill

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just got an email from rockauto that they have the original part in limited supply.

for those who have not had pieces break out of the part and go into the passages in the valve cover that want to replace the part and take the risk of another failed part, but off in the future 30K miles or more...

Hope some folks who need inspections can get this part IF they don't have pieces in passageways in the valve cover to worry about.

Meanwhile I'm waiting to hear if GM's redesigned part is available.

BTW, I"m guess that this part is the original design: surely they will change the part number with a redesigned part that doesn't have the weak point the OEM did.

DORMAN Part # 916806: RockAuto
DORMAN Part # 916806
: RockAuto

·
Registered
2 Posts
If this helps anyone, I just got an email from Rock Auto that the Dorman 916-806 is now available. I don't know how many they got in but if you want to try go for it

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
They really, really need to fix the description of that part. "Variable valve timing solenoid actuator" is going to cause a ton of confusion because not only is it wrong, but it describes a more common wear and tear item.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok people...RockAuto.com has the Dorman 916806 in and I was able to order today and it shipped!. Hopefully this part works out! GM themselves won't say when they will have this part directly so hopefully this helps someone else too!

I was able to order Dorman 916-806 Engine Variable Timing Solenoid (GM 12633613) shipped today at RockAuto.com. If you need it grab it while you can!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Now 3 of us have posted that Rockauto has the Dorman 916-806 in limited supply. I posted at 8 am EST. LOL

I won't be helped because mine has broken pieces and I need a replacement valve cover--that's what my parts department manager called them, not cam cover.

Thanks to campb292 for posting the explanation of why some of us need valve covers and others may not.

I posted before I left to take my son's Cruze to the dealership for a window regulator repair. Second time after first 2 or 3 years ago midwinter. My Malibu is sick. His Cruze is sick. Is there a pattern here? :cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hope some can benefit. But I'd want to put in the updated part, if ever available, even if I was able to
use the current part.

I worry that those who have had the pieces break loose in their current valve, may still have check engine lights because of the passages that are partially blocked by those pieces that escaped into the valve cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I hope some can benefit. But I'd want to put in the updated part, if ever available, even if I was able to
use the current part.

I worry that those who have had the pieces break loose in their current valve, may still have check engine lights because of the passages that are partially blocked by those pieces that escaped into the valve cover.
I hope that's not a problem iny case. Not sure what to do then...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2015 Malibu requires repairs, mandatory to pass the emissions test, it is currently drivable but my plate sticker will expire soon. The piece required to pass, valve rocker, which is covered under my warranty, is on back order or not being manufactured currently according to my Service center. This piece has been at this status since Oct 10th.. I have used all available options in my city to keep my license plate sticker current and now it will expire meaning I will not be able to drive my vehicle. There is a warranty clause that is stated on the repair data form but the service repair center does not have information. I need help I use my car for home life and work and as of January 31st I will not be able to drive it. I contacted GM as well no one seems to have answers. Does anyone have any answers??
I am in the exact same boat as you! I brought my car in for service under warranty in October and was patiently waiting for the part to come, but now I can't get my inspection sticker due in 6 days! What did you mean by a "warranty clause that is stated on the repair data form"? I have a case with GM Customer Care as I called in with my complaint in December after my dealer said there is nothing more he can do for me. Does anybody on this forum know definitively if driving 600-800 miles a month with this problem could possibly hurt the engine or will eventually hurt the engine? I know at first the Service Dept. said don't worry as long as the engine light is not blinking. But won't it eventually start blinking if I drive it my usual number of miles per month? (I have been afraid to drive it much and have only driven 600 miles in over 3 months.) My car is driving rough at times and is hesitating at the lower speeds. It doesn't feel right to me. I can't imagine that driving with this faulty part is totally benign to the well-being of the car. Does anybody have any knowledge about this? How long can this go on without damaging the car?
Also back in October no mention was made about the camshaft cover needing replacing? That sounds like an expensive part/job! Would they have told me about that when they diagnosed it or can that part go bad also if I keep on driving my car with a faulty rocker arm oil valve? Any info that you guys, (being knowledgeable car people!), can give me is greatly appreciated!

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,382 Posts
Also back in October no mention was made about the camshaft cover needing replacing? That sounds like an expensive part/job! Would they have told me about that when they diagnosed it or can that part go bad also if I keep on driving my car with a faulty rocker arm oil valve?
Doubtful they would have mentioned that as they won't know until they remove the part and inspect it. If the parts that typically break off are missing the cover replacement is required. If they are there and the part failed for some other reason the valve alone can just be replaced.

As for the rest I do not know. A lot of owners have been stuck driving with it as is. I can't imagine the part has no meaningful function. It is just a matter of is performance reduced or is it actual harm occuring and I don't know. Did you check the recently posted source for parts availability? Several members were successfully obtaining the part there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doubtful they would have mentioned that as they won't know until they remove the part and inspect it. If the parts that typically break off are missing the cover replacement is required. If they are there and the part failed for some other reason the valve alone can just be replaced.

As for the rest I do not know. A lot of owners have been stuck driving with it as is. I can't imagine the part has no meaningful function. It is just a matter of is performance reduced or is it actual harm occuring and I don't know. Did you check the recently posted source for parts availability? Several members were successfully obtaining the part there.
I ordered my part off eBay and it was in about 3 days later. My husband changed it and found the bad one was missing an extremely small piece the springs were still intact just a flat piece of soft metal was missing. That’s how he explained it anyway. It seams to be running fine now but should we be worried that the tiny piece that was missing is going to cause problems?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Do you mean the original GM part #12633613 or the Dorman aftermarket part 916-806? I didn't think the GM part (new, anyway) is available anywhere on the planet, and a Chevy service person told me that the Dorman aftermarket part might not work to clear the engine light - a big risk. Would you personally risk paying someone to install the Dorman aftermarket part? If it didn't work, would installing the Dorman part (out of desparation!) void the original warranty (since expired) to get the GM part installed when it becomes available? I'm interested in what you and other readers think.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you mean the original GM part #12633613 or the Dorman aftermarket part 916-806? I didn't think the GM part (new, anyway) is available anywhere on the planet, and a Chevy service person told me that the Dorman aftermarket part might not work to clear the engine light - a big risk. Would you personally risk paying someone to install the Dorman aftermarket part? If it didn't work, would installing the Dorman part (out of desparation!) void the original warranty (since expired) to get the GM part installed when it becomes available? I'm interested in what you and other readers think.....
Well I was out of warranty and needed my vehicle mother of 3 girls.So yes I went with what was available.I was told from a GMC service person (family member) that he could order the part but he really had no clue when it would be in. I’ve seen a few use the Dorman part and it fixed their problem. At this point I’m just praying it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I was out of warranty and needed my vehicle mother of 3 girls.So yes I went with what was available.I was told from a GMC service person (family member) that he could order the part but he really had no clue when it would be in. I’ve seen a few use the Dorman part and it fixed their problem. At this point I’m just praying it works.
But it’s installed now and the car is running great so far but I’ll keep everyone updated whether it works or not.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,382 Posts
Do you mean the original GM part #12633613 or the Dorman aftermarket part 916-806?
Yes, the Dorman aftermarket part others were obtaining is what I meant. I totally agree the GM part is preferred but if that part availability is unknown and the situation is desperate there isn't much choice. The last rumor for the OE part was June and that is a long time running with that part busted - too many unknowns. The OE part could appear tomorrow... or it may never appear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your dealer does state inspections they may know of temporary waivers or procedures with DMV in your state for these situations.
Sadly I don't qualify for either waiver. one waiver is a economic hardship which I don't qualify for because it would suggest that I have paid for $250 in repairs (waiting on a piece that is on warranty) and the other I do not qualify because the total bill would have to be over $450 in order to qualify and the dealer does not list the price because the piece is on warranty. ??

I'd have one on order at a Chevy dealer. They are the ones who will get them first, every other supplier will be second.
Did you receive it yet? Mine has been on back order from my Chevy dealer since Oct. 10th

I am in the exact same boat as you! I brought my car in for service under warranty in October and was patiently waiting for the part to come, but now I can't get my inspection sticker due in 6 days! What did you mean by a "warranty clause that is stated on the repair data form"? I have a case with GM Customer Care as I called in with my complaint in December after my dealer said there is nothing more he can do for me. Does anybody on this forum know definitively if driving 600-800 miles a month with this problem could possibly hurt the engine or will eventually hurt the engine? I know at first the Service Dept. said don't worry as long as the engine light is not blinking. But won't it eventually start blinking if I drive it my usual number of miles per month? (I have been afraid to drive it much and have only driven 600 miles in over 3 months.) My car is driving rough at times and is hesitating at the lower speeds. It doesn't feel right to me. I can't imagine that driving with this faulty part is totally benign to the well-being of the car. Does anybody have any knowledge about this? How long can this go on without damaging the car?
Also back in October no mention was made about the camshaft cover needing replacing? That sounds like an expensive part/job! Would they have told me about that when they diagnosed it or can that part go bad also if I keep on driving my car with a faulty rocker arm oil valve? Any info that you guys, (being knowledgeable car people!), can give me is greatly appreciated!

On the Repair Data Form it says 'Your vehicle may be covered under warrant pursuant to Section 207 of the Clean air Act (42 USC 7541)" No one seems to know what this actually means I have tried to research it myself to see if my car qualifies.

After reading through the act our the car qualifies for replacement no one wants to help with this.

41 - 60 of 200 Posts