Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

101 - 120 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok Malibu owners. I "know a guy who knows a guy" who was able to find a used VVT lift solenoid from a 2015 Impala with 43K on the odometer. No check engine light and the part is completely intact. If anyone wants it, PM me.

I'd prefer it go to someone who's "stuck" with a "Check Engine" light in a state where you are required to pass inspection to renew tabs.
You pay the shipping and you can have the part.

18 FEB update: Part has been spoken for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did yours turn out? Mine has quite a few miles on it now and is working fine with the Dorman part.
I just got the original oil control valve off and it does not appear to be missing any parts. So on one hand, I'm relieved by the fact that I'm probably not going to have to replace the cam cover. On the other, I am a little puzzled as to what might be causing the random light knocking sound I'm hearing. The stalling sensation can be easily explained away by a bad oil control valve. But considering this problem started less than two weeks after getting an oil change (5w 20 synthetic as it should be), I'm wondering if I've got bad oil (it was at one of those "10 minute and you're out the door" places).

So before installing the new oil control valve, I'm wondering if maybe I should do an oil change and see if that clears up the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been searching for this piece also. It’s ridiculous how this piece is unavailable pretty much everywhere. I placed an order for this piece 916-086 at summit racing on 12/22/2019 and received 2 emails both pushing the order back to March. However, they emailed again in on Saturday 2/1 saying the order was shipped and received my order Tuesday 2/4/20. Maybe you should try ordering at summit if you haven’t already or haven’t found it anywhere else. Good luck
Im not having any luck finding the part on the site. did you call over the phone and speak with summit???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im not having any luck finding the part on the site. did you call over the phone and speak with summit???

Shows "Not available" now. It wasn't that long ago they were showing March delivery, then later. Looks like they gave up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My check engine light started to come on and stay in December. Only place that could diagnose the problem was my local dealership. Stating its the same part that is the problem. The dealership ordered it and had me pay for parts and labor already however they were told it is back ordered by GM with no ETA. if the part has been discontinued why have'nt GM let all dealerships know. Does any one know if its safe to continue driving the vehicle? The dealership said yes however I have noticed the care driving more poorly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got the original oil control valve off and it does not appear to be missing any parts. So on one hand, I'm relieved by the fact that I'm probably not going to have to replace the cam cover. On the other, I am a little puzzled as to what might be causing the random light knocking sound I'm hearing. The stalling sensation can be easily explained away by a bad oil control valve. But considering this problem started less than two weeks after getting an oil change (5w 20 synthetic as it should be), I'm wondering if I've got bad oil (it was at one of those "10 minute and you're out the door" places).

So before installing the new oil control valve, I'm wondering if maybe I should do an oil change and see if that clears up the problem?
My experience with these engines is that they aren't picky about oil as long as it's changed regularly, but it's cheap to find out if that might be the issue. Hesitation and generally grumpy engines can be caused by so many other things.

You might want to start a new thread on your issue, it sounds a bit more complex than others here. I'd be real skeptical of the original part on yours because of the way it's acting, it's either had parts broken off or is darn good at imitating one that has.

Your codes are for "the thing didn't switch when I told it to" which to me means the valve is working as far as the ECM can tell, it's just the system not switching modes. That same code is used by many manufacturers and if you Google it, you'll see a bunch of guys with Honda engines that have garbage on the screens that prevent oil flow from engaging the high lift system. If the solenoid was on the fritz, I'd expect to get a code more like "My switch is broken".

·
Registered
16 Posts
My check engine light started to come on and stay in December. Only place that could diagnose the problem was my local dealership. Stating its the same part that is the problem. The dealership ordered it and had me pay for parts and labor already however they were told it is back ordered by GM with no ETA. if the part has been discontinued why have'nt GM let all dealerships know. Does any one know if its safe to continue driving the vehicle? The dealership said yes however I have noticed the care driving more poorly.
Is your "Check Engine" light flashing as your drive or just on steady? If it's flashing, I'd say definitely not drive it. if it's just on steady, you are probably OK, just don't take any cross-country road trips. It's not optimal, but the alternative is to park the car until parts are ready.

My guess is that there could be a redesign of the part coming, so they shut down the line to switch it over to whatever the new part will be. You can't build two parts at the same time, hence the interruption. Probably not helped by the virus outbreak that has everybody scared out of their minds as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I asked three separate mechanics whether or not it's safe to drive the car in this condition (hesitating, which I've been told is due to "misfiring", riding "rough", and using excessive fuel) they all told me it's not good for the car and risks damage to the catalytic converter as well as other parts. They explained that raw fuel may be dumping into the catalytic converter, damaging it. The dealership told me there was no problem driving the car like this, but the mechanics I consulted outside of the dealership said I should not go for many months on end, driving the car in this condition. One mechanic told me not to drive the car more than one month more before getting it fixed. (He didn't know the part was not available.) It may be "safe" for people to drive the car, but from what I've learned it's not "safe" for the car's health to be driving the car in this condition month after month.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
When I asked three separate mechanics whether or not it's safe to drive the car in this condition (hesitating, which I've been told is due to "misfiring", riding "rough", and using excessive fuel) they all told me it's not good for the car and risks damage to the catalytic converter as well as other parts. They explained that raw fuel may be dumping into the catalytic converter, damaging it. The dealership told me there was no problem driving the car like this, but the mechanics I consulted outside of the dealership said I should not go for many months on end, driving the car in this condition. One mechanic told me not to drive the car more than one month more before getting it fixed. (He didn't know the part was not available.) It may be "safe" for people to drive the car, but from what I've learned it's not "safe" for the car's health to be driving the car in this condition month after month.
The car is not dumping raw fuel into the cat. I would bet that all three of those mechanics are not actually clear on the purpose of the oil control valve because it's a new and rare piece of technology. They are probably looking at the computer fault code and basing their conclusion on that.

It would be ideal to get the part replaced asap, but take the doomsayers with a grain of salt.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,675 Posts
The after-cat O2 sensor will detect if the system is working. The pre-cat sensor will detect if there's not enough air in the exhaust and the ECM will adjust accordingly.

Unless those sensors are on the fritz, how else would that much fuel get into the exhaust?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The car is not dumping raw fuel into the cat. I would bet that all three of those mechanics are not actually clear on the purpose of the oil control valve because it's a new and rare piece of technology. They are probably looking at the computer fault code and basing their conclusion on that.

It would be ideal to get the part replaced asap, but take the doomsayers with a grain of salt.
I got my info from consulting two mechanics who work professionally answering questions on "JustAnswer", an online help service. They said they were GM qualified mechanics. They both mentioned the catalytic converter and I have a text chat of what he said, "Many months would likely damage the converter yes, not directly but if it runs overly rich (which it sounds like it is due to the poor fuel economy) it could allow more fuel into the exhaust and that's bad for converters." It's possible he was mistaken, but I did tell him exactly what the diagnosis was.... A third mechanic mentioned two other possible parts that risk being damaged if nothing is done to fix the car - the timing chain and gear assembly. I'm a piano teacher so I'm no expert on cars, as you probably can tell :), but it just doesn't seem logical that driving the car for many more months on end in this condition is not hurting anything (as my local dealership is claiming.)
The following excerpt on this topic is from this website: Symptoms of a Bad Oil Control Valve (and How it Works)
Symptoms of a Bad Oil Control Valve (and How it Works)
by autotechnician Updated November 20, 2019
"And also the fuel economy is what will be affected the most. Remember if the oil control valve doesn’t manage the flow of oil properly then it will cause the engine to overperform and use up more fuel. This means you’ll be spending more money on gas while causing your exhaust valves to open and close at the wrong time.
Sooner or later, the internal components of your engine will get damaged as a result. That is why it is best to take care of these problems as soon as you notice them happening. It is a lot cheaper to change your oil or replace the oil control valve then it is to replace your engine."
If the redesigned part is not going to be available until the summer (or who knows when?), I personally don't feel it's harmless for the car to be driven in this condition for that many more months. I can't afford more expensive repairs - this issue happened when my car was still under warranty but now it is out of warranty since Dec. 31.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,881 Posts
Those are very much cookie cutter responses. Running rich isn't going to "damage" the catalytic converter, it just increases the rate of wear, and "Sooner or later the internal components of your engine will get damaged" is just pointing out the same thing.

These are vague statements to encourage you to maintain your car with a sense of urgency. Keep an eye out for the part to come in stock and replace it when you can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have been looking for this part for our Malibu since September 12, 2019. GM is rude and won't ever call back. They admit the part is back in the engineering stage. IF you find one it's more than triple the price. So the car has been sitting for 6 months while I'm trapped at home with several medical issues. This is just not right and I will never own anything made by GM again. The AMERICAN PEOPLE bailed this company out, this is the thanks we get. A giant middle finger wave as they tell you it's not their problem, it's out of warranty.:mad:

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
We have been looking for this part for our Malibu since September 12, 2019. GM is rude and won't ever call back. They admit the part is back in the engineering stage. IF you find one it's more than triple the price. So the car has been sitting for 6 months while I'm trapped at home with several medical issues. This is just not right and I will never own anything made by GM again. The AMERICAN PEOPLE bailed this company out, this is the thanks we get. A giant middle finger wave as they tell you it's not their problem, it's out of warranty.:mad:
I believe we all agree things like this shouldn't happen on a 5-7 year old car. Weeks of shortage, maybe, but months... No. GM should have stock and if a redesign is needed (or even occurring and not an excuse) there should be enough of the old stock to fill the gap. Bummer you missed out when it was in stock a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, you have to check everywhere daily as those in the most need are continually checking and get it first. Good luck and I hope you get it soon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe we all agree things like this shouldn't happen on a 5-7 year old car. Weeks of shortage, maybe, but months... No. GM should have stock and if a redesign is needed (or even occurring and not an excuse) there should be enough of the old stock to fill the gap. Bummer you missed out when it was in stock a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, you have to check everywhere daily as those in the most need are continually checking and get it first. Good luck and I hope you get it soon!
Just for the record - as many of us unfortunately know - Chevrolet isn't being any more considerate or helpful to those of us who had our cars under the 5 year power train warranty when the problem first occurred. Question for campb292: Since the part is being redesigned, won't the aftermarket Dorman part just have the same problem because it, too, was manufactured under the faulty design? And if we were "lucky" enough to get the Dorman part, won't that make those of us under warranty ineligible to get the new redesigned GM part when it becomes available? Rightfully, it shouldn't make us ineligible because of all the inconvenience (to put it mildly) involved. Now that we know it is a faulty design, it seems like those of us installing the Dorman part will be facing a decision as to whether or not install the newly designed part later when it becomes available. Might it be better to just drive the car as is and wait till maybe August (that's what my dealer told me..) when the new part will become available? Better than repairing this twice?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
@surprisedbyjoy No idea. I have no idea if the part is even being redesigned. This is rumor and speculation spreading from various parts counters and service advisors and may be true but it also might be a guess. If I needed the part I would get any OE or equivalent part. All parts aren't defective or there would be thousands of posts here, not dozens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@surprisedbyjoy No idea. I have no idea if the part is even being redesigned. This is rumor and speculation spreading from various parts counters and service advisors and may be true but it also might be a guess. If I needed the part I would get any OE or equivalent part. All parts aren't defective or there would be thousands of posts here, not dozens.
I contacted my state's Auto Inspection Dept. (Massachusetts) and spoke to a manager of a Motorist Assistance Center here in a neighboring city. He said that the state agency has gotten notice directly from GM that the part is being redesigned and is not available. So the state of Massachusetts is giving out a one year "waiver" that will allow the car to be driven on the road until the part does become available. (MA motorists should contact their nearest Motorist Assistance Center.) I would imagine that other states also received notice from GM and would extend the offer of an inspection waiver to those affected cars. It still doesn't solve the problem of my car running so poorly and consuming a lot of gas. My dealer said they expect the part to be available in August, but who knows if that is accurate or not....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone else sign up for availability alerts on Rock Auto and get a cryptic response yesterday?

"Thank you for your interest in purchasing parts from RockAuto. You asked to be notified about the following part:

Engine : Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid / Actuator
GENERAL MOTORS Part # 12633613

We are sorry to tell you that this part is still out of stock. However, we may have a suitable alternate for you. Please visit the RockAuto catalog under your year, make, model, and engine size to view available parts.

If you are still interested in receiving notifications on this part, please click on the below link and sign up for an 'Availability Alert'."

It seemed to hint that an "alternative part" might be in stock, i.e. the Dorman alternative. When I looked, I didn't see any in stock. Just oddly worded?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Anyone else sign up for availability alerts on Rock Auto and get a cryptic response yesterday?

"Thank you for your interest in purchasing parts from RockAuto. You asked to be notified about the following part:

Engine : Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid / Actuator
GENERAL MOTORS Part # 12633613

We are sorry to tell you that this part is still out of stock. However, we may have a suitable alternate for you. Please visit the RockAuto catalog under your year, make, model, and engine size to view available parts.

If you are still interested in receiving notifications on this part, please click on the below link and sign up for an 'Availability Alert'."

It seemed to hint that an "alternative part" might be in stock, i.e. the Dorman alternative. When I looked, I didn't see any in stock. Just oddly worded?
No that's how they word it if your looking for a specific brand of the part and other brands are available. I signed up for a alert last week. I don't need it now I'm just being pro active.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just asking - While waiting an undetermined amount of time for the part to become available, is everyone on this forum continuing to drive their car "normally", as many miles as usual, even if the car is driving poorly? Also wondering how many people who put in the Dorman part are still having trouble down the road a bit - engine light coming back on after being driven a number of miles?

101 - 120 of 206 Posts