Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

121 - 140 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
What are symptoms of Malibu that would cause you to need this part?
My car's engine light came on in October. Soon after I noticed excessive gas consumption and it was hesitating and riding "rough". I would like to know if others are continuing to drive their cars "normally" month after month with these symptoms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I've read an old forum posting about this issue, but it looked like it was closed out.

Anyone know of any updates on this part as far as if GM is going to replace it since they discontinued it or if/when dorman is going to produce more of it? The only place this part can be found is apparently on E-Bay and its selling anywhere from 375 to as high as $600 for the part. No one else has it. I've checked every parts store I can think of, called around dealerships, junk yards, etc. It's like it just disappeared off the face off the earth and only people on ebay somehow have these parts brand new that they are upselling like crazy.

Any information on this part would be greatly helpful. We might just suck it up and buy the ebay one if we can't find a solution, we need our car back, but I'm hoping this lack of supply will change soon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I've read an old forum posting about this issue, but it looked like it was closed out.

Anyone know of any updates on this part as far as if GM is going to replace it since they discontinued it or if/when dorman is going to produce more of it? The only place this part can be found is apparently on E-Bay and its selling anywhere from 375 to as high as $600 for the part. No one else has it. I've checked every parts store I can think of, called around dealerships, junk yards, etc. It's like it just disappeared off the face off the earth and only people on ebay somehow have these parts brand new that they are upselling like crazy.

Any information on this part would be greatly helpful. We might just suck it up and buy the ebay one if we can't find a solution, we need our car back, but I'm hoping this lack of supply will change soon.

Thanks!
My dealer told me that they expect the part sometime around August! Many more months to go, it looks like.... I read on another forum (an online GM petition website) that once this part malfunctions, it is possible that metal shavings from the defective part can get into the engine compartment and necessitate an engine compartment cleaning that can cost $1500! This is very worrisome since many of us have been told it's fine to keep driving the car with this part malfunctioning. I've also read that the Dorman part doesn't always solve the problem and the engine light sometimes returns after a while, maybe because of this issue of metal shavings or maybe something else - who knows? I do know from the MA Motor Vehicle Inspection Agency (who was notified by GM) that the part is definitely being redesigned, so it makes sense that the Dorman part (based on the original design) may have the same problem as the original GM part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check your local O’Reilly auto parts. The one near me had one in stock and when I called, verified they actually had the part. I looked around and found a couple other stores that showed one in stock.

My guess is that Dorman is doing a “round robin” delivery of parts when they make them, shipping some to Summit, some to AutoZone, some to O’Reilly, etc. We’ll just have to keep our eyes open for where they pop up next.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I stopped at my dealer today since they said weeks ago they had ordered 9 aftermarket oil control valves for cars they had lined up. GM had approved using aftermarket with customer approval.

Parts department guys acknowledged they had gotten 2 and said I had to see the service writers. They take care of any scheduling. I had gotten NO call from parts that the valves were in or that my car could be getting one. They have several on the lot that need valves that were traded in.

I am getting the aftermarket put in tomorrow along with a new intake manifold and whatever else is needed.
Hope it works. Then in the fall, I'll pay to have the improved part put on.

We were getting ready to ask dealer for loaner to take on trip or going to rent a car for a trip to TN. Don't want to drive the Malibu even though it runs nicely. The gasoline mileage is somewhat lower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings from Toronto. I have been watching this board for months waiting on this part for my 2014 Malibu. After seeing imidazol97s post I called my dealer and they had 5 in stock. Its the dorman part not the GM part. I ran over and picked one up to take to my mechanic. When I picked up the part I asked how much longer on the gm part and he told me they were still on backorder and then another guy yelled not anymore. They got a bulletin two weeks ago saying the part was no longer on order and dealers were to rely on aftermarket parts or local parts whatever that means. I just got the car back today and they had to replace the cam cover as others said. It cost CAD 770 all said and done. A lot of money but car runs great again at only 175000 km.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wonder if the emissions warranty or drivetrain warranty will cover this part for some folks.
I'd keep any receipts, because I'd expect a major recall before long on this. The original sheet someone posted from NHSTA and GM showed the original part and one with pieces that had broken loose in the failure. It also mentions the emissions warranty somewhere on that sheet.

Again, I'd keep any receipts for repayment in the end of this. A major failure.

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw a late 2017 date on the info that this failure had started to happen. 2.5 years ago? If I'd heard of it earlier, I would have replaced the original with a Dorman or Gm part that was new to avoid a failure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu everyone with this problem should call Chevy customer care or email them their number is on line. Weather what the miles are or if you bought it new or used this is terrible care from a car company! Would you purchase another one? Motor harm? No answers? Safety ?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
Make sure you keep checking with your dealer. The last few owners to post here were getting it from their dealer in the last week or two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
M
I just got the original oil control valve off and it does not appear to be missing any parts. So on one hand, I'm relieved by the fact that I'm probably not going to have to replace the cam cover. On the other, I am a little puzzled as to what might be causing the random light knocking sound I'm hearing. The stalling sensation can be easily explained away by a bad oil control valve. But considering this problem started less than two weeks after getting an oil change (5w 20 synthetic as it should be), I'm wondering if I've got bad oil (it was at one of those "10 minute and you're out the door" places).

So before installing the new oil control valve, I'm wondering if maybe I should do an oil change and see if that clears up the problem?
My oil control valve was not missing any parts either! It must have been the electrical componant on the part that went bad. Before I had it replaced the engine was missing but then again this part regulates the timing of the engine. The new part Dorman 916-806 fixed my problem. My mechanic said that the part is defective and this will eventually happen again. GM screwed us all again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
I just got my car back from the dealer, check engine light still on. I was told the part is no longer being made by GM and they haven’t released the Patents to after market suppliers. I am on a year long waiting list! Going to trade my car in now.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
I just got my car back from the dealer, check engine light still on. I was told the part is no longer being made by GM
That is the same info @SirJavier had - GM abandoned the part leaving it to aftermarket. FWIW, the dorman part can fix the issue as it has worked for many here. What it won't fix is if broken parts are stuck in the cam cover. Replacing the cover is part of the procedure in some cases. Can't cut corners on this one. If the car was bought used you wont even know if the previous owner cut the same corner. The part you remove may have the pieces intact but parts remain from a previous replacement. It's a mess. If you know your vehicle history and verify the part was never replaced, you can replace the part and hope for the best. If it still malfunctions, now you need to replace the cover as well but you may have compromised the new valve. If unsure, you replace both parts and it's done. Based on the bulletin, they know the reason for failure is those parts breaking off so I'd assume it happened and fix it right.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't think what the GM dealer told Julie Williams is correct. GM has authorized using the Dorman replacement parts. GM discontinued the GM version of that part.

I don't think there's anything about releasing a patent on this part for Dorman to be making the previous part. I suspect Dorman is still having them made and importing them. I do not know if GM is distributing them or if other parts retailers are supplying GM dealers with some of the replacements for use like the one put on my car.

I recall I was told that GM had a redesigned part in the fall. But it needed to be redesigned again when they tested it. So that meant the process started all over again to design, manufacture test parts, and test. I assume GM will not rush into a replacement design that doesn't have pieces that can move in the system on failure. That would be especially true as long as there's a supply of old design parts. People would complain about GM's redesign part just as we see the whining about the original part's having failed. It's not like other vehicle manufacturers haven't had parts not up to snuff.

Some posters have said owners bought another GM vehicle with extra help in discounts from the dealers. I know that my store had vehicles which they had taken in because they put the owners into other vehicles, new or used, I don't know. But the owners had to have transportation and made that choice.

My vehicle was driveable. Some variance in the programming but the computer adapted partially. My car had a piece or more of the bad part in the oil passages. I suspect how the pieces stuck in the oil passages determined how much the driveability was affected. I was lucky. But I was going to rent a car for a planned trip to Smokey Mountains.

I lucked out on replacement with a Dorman by GM, maybe because I could stop in at my local store every couple weeks and because I guess I'm a good customer at the service department.

Otherwise, I wouldn't want a GM voucher. They've discontinued sedans. They don't want me as a customer. The Malibu is dead because it will be sold for a few more years without any innovations or improvements with fewer options.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,678 Posts
No matter where you are in this debacle, owners are left holding the bag, and as @campb292 mentioned, even future owners of these compromised vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everyone needs to call GM and have a case started here’s the number +1 (866) 790-5600. They will assign a case manager. They will tell you they are escalating your case and they might even say they will call you every other day. I’ve had a case number for about 2 1/2 months now and am still getting the run around. Brandon was my manager then I got “moved up” to Nancy. Nancy promised to send me a customer appreciation voucher for $2500 toward s new GM product and then she seems to have fallen off the earth. But I’m not giving up. It’s simply not right what GM has done to loyal customers. My park went bad with two years still to pay on the car. I post on their Facebook pages (GM) and (Chevrolet). They don’t like that and private message me constantly telling me my case manager will call. That usually doesn’t happen. So until they finally send me a voucher I will keep up my persistence in reporting the problem every chance I get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everyone needs to call GM and have a case started here’s the number +1 (866) 790-5600. They will assign a case manager. They will tell you they are escalating your case and they might even say they will call you every other day. I’ve had a case number for about 2 1/2 months now and am still getting the run around. Brandon was my manager then I got “moved up” to Nancy. Nancy promised to send me a customer appreciation voucher for $2500 toward s new GM product and then she seems to have fallen off the earth. But I’m not giving up. It’s simply not right what GM has done to loyal customers. My park went bad with two years still to pay on the car. I post on their Facebook pages (GM) and (Chevrolet). They don’t like that and private message me constantly telling me my case manager will call. That usually doesn’t happen. So until they finally send me a voucher I will keep up my persistence in reporting the problem every chance I get.
Gm emailed me a voucher yesterday for $2500 towards buying a new GM car. It’s good for one year

I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu everyone with this problem should call Chevy customer care or email them their number is on line. Weather what the miles are or if you bought it new or used this is terrible care from a car company! Would you purchase another one? Motor harm? No answers? Safety ?
because I griped and posted and made phone calls
Gm emailed me a voucher yesterday for $2500 towards buying a new GM car. It’s good for one year.

CMF Edit: language edited

I just got my car back from the dealer, check engine light still on. I was told the part is no longer being made by GM and they haven’t released the Patents to after market suppliers. I am on a year long waiting list! Going to trade my car in now.
There is another part made by the standard motor company VVT401 that fits. There are supposed to be some coming to Summit Racing Company any time. I have some backordered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 2.5 Malibu and have been watching this for weeks. After some rough idle and odds sounds for a few days my car had the light come on. I took it in and they diagnosed this part as failed. However, they had no part. I have a couple other cars so shifted to driving those while waiting. FINALLY after a nearly month long wait my chevy dealer got in a box of 12 and called me. I had the part installed today for 350. After driving about an hour everything is fine. Another guy was sitting right by me in the waiting area and had a 2015 in getting the same part he had been waiting 6 weeks! I'm glad they finally fixed this part shortage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm glad to read that folks are getting replacements for the bad oil control valves.

How many on forum here are still waiting with a bad valve?

121 - 140 of 206 Posts